Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Call for England to have its own national anthem

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Yes we should have our own anthem. God save the Queen bores me I'm afraid. The Scottish and Welsh anthems are very up lifting.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Surely our national anthem should be about our nation not about the queen or king. God Save the Queen is one of the dullest, most uninspiring anthems out there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Odd for a labour MP to propose something that emphasizes England above the UK. How many pages before a mod moves this to the 'naughty' board, I wonder?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My main issues with GSTQ are:

1. It's so incredibly DREARY.
2. I don't believe in God.
3. I don't care much for the Queen, there's many people I'd rather SAVE ahead of her.

So, I'm all for choosing a new anthem. It would be good to have an uplifting anthem for England, and the UK anthem should be changed too.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I think God Save The Queen is a brilliant anthem,but it's a British anthem,Protestant Scots,Protestant Northern Irish and so on

England as a single country should have it's very own anthem,not sure what though

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
has no one said 'dirge' yet? the only time the word is ever used.

love GSTQ. blah blah blah dirge not uplifting the other little countries have much more fun ones blah blah

we have our own one, and its the boss of anthems. so what if its an anachronism - its the most accurate reflection of Englands pre-eminence in the English speaking world and recognised the world over - but no people would have that changed because the jocks upset us.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cut loose Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland completely, they can get their own Head of State. Ergo, no need for a new anthem.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love GSTQ - goosebumps when it's sung at football etc. And no I'm not religious or a royalist etc... It's our anthem as far as I'm concerned..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here