DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Who would you go for if Greer has recovered ? Goldson and Greer for me

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hmmmm that is SUCH a difficult one to call.

Greer would start every game for me if he is fit, but of the other two? I'm really not sure. Glad my surname isn't Hughton!

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Dunk and Goldson for me.

I'd be inclined to start with these and see how it goes. Although I worry about Dunk's concentration lapses and sometimes scary decision making they're things that will only go away with more match time, and being the "senior" member of the CB pairing might be the push he needs to step up. And with Greer on the bench Dunk would know that he needs to work hard to stay in the starting lineup.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
You're not going to drop your captain but injury may take that choice out of CH's hands!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Up until just lately our defense has been fairly solid. Losing key players like Bong/Rosenior, and especially those that have kept the opposition defences occupied thus making it easier on our defence, means i think all four of our defenders are good and i really have no problem with any of the combinations.
Hopefully Goldson can play like he did against Ipswich, he then could slowly replace Greer.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
No brainier - Greer and Goldson.
Dunk is a liability as shown in two of the last four games - QPR and Ipswich. Lost the team 4 points.
Goldson has waited for his opportunity very patiently. Greer's organisation and positional awareness will really help Goldson's game.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It doesn't take a gargantuan mental effort to imagine the 20 bleating threads on here as soon as Goldson makes a mistake

Quite. Most of the posts on here seem to be based (un)fairly and squarely on Tuesday night's game. Dunk has far more than enough credit in the bank this season IMHO to keep the shirt, and Goldson, although looking highly promising, needs to be brought on slowly and his confidence building. Last thing he needs is to get shat on by muppets as soon as he makes a mistake - which he will do - and have his confidence shattered.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd be inclined to start with these and see how it goes. Although I worry about Dunk's concentration lapses and sometimes scary decision making they're things that will only go away with more match time, and being the "senior" member of the CB pairing might be the push he needs to step up. And with Greer on the bench Dunk would know that he needs to work hard to stay in the starting lineup.

Don't get me wrong, Dunk made a monumental error in the last game, and he got sent off a few weeks ago too against QPR, but people forget Greer's recent performances which have been equally poor before his injury.

To be honest, I don't really mind which of our centre backs start as, on form, they're all of a good level for the Championship (and Goldson certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped after Tuesday), it's just that I think Dunk brings a slightly more rounded game than Greer. It's just a personal preference though, and I totally get why people want Greer in ahead of Dunk at the moment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is Greer fully fit and match ready? If he is, I think I would give Dunk a rest for a couple of matches - but I wouldn't want to bring Greer back too soon if it's only going to set him back again. In which case, I'd be quite happy with Dunk and Goldson - for me, it's all down to how fit Greer is.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Quite. Most of the posts on here seem to be based (un)fairly and squarely on Tuesday night's game. Dunk has far more than enough credit in the bank this season IMHO to keep the shirt, and Goldson, although looking highly promising, needs to be brought on slowly and his confidence building. Last thing he needs is to get shat on by muppets as soon as he makes a mistake - which he will do - and have his confidence shattered.
I disagree - over the last few games Dunk has shown a tendency to make an error in every match, be it a tackle that gets him sent off or a missed tackle that leaves an opponent through on goal.

For all the good play that there is from Dunk, and there is a lot, he does make costly errors.

Goldson has been sitting patiently on the bench watching that and in the last couple of games has come in a played very well. Give him a chance alongside Greer, see what the captains mentoring can do for him. From what I have seen so far, he is a future captain of out club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is quite hard to call. I have never much liked Greer, because of his sideways and backward passing, but otherwise he is very solid. Goldson had a good game against Ipswich, but I agree with all the comments about bringing him on slowly. I am most worried about Dunk at the moment. His head doesn't seem right, and he's been peculiar all season. So its Greer and Goldson for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is quite hard to call. I have never much liked Greer, because of his sideways and backward passing, but otherwise he is very solid. Goldson had a good game against Ipswich, but I agree with all the comments about bringing him on slowly. I am most worried about Dunk at the moment. His head doesn't seem right, and he's been peculiar all season.

Reckon Dunk is feeling the pressure of knowing just how vulnerable our defence is (and has been all season) against any team smart enough to run directly at us. With Greer out, he's the poor sap with main responsibility for putting a block in every damn time. Can't be an easy responsibility to shoulder for a still quite young lad. Must be a bloody nightmare in fact.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't drop Goldson after that performance on Tuesday. Marginally prefer Greer with him to organise the line and offer him a captain's type of support.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here