Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on guys, Surely it's a striker that we need!,

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well, with the opening of the January transfer window just 24 little hours away, surely it's a proven goalscorer that we need to sign first and foremost.

Think about it?, Hemed is completely off form, Zamora can't play every game, Wilson can be recalled at any tim, and Baldock isn't back from injury yet. Thats our four senior strikers spoken for.

We all know that it's goals that win games, and we simply haven't been, and still aren't, scoring enough. If we can somehow find someone who will bag us 10 to 15 goals between now and the end of the season, l feel that that should be our priority.

Yes another winger would be nice, and most certainly a left back, (although we appear to have Ridgewell now), but we have players for these postions who should be back from injury soon anyway.

An in-form striker is someone we don't have at the moment, so let's go all out and bag ourselves one, it could make all the difference come the end of the season.

A lot easier said than done I know.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I know getting into positions etc is part of a striker's job, but we aren't creating chances.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One of the wingers is also handicapped by having to play alongside Calderon.

Correct. Not having a LB who will bomb on in their natural position really hasn't helped Murphy. My god we've been unlucky I really believe that - roll on Jan and some players back ASAP.

Ps I think Wilson will be the man to net a lot of goals although another striker would help too... Hemed does a lot of good work but isn't a natural scorer..

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yes, we do need reinforcements in the striker department - hopefully Uncle Tony will deliver somebody in the next few weeks.
However, if you take a look at our results in December, we've actually scored more goals in those six games than in the previous six - problem has been conceding. We've let 10 in over the last six games. Before that it took us 10 games to concede 10.
Clinical finisher required – and a real tighten up at the back.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Since we lost LuaLua, Baldock and March, the strikers have had no service.

Well with LuaLua back very soon, and with perhaps Murphy switching to the right wing, we will have two wingers who, hopefully, can provide our strikers with some service.

Either way, unless we can somehome force the ball into the onion bag more often, our chances of promotion could well ebb away.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Correct. Not having a LB who will bomb on in their natural position really hasn't helped Murphy. My god we've been unlucky I really believe that - roll on Jan and some players back ASAP

Ps I think Wilson will be the man to net a lot of goals although another striker would help too... Hemed does a lot of good work but isn't a natural scorer..

So true. Watching Bong and Rosenior/Bruno steam forward has been reminiscent of watching Wayne Bridge marauding forward under Gus but on both sides.

Calde, bless him, just can't do it and our play becomes one dimensional.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
International clearance department at FA doesn't open until Jan 4th.

Don't expect a striker before then, and probably not before 5th/6th.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We all know that it's goals that win games, and we simply haven't been, and still aren't, scoring enough. If we can somehow find someone who will bag us 10 to 15 goals between now and the end of the season, l feel that that should be our priority.

While I agree that goals do indeed win games and the belief is that we need to score more, it should be noted that we have only scored 3 goals less than Middlesborough who are top of the table. The big difference being they have only conceded 12, exactly half of our 24, which to me indicates that's where the problem lies.

We would all love to see a 20 goal striker banging them in, but to be honest I would be happy to go back to us winning by 1 goal, 1-0 or 2-1. Shore up the defence and add some midfield cover and the goals will return naturally - though we do need more cover up front!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So true. Watching Bong and Rosenior/Bruno steam forward has been reminiscent of watching Wayne Bridge marauding forward under Gus but on both sides.

Calde, bless him, just can't do it and our play becomes one dimensional.

Yep! The best thing is that most of our fans recognise this, realise we're on damaged limitations until Jan 2nd and are sticking with the team. It's made me very happy that most fans on here seem to realise the position we're unfortunately in - mainly due to bad luck!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Highly risky to pin all of our hopes of maintaining momentum on a bought-in proven goalscorer. For sure it would be a massive boost, but that player could be crocked in his first game or rendered ineffective by a half-decent defence crowding him out of the game. IMHO the real key to maintaining momentum is to play the game much higher up the field with a 'shoot on sight' policy so the opposition don't know where the next goal is coming from. At the moment it's us that don't know where the next goal is coming from.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here