Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Centre Backs

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've got four first team centre backs, Greer, Dunk, Hunemeier and Goldson. When they are all fit, which two would you pick?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Although l was impressed with Goldson against Ipswich, it's still early days for him, and with Dunk having a mistake or two in him at the moment, I'd go for a combination of Greer and Hunemaier.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Greer and Goldson both right sided. If all fit and Goldson's performance on Tuesday not a fluke it's Uwe and Goldson/Greer for me.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
All of them have pros and cons- haven't seen enough of Goldson to make a fair assessment although he has stood out in the u21 games i've seen

Greer- Best communicator and organizer but poor in the air and not great at passing the ball
Uwe- No nonsense solid defender, however has the tendency to be a bit rash
Dunk- Probably our best all round defender, but is going through a rough run of form at the moment. Given that he was one of the main reasons we stayed up last season think some of the stick he's getting is a bit unnecessary, but does need to improve.
Goldson- Only played one full first team game so hard to judge, looks comfortable with the ball at his feet.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Although l was impressed with Goldson against Ipswich, it's still early days for him, and with Dunk having a mistake or two in him at the moment, I'd go for a combination of Greer and Hunemaier.

As long as their centre forward isn't taller than about 5 foot 8

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Greer - no pace, rarely wins a ball in the air, but good positional awareness, passing accuracy (apart from passing to Calderon, ever) and organisational skills
Dunk - makes mistakes, but has pace, good passing skills, wins aerial battles and tackles, covers for missing LBs
Uwe - doesn't win headers,has pace. good tackles
Goldson - looks good but lacks experience

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Greer - no pace, rarely wins a ball in the air, but good positional awareness, passing accuracy (apart from passing to Calderon, ever) and organisational skills
Dunk - makes mistakes, but has pace, good passing skills, wins aerial battles and tackles, covers for missing LBs
Uwe - doesn't win headers,has pace. good tackles
Goldson - looks good but lacks experience

Sounds right - although Greer doesn't do that badly in the air

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
cf: to Foster and Lawrenson.

I find Dunk to be more on the Foster type header of the ball as well as Hünemeier, whereas Greer is more the covering type akin to a much slower version of Lawrenson. I think Goldson is more a covering type as well.

So it is

Greer or Goldson

with

Dunk or Hünemeier.

The difference nowadays is not so pronounced as it was back in the seventies. Both central defenders are expected to be more competent in all skills.

To my mind the covering central defender is an important part of the spine of the side. Greer is a shoe in really, but looks slow and a bit jittery this season, and must actually been carrying an injury.

To my mind this is an important position and it is the best position to improve the side. A younger fitter version of Greer would be great. I like Mike Williamson (currently injured at Newcastle). Wages are huge for four months though until the 31 yo contract runs out. Whether he is acclamitised to the north is likely? Favourite to move to Wolves permanently this January. Coloccini is Newcastle first choice.

For the hell of it:

Stats % of won headers

Goldson 100% (3.3 pg)
Hünemeier 66% (7.6 pg)
Dunk 65% (5.4 pg)
Greer 64% (5.8 pg)
Bruno 64% (2.8 pg)
Ince 40% (3.8 pg)

Curtis Davies (Hull) 63% (9.5 pg)
Dawson (Hull) 61% (7.5 pg)

Ayala (Boro) 62% (5.3 pg)
Gibson (Boro) 54% (2.6 pg)

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite happy to move forward with Dunk, Uwe and Goldson (assuming that Greer's top level playing days are not going to last forever). Will Rea or Dallison be good enough to step up to be the fourth centre back, or will we have to go shopping again?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here