Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I got this book for Christmas and am racing through it.

Anyone else read it?

Its about the world of football scouts and was one of the sports books of the year last year. I just read the chapter that heavily featured Barry Lloyd talking about his role at the Albion.

I wonder if he is still there?

Excellent book. Highly recommended.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I bought it for one of my lads for Christmas. And one called 31-0 about football in the game's outposts. And Rafi Honigstein's Das Reboot, about the fall and rise of German football.

I'll read and review when he's finished them!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've had it a while and still not finished it. I like it in parts but sometimes I just lose track of it. He seems to jump from name to name at will and I have to keep going back to work out who the bloody hell he's talking about. That's probably me though because these days my concentration levels seem to be shot to shit :(

I'd probably recommend it as a read on here, if nothing else because it has quite a few Albion references. BG may even feature in there somewhere for all I know.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I've had it a while and still not finished it. I like it in parts but sometimes I just lose track of it. He seems to jump from name to name at will and I have to keep going back to work out who the bloody hell he's talking about. That's probably me though because these days my concentration levels seem to be shot to shit :(

I'd probably recommend it as a read on here, if nothing else because it has quite a few Albion references. BG may even feature in there somewhere for all I know.

Not just me who kept losing track of all the names then. Phew. It's a very interesting read - mentions Dunk, Steve Gritt and other Albion aspects too. Well worth a read but he needed to tighten it up a bit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Read it on holiday a couple of months ago. It's a really interesting read. It is amazing the poor pay and conditions that the scouts featured had to endure.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've read it as well. Quite a few of the guys mentioned are now involved with the Albion (but weren't at the time he wrote the book). Ewan Chester is one, but there are others too.

His next book, Living On The Volcano, is also a good read. Another one you can easily dip in and out of, as each chapter broadly deals with a different manager (including Chris Hughton). And there's some interesting stuff with Martin Ling, who at the time the book was written was recovering from his depressive illness and looking for another job. He was fearful that the mental illness stigma would put potential employers off.

Since then, of course, he got himself a job at Swindon, but left just before Christmas, for "health reasons". Sounds like his issues have returned. You have to feel for the guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here