Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not a kneejerk thread, this is based on the entire season so far.

-He doesn't get himself into good attacking positions often enough
-He isn't quick
-He isn't clinical whatsoever
-He is OK at holding the ball up and bring others into play, that's about it.

Was hoping we had signed another Ulloa but quite frankly he isn't up to it if we want to be top 6. With Wilson potentially being recalled and Zamora quite clearly not able to play 90 mins we need a first choice striker desperately.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a kneejerk thread, this is based on the entire season so far.

-He doesn't get himself into good attacking positions often enough
-He isn't quick
-He isn't clinical whatsoever
-He is OK at holding the ball up and bring others into play, that's about it.

Was hoping we had signed another Ulloa but quite frankly he isn't up to it if we want to be top 6. With Wilson potentially being recalled and Zamora quite clearly not able to play 90 mins we need a first choice striker desperately.

Did you hold this opinion when him & Baldock were starting up front just out of interest ?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Did you hold this opinion when him & Baldock were starting up front just out of interest ?

Yes. We were creating more clear cut chances then and he was still struggling to score anywhere near as many as he should. Even in the thrilling 3-2 win vs Ipswich away where he scored 2 of his 6 goals, one (apparently) brushed his head on the way in and the other came off his shoulder. Actually struggling to think of a 'clean' goal he's scored for us.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He needs to be played as a 2.
Agree e is not quick. Made good runs tonight but out paced by the CB a few times. This is the work Baldock used to do. His strength is his hold up play which is excellent. He is not a natural finisher but I personally was not expecting one. All the people who watched him play said he would get 10-15 goals and that is what we will get from him.
Think with everyone fit he would have scored a few more by now as the service may have been better. He's a decent Championship striker IMHO but he's not that guy who will net you 20 a year.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I've said before that I'm perplexed about what his qualities as a footballer are, and I must confess that after tonight's performance, I'm still perplexed. He is a non-entity of a footballer.

And for those thinking his hold up play/ ability in the air is good, they've clearly not been at the AMEX the last 10 games. His performance tonight was a genuine 1 out of 10 and I'm not quite sure how much worse it has to get for him to be dropped.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes. We were creating more clear cut chances then and he was still struggling to score anywhere near as many as he should. Even in the thrilling 3-2 win vs Ipswich away where he scored 2 of his 6 goals, one (apparently) brushed his head on the way in and the other came off his shoulder. Actually struggling to think of a 'clean' goal he's scored for us.

Fair enough. Hemed has never been a goal scorer. He is much more than that and should be bringing players like KLL & Baldock into play. Unfortunately since losing those 2 he has gone off the boil.

Agree he looks poor at the moment but need to judge him with better players around

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He needs to be coached by Bobby zamora on where to position himself .

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Have to agree. He has not shown that he is good enough at this level on a consistent basis. And why oh why did Hughton start with one striker at home, and at that a striker who can't score. Stupid decision. When Bobby came on he showed how a striker should play and clearly he should have started. If he's not got 90 mins in him then sub him when you have to, but he definitely should be starting to give us a goal early on.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Not sure who else would have done his role tonight. Bobby wouldn't last long enough and we have no one else to play that holding role as a lone striker.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He needs to be coached by Bobby zamora on where to position himself .

That and how to control a ball. How to run like a sportsperson, then how to run with the ball at his feet. How to jump at the right time so he stands a chance of winning a header against a CB. How to pass. Basically everything.

But most of all, he should be taught how to move off the ball. His movement off the ball is some of the worst I've ever seen at this level in my years of watching football and it is beyond infuriating as a fan.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Not sure who else would have done his role tonight. Bobby wouldn't last long enough and we have no one else to play that holding role as a lone striker.

For all the use Hemed was he may as well have played Manu as a lone striker, at least his pace might have caused some problems, yes he would have been offside 90% of the time and the ball would have been bouncing off him a lot but Hemed has had ample game time throughout a period when we have been at the top of the table and has not prove he is anywhere good enough to compete at this level. Another misfiring striker to add to an ever increasing list in recent years.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Not a finisher, or a clinical striker.
Watched Hemed in numerous warm ups and he strikes the ball so poorly for a striker.
The goals he has scored are questionable - Ipswich away goal flicked off his fringe from Stephens free kick, header against Charlton should have been saved, shanked finish from close range against Rotherham at home.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here