Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zoella and Alfie privacy issues in Brighton

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What did they honestly expect by essentially branding their day to day lives!?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1417...y_as_fans_flock_to_their_mansion/?ref=mr&lp=4

A COUPLE who made their fortune opening their lives to the public have told die-hard fans they need to “get a better hobby” and to stop turning up at their million pound property.

Zoe Sugg, better known by internet moniker Zoella, and her boyfriend Alfie Deyes, who runs YouTube channel PointlessBlog, took to social media today begging for privacy.

They said fans have been turning up their home to take pictures by their house number, have been peering over their garden wall, and even ride on their parents’ shoulders trying to get a glimpse of the couple.

Zoe and Alfie, who live in a five-bedroom mansion in Dyke Road Avenue, Brighton, run a multimillion pound YouTube empire, with 15 million subscribers between them, and have racked up nearly a billion combined views between their two channels.

But despite their public personas the pair yesterday launched a plea for privacy on Twitter.

Fans tweeted their support for the stars imploring them to call the police about the issue – with some saying it is “disrespectful, quite scary and unnerving”.

Some Twitter users were less sympathetic with one saying “welcome to the famous life, didn’t you see this coming?”.

Both Zoe and Alfie responded, with the beauty blogger saying “considering we did not set out to become ‘famous’…no. It is also not something we should have to put up with”

Alfie said “I certainly never ticked a box to become ‘famous’ or have people outside”.

The 22-year-old said die-hard fans needed “get a better hobby” as they took pictures posing by the couple’s house number and told them to “go away”.

He said: “Parents who drive their kids to our house and put them on their shoulders so they can lean over our walls to try and take pictures of us without realising – I see you.

“I am on the sofa in my pyjamas relaxing. Go away.

“If you want to meet me, I love that, come to a meet up just like everyone else who wants to meet me does.

“You cannot just drive to my house and climb our walls - that is really not fair.”

He also apologised, saying “sorry to moan but if you guys realised how many times a day this happen, you would understand why I get annoyed”.

Zoella, 25, also tweeted saying she was “really starting to lose my patience with people just turning up at hour house and peering in or ringing our bell” – adding it “makes me hate our house”.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
They are both utter twats whose fame has gone to their heads - speaking from personal experience of having worked with them.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I was in a coffee shop a few days before Christmas and a mother/daughter (daughter about 10yo) were discussing going to "Zoella's House" with the woman behind the counter and then I thought it was a little creepy.

Saw them a few days later in the corner shop and they were complaining to the guy behind the counter how they had been asked to leave having practically camped on her garden "yesterday" wanting to see Zoella.

So twice in a week they had just stalked the girl.

I wouldn't expect a 10yo to realise why this is wrong, but the mother definitely should. If you want to see your celebrity idol, get a picture taken, get an autograph, whatever... you go to a book signing, wait at the stage door, go to the Amex christmas party, or whatever event that your idol has agreed to be in the public domain at. Everybody has a right to privacy in their own home, whoever they are, whatever they do, however much of a publicity junky they are.

I am 100% behind this couple (whoever the f*ck they are, I had never heard of either of them until a couple of weeks ago!) and hope that the parents of these little darling take heed or face being taken away by the old bill [in front of their kids] for harassment. I don't care whether these two court the public eye online, on tv, in movies or wherever... they play a part, as a job, and deserve the chance to go home after work and relax!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
My daughter tells me there are plenty of ways to meet them without invading their privacy, meet and greets, book signings and the like. No matter how 'famous' someone is and how theyve achieved that they deserve privacy in their own home.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
No idea who they are. But starting a YouTube channel is no different from being an actor, musician or anything else. Everybody is entitled to privacy in their own home.

They could always hire security if it bothers them so much :shrug:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
They are both utter twats whose fame has gone to their heads - speaking from personal experience of having worked with them.

Genuine question, what did you do whilst working with them? I thought all people like this did was post videos on youtube and make money off ad revenue/promotions?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
No idea who they are. But starting a YouTube channel is no different from being an actor, musician or anything else. Everybody is entitled to privacy in their own home.

They could always hire security if it bothers them so much :shrug:

That's just reminded me of a joke from Jimmy Carr...

"Simon Cowell spends £250,000, of his own money, on security every year. £250,000... imagine that. You know, he could just try being a little less of a c*nt."

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Genuine question, what did you do whilst working with them? I thought all people like this did was post videos on youtube and make money off ad revenue/promotions?

In both cases, I was involved with attempting to arrange book signings for the books they've published - I can't say written in either case because Alfie's is basically a glorified colouring-in book and Zoella's was written by someone else (a fact she neglected to mention in her promotion of the book).

Ultimately, neither signing happened because their requests and demands were so unrealistic that it simply wasn't viable - I forget which, but one of them actually made the suggestion (via their 'people') that the signing should be held in the middle of Churchill Square and that the shopping centre should be closed for general business for the duration of it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Never heard of them until I read the Argus article, now I know where they live, not that I give a toss.But i would have thought this article has given them more publicity, and also told their fans where they live, the ones that didn't already know obviously.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
In both cases, I was involved with attempting to arrange book signings for the books they've published - I can't say written in either case because Alfie's is basically a glorified colouring-in book and Zoella's was written by someone else (a fact she neglected to mention in her promotion of the book).

Ultimately, neither signing happened because their requests and demands were so unrealistic that it simply wasn't viable - I forget which, but one of them actually made the suggestion (via their 'people') that the signing should be held in the middle of Churchill Square and that the shopping centre should be closed for general business for the duration of it.

So they're both full of themselves for having hoards of impressionable young fans who will buy any rubbish that has their name attached? Oh dear, can't say I have a great deal of sympathy in that case.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So they're both full of themselves for having hoards of impressionable young fans who will buy any rubbish that has their name attached? Oh dear, can't say I have a great deal of sympathy in that case.

I would say that pretty much nails it, yes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here