Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody Been to Tromso Recently?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
NSC sees all, knows all. So...

Going to Tromso next week, hoping to see the Northern Lights. It's about all I will be seeing due a certain shameful lack of research into the hours of daylight at this time of year i.e. there aren't any. Anybody know what's good to do during the day in the dark that won't break the bank?

Cheers

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hiking, skiing, whale/dolphin watching, fjords, reindeer sled trip. None of any of that is cheap though (except the hiking, which can be free) - it's Norway. In the winter, when they know you've got f all to do until the night comes around again so they hike the (already eye-wateringly high) prices. Oh - if you want to cause a binfest here - eat whale meat (or say you have, anyway).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm under increasing pressure from Mrs V to see the Northern Lights... Looks like the further North you go the more chance of seeing them. However, there seems to be an equal increase in cost too. Was quite pleased to see reference to being able to view them in Scotland periodically, hoping this becomes more regular.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm under increasing pressure from Mrs V to see the Northern Lights... Looks like the further North you go the more chance of seeing them. However, there seems to be an equal increase in cost too. Was quite pleased to see reference to being able to view them in Scotland periodically, hoping this becomes more regular.

I saw them (very faint) in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago. Don't give up!

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I had a good view of them in Sussex about 20 years ago, long before the vogue for paying large amounts of money to fly north in an effort to see them- something that is not guaranteed. Like so many things in life they come round when you least expect them.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Going on a cruise from Bergen to Kirkenes and back on 4th January - hope to see the lights at some point as well as go dog sledging and stay in the ice hotel - was my christmas present from her indoors...lucky me I think!!!

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
We're going Friday next week - have researched the normal things mentioned by Goldstone 1976 but decided not to book anything in advance, see If any deals when we get there, can't imaging that it is all fully booked.
If you are there before next Friday (8th) I wouldn't mind a few tips.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
you can get a free downloadable App showing the likelihood of the Northern Lights appearing. Get it and trust it. Do not be suckered into a Northern Lights chasing trip - they just don't work (although they're pretty good fun). We went on a night time snowmobile safari 20-30 miles north of Tromso to a glacier. That's where we finally saw the lights. Stunning. As others have suggested, dog-sledding is magical. But it's ALL expensive. Finally, get some drink from the airport - hugely pricey in Tromso. Brilliant place though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
you can get a free downloadable App showing the likelihood of the Northern Lights appearing. Get it and trust it. Do not be suckered into a Northern Lights chasing trip - they just don't work (although they're pretty good fun). We went on a night time snowmobile safari 20-30 miles north of Tromso to a glacier. That's where we finally saw the lights. Stunning. As others have suggested, dog-sledding is magical. But it's ALL expensive. Finally, get some drink from the airport - hugely pricey in Tromso. Brilliant place though.

Cheers for the tips. Already got tee'd up the app (I think) you're talking about. Seems to be based pretty much on whether there's cloud cover or not, but as it goes down to one hourly level over a three day span, it might just be a decent indicator. Link is here: http://norway-lights.com/#tromso

Definitely stocking up with duty frees at Gatwick. Had an idea of maybe bartering my allowance for a discount on some kind of action-based activity when I get there, or if that's not possible, and with beer reported as being 7-8 quid a pint, I can always just drink it instead. Looks like the Northern Lights might be about the only affordable thing on the bucket list to do. Would have liked to have done the whale watching thing but probably about as much chance of seeing whales in the dark in the middle of the day in Tromso as there would be in the dark in the middle of the night in Byron Bay when I was there a couple of months back, even if they were to issue us with a big torch.

But looking forward to the trip immensely. Got a very decent price for the flights from Norwegian Air (only fairly recently based in Gatwick and highly recommended) and cos there's a couple of us going, to stay in a decent hotel with breakfast thrown in works out at about fifty quid per person per night. Trick will obviously to be to try and eat 24 hours worth of food for breakfast or die trying. Will report back.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Alas no sun until Jan 15th when you will see 32 minutes and 26seconds of daylight. At 11.46am today the Sun was still 3 degrees below the Horizon, termed Civil Twilight.

I a sure someone else posted a Tromso link a few weeks back? Some work colleagues went there in June and it was snowing.

Enjoy all the same.

TNBA

TTF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cheers for the tips. Already got tee'd up the app (I think) you're talking about. Seems to be based pretty much on whether there's cloud cover or not, but as it goes down to one hourly level over a three day span, it might just be a decent indicator. Link is here: http://norway-lights.com/#tromso

Definitely stocking up with duty frees at Gatwick. Had an idea of maybe bartering my allowance for a discount on some kind of action-based activity when I get there, or if that's not possible, and with beer reported as being 7-8 quid a pint, I can always just drink it instead. Looks like the Northern Lights might be about the only affordable thing on the bucket list to do. Would have liked to have done the whale watching thing but probably about as much chance of seeing whales in the dark in the middle of the day in Tromso as there would be in the dark in the middle of the night in Byron Bay when I was there a couple of months back, even if they were to issue us with a big torch.

But looking forward to the trip immensely. Got a very decent price for the flights from Norwegian Air (only fairly recently based in Gatwick and highly recommended) and cos there's a couple of us going, to stay in a decent hotel with breakfast thrown in works out at about fifty quid per person per night. Trick will obviously to be to try and eat 24 hours worth of food for breakfast or die trying. Will report back.

This was filmed in October. Whales under the northern lights.

http://time.com/4070295/humpback-whales-northern-lights/

Lewes' best seagull

Jan 31, 2008
I went in November, and it was fantastic although I wouldn't have wanted to go any later than that with the lack of daylight hours. Good luck with the northern lights, it's so far north there that as long as it's not cloudy you'll be able to see them.

Obviously the main thing to do round there was the landscape, stunning peaks and fjords, but you'll struggle in the dark. There were a few decent looking museums in Tromso itself but was put off by the prices (though I am a student).

Loads and loads of snow there as well which is always a bonus, particularly with how mild it's been here. And do try and get up the peak overlooking the city on the quieter side of the bridge - incredible views of Tromso settled among the landscape.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I went in 2012 and Tromso was great - tour the most northern distillery in the world, take the cable car up the peak to look down on the town

Also did husky sledging which was a bit bonkers with 12 dogs taking the lead !

At that time the exchange rate was poor and beer 12 quid a pint, so stock up at duty free and hit the bars at 10pm ish after a few indoor drinks

The flight in is great too as you fly at about 10,000 feet along the mountains for about 25 mins and then Tromso on its own little island appears
Lovely kind people too

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw them (very faint) in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago. Don't give up!

I'm hoping for a shift in the Earths's tilt or a rather larger than normal cosmic fart which will trigger a more affordable view. Mrs V originally pitched a trip to some place in north Finland sleeping in a perspex igloo under the stars, after factoring in costs of stay plus flights we were looking at north of £1500 for two nights !... I'd rather buy the DVD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here