Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Negotiate with ISIS says Bishop of Chichester

What would you do

• Total voters

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I just can't see how it's possible to negotiate with ISIS. The way they operate is so.different to anything seen before and.there's no middle ground they'd be happy to settle for

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just can't see how it's possible to negotiate with ISIS. The way they operate is so.different to anything seen before and.there's no middle ground they'd be happy to settle for
There's always middle ground and compromise, it's just a case of finding it.
Finding the right time, words and people will be difficult.

But as negotiations won't sell, fear, weapons, racism, political oppression and most importantly money and power, it'll be better for 'everyone' if they are just bombed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

But as negotiations won't sell, fear, weapons, racism, political oppression and most importantly money and power, it'll be better for 'everyone' if they are just bombed.

Hmmm I agreed with your post, up until the last sentence. Ideally think we have to try and find some sort of compromise with them, a solution that would appease both parties.

Unfortunately I don't think bombing them into submission is any sort of answer. The more we attack them with less than peaceful means, the more ISIL seems to thrive and grow.

It's certainly a conundrum.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Canon Andrew White, Anglican bishop of Baghdad, invited members of ISIS to dinner to talk. Their answer was if they attended, they would cut off his head.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But ISIL do not want compromise - they want to bring about the apocalypse.

Thinking of past conflicts when terrorist groups, or freedom fighters, depending on your view, have fought us, such as the IRA, we have invariably begun by using what we regarded as a principled argument that we don't negotiate with terrorists. As the conflict drags on and it is obvious that a military solution is not possible on its own, and the amount of casualties hit politically unacceptable levels, then inevitably we sit down and talk. But this time, I am not sure that this lot will want any sort of compromise - in theory the Bishop is right, but in practice, it is a very doubtful course of action. Will he volunteer, as an arch infidel, to parachute in to their territory and start talking, do you think? . . .

Dec 29, 2011
I'm very liberal but I think there is absolutely no way we can negotiate with ISIS. We need to eliminate them and if that means by killing then so be it. I do, however, think there are much better ways to address the problem than bombing. We need to reduce the funding from rich Arab states such as SA, Qatar and the support of nations such as Turkey. We need to stop pussy footing around the issue and denounce Saudi Arabia for their lack of efforts in combating Islamic extremism. We should also stop selling arms to the middle eastern countries who are apparently our 'allies' as it seems some of these weapons are mysteriously turning up in the hands of ISIS; a group that openly say they want the West's destruction.

The American government have no care to eliminate ISIS. A unstable middle east makes it a lot easier to bring the politics in the region in line with what benefits them and also gives a lot of money to the arms industry which provides jobs and bigger dividends to the 'elites' that own the shares. First it was communism, then it was the war on terrorism, and now it's ISIS. A perpetual war is something that America thrives on, and while ISIS is mainly a threat to the Middle East and (partly) Europe, America won't pull up trees to try and sort them out.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Thinking of past conflicts when terrorist groups, or freedom fighters, depending on your view, have fought us, such as the IRA, we have invariably begun by using what we regarded as a principled argument that we don't negotiate with terrorists. As the conflict drags on and it is obvious that a military solution is not possible on its own, and the amount of casualties hit politically unacceptable levels, then inevitably we sit down and talk. But this time, I am not sure that this lot will want any sort of compromise - in theory the Bishop is right, but in practice, it is a very doubtful course of action. Will he volunteer, as an arch infidel, to parachute in to their territory and start talking, do you think? . . .

He is following the Christian path and expressing the Christian view, but in doing so is showing a fundamental lack of understanding of what ISIL are about. Sadly, from what I have read about them, I cannot see any peaceful solution to ISIL.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14169646.We_need_to_talk_to_ISIS__says_bishop/

Dr Warner said that any ceasefire in Syria would “go nowhere” unless talks included the extremist group responsible for mass killings and staged beheadings.

Efforts to reason with ISIL/Daesh have failed because peace envoys have been beheaded.

Any volunteers from NSC willing to help with negotiations?
http://www.christianpost.com/news/isis-can-only-be-destroyed-by-war-says-vicar-of-baghdad-148999/

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is right up there with Corbyn suggesting we should've arrested Jihadi John. These arguments are nothing to do with being left or right wing, they're to do with having a realistic or idealistic view of the world and how best to solve its problems.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
attachment.php
This is the letter Thunder Bolt is quoting, worth reading this Guys opinion as he's probably more in touch than the Bishop of Chichester.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm very liberal but I think there is absolutely no way we can negotiate with ISIS. We need to eliminate them and if that means by killing then so be it. I do, however, think there are much better ways to address the problem than bombing. We need to reduce the funding from rich Arab states such as SA, Qatar and the support of nations such as Turkey. We need to stop pussy footing around the issue and denounce Saudi Arabia for their lack of efforts in combating Islamic extremism. We should also stop selling arms to the middle eastern countries who are apparently our 'allies' as it seems some of these weapons are mysteriously turning up in the hands of ISIS; a group that openly say they want the West's destruction.

The American government have no care to eliminate ISIS. A unstable middle east makes it a lot easier to bring the politics in the region in line with what benefits them and also gives a lot of money to the arms industry which provides jobs and bigger dividends to the 'elites' that own the shares. First it was communism, then it was the war on terrorism, and now it's ISIS. A perpetual war is something that America thrives on, and while ISIS is mainly a threat to the Middle East and (partly) Europe, America won't pull up trees to try and sort them out.

Agree with this.

If everything I've read about so called IS is true then they are a death cult intent on bringing about the end days and no interest whatsoever in talking to anyone. It seems quite simple with them ~ submit to their beliefs or die a horribly death. There's no middle ground whatsoever.

I also agree with your summing up of US interests too. A very dangerous nation,both to themselves and the rest of the world.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Funny how religion has been responsible for most wars. He should get off his high horse.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As previously stated, they are hell bent on a one way path to the destruction of the Western World and everything we stand for. Although this is Islam in its most extreme form, the fundamental belief of all Muslims is that their's is the one way and only way. This insularity and intolerance can only lead to disharmony in a world that survives on integration, tolerance and harmony. The Muslim community, in general, have allowed fundamental clerics to whip up the uniniated and naïve to a point where there are radical recruitment cells embedded deep throughout our society. The rest of us are not blameless either. We have passively stood by for years, allowing this preaching of bile and venom against the Western World to go on, both publicly and privately. The police have been instructed to stand aside and let this carry on. They have been allowed to parade through our streets, preach on street corners and rally support for their tyrannical crusade, unobstructed.
It is an irreversible situation now. You cannot change a mindset that sees only one path. They are as misguided as the Nazi's and undoubtedly more dangerous. Fanaticism at this level has to be shaken to the core. Action has to be taken that rips the heart out of this group of people. They will never go away. The best you can hope for is to drive them underground and keep relentless pressure on them. Harry them to the four corners of this world. Unceasing surveillance and counter-terrorism activity.
We have encountered this ' last man, woman and child ' mentality before, with the Japanese, whose barbarity and fanaticism had no boundaries. It was decided then, that they had to be shaken to the core in a way that they would never forget. In a way that would scar them forever. In a way that would demonstrate that they could and would be obliterated, if necessary. You can hope for ' jaw jaw not war war ' with reasonable people. These are not reasonable people and have to treated as such.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Funny how religion has been responsible for most wars. He should get off his high horse.

I think you'll find the love of power, material wealth and control of others is responsible for most wars. Religion has often been a vehicle for that, true, but it has very little to do with the love of God. Organised religion and faith are two very different things.

D

Deleted member 22389

You can get rid of ISIS but the EU faces many challenges after this. People are coming to the EU for a better life, but I bet there will be hundreds of thousands of people who have no intention of integrating properly because there religion says so.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

I'm loving the layers of cynicism in this post.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Bishop of Chichester really doesn't understand what is going on here does he!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here