Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massimo Cellino blocks Sky Sports from Elland Road

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm surprised Cellino can make decisions like that or has his ban not started yet?
Either way it's not going to help his cause.

Looking at the Yorkshire evening post article he's asked to see the league/sky broadcast contract and so far been refused and they could face league sanctions if the broadcast doesn't go ahead.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I didn't think any club could do that - isn't there a single contract signed by the FL rather than individual clubs having their own deals?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm surprised Cellino can make decisions like that or has his ban not started yet?

The fit and proper person test is about as much use as FFP. If he was allowed to take over in the first place then that should be the end of it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I didn't think any club could do that - isn't there a single contract signed by the FL rather than individual clubs having their own deals?

respect for attempting to make the stand but to change things proper dialogue between all clubs, the league and sky would be needed. The contract is between the league and sky but I would imagine each club in the league has a contract with the league agreeing to the broadcast contract as part of their membership

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
respect for attempting to make the stand but to change things proper dialogue between all clubs, the league and sky would be needed. The contract is between the league and sky but I would imagine each club in the league has a contract with the league agreeing to the broadcast contract as part of their membership

Yes, that's what I thought too. This could get nasty: I think Leeds will back down but if they don't this could have a knock-on effect for other clubs if Sky wanted to play hardball. They have a contract with the FL and the FL would be deemed to have broken that contract. It's a dangerous path that Cellino's going down

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Meanwhile he's in miami living it up and leaving it to other club staff to prevent sky from accessing Elland Road

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Looking at the Yorkshire evening post article he's asked to see the league/sky broadcast contract and so far been refused and they could face league sanctions if the broadcast doesn't go ahead.
He's appealing the decision I believe so allowed to remain in charge until the appeal is heard.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would suspect this isn't the stand against the ever growing influence of TV on football, sticking up for the fans. I just can't decide if it's a business thing, an ego thing or the whim of a man who... er, marches to his own drumbeat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see his motive. Despite being a mediocre side Leeds image as a big club in recent years has almost exclusively been sustained by their huge number of Sky appearances. He should be thanking them not blocking them.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The more I think.about it the more I struggle to see what he can hope to achieve. Apparently advised staff that anyone allowing sky personnel into Elland.road will be subject to disciplinary action for gross misconduct

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I wonder whether he would do this if they were in the premier league.

What a nightmare of an owner, though we have had worse.

The effectiveness of FFP and the ownership test is really beginning to show how toothless and divided the league really is.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, that's what I thought too. This could get nasty: I think Leeds will back down but if they don't this could have a knock-on effect for other clubs if Sky wanted to play hardball. They have a contract with the FL and the FL would be deemed to have broken that contract. It's a dangerous path that Cellino's going down

Agree. I'm not even sure Sky are that bothered broadcasting League football to a 'handful' of viewers. Long thought it was done as little more than a gesture.

Can't see that Cellino has anything to gain by this except a bit of publicity, which he seems to enjoy

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Agree. I'm not even sure Sky are that bothered broadcasting League football to a 'handful' of viewers. Long thought it was done as little more than a gesture.

Can't see that Cellino has anything to gain by this except a bit of publicity, which he seems to enjoy

I see it as covering up their broadcast gaps now BT have so much just as much as grabbing new league subscribers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if Cellino would have bought Leeds if they weren't on a 2 week rotation in the Sky Sports schedule?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here