Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone get any new music for Christmas?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know I'm becoming rarer than Rudolph poo these days, but I still prefer my music from a solid format, such as a CD to play in the car or on the retro player in the kitchen before uploading to iPod or Cocktail.

As a result, people can still give me music for Christmas in a handy gift wrapped format. This year was no exception with outstanding results. If only I could also work out how to upload to NSC.

But do try these pop pickers if you are in any way discerning. These were my gifts:

Mr Misunderstood by Eric Church

Cass County by Don Henley

I would love to hear opinions of others on these because I think they are both 5* outstanding. Love to hear if anyone else had the gift of wonderful new music to enjoy - whatever the format.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yep, CD then rip to FLAC.

Got a healthy dose of Broooce and Jackson Browne for Xmas.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Was highly pleased to receive the Public Service Broadcasting CD, The Race For Space. Began listening to it in the car this morning. Very promising and will need to come back inside the house so I can listen to it all in a proper single sitting.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Got the Bruce Springsteen box set of The Ties That Bind, the River sessions with out-take and unreleased tracks and dvd interview with 1980 live concert.
Absolute heaven to a Bruce -nut

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I got the vinyl reissue of Slint - Spiderland and Yo La Tengo - Painful. As well as a new turntable part funded by myself to go with a new amp and speakers fully funded by myself.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Got the Bruce Springsteen box set of The Ties That Bind, the River sessions with out-take and unreleased tracks and dvd interview with 1980 live concert.
Absolute heaven to a Bruce -nut

Unfortunately not all the concert was recorded on video but you can get an audio download from Bruces website of the missing tracks

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs V got given a CD by Daughter and is instantly hooked so she is going to see them in Brighton in January....I listened to some and it was a dirge. Tried listening to several of the newer bands around and nothing inspires me, its pants.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
As I've been playing the latest John Grant album (Grey Tickles, Black Pressure) quite a bit recently - especially the brilliant track 'Down Here' - Mrs Peteinblack bought me his (2010) Queen of Denmark CD - which is superb.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
No music, but money to buy it. And my daughter did get me a splendid album cover frame, which I've got the wall over my turntable. First up in The Vinyl Frame, as it has become known, is Octopus by Gentle Giant. I expect a varied mix of prog, folk, new wave, pop, post-punk and more to get a showing. If I get organised I might even blog some of the lesser known albums once a week :rock:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I got the vinyl reissue of Slint - Spiderland and Yo La Tengo - Painful. As well as a new turntable part funded by myself to go with a new amp and speakers fully funded by myself.

I have those two on original vinyl.

Swans' Love of Life reissue, Sunn o))) and the Thing were my Xmas listening pleasures plus reading the new memoir from Carrie Brownstein of Sleater Kinney.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This year's John Grant and Max Richter. Only got round to listening to them today as everyone's out. Blissful

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Ragpicker String Band
Dave Weld
Mike Zito
Bernard Allison

All good stuff.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Not new, a reissue from earlier this year. Torch of the Mystics by Sun City Girls. A very strange yet undeniably great set of tunes tinged with eastern melodies, wonky free rock and wailing gobbledygook. It is growing on me like a disturbing fungus that I may have to seek medical advice on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brother got me Föllakzoid II.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I got Springsteen's 'The ties that bind'. My initial opinion is that the tracks that never made 'The river' album probably never made it because they weren't good enough. Some of it is nothing more than mediocre by his mercurial standards.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No music, but money to buy it. And my daughter did get me a splendid album cover frame, which I've got the wall over my turntable. First up in The Vinyl Frame, as it has become known, is Octopus by Gentle Giant. I expect a varied mix of prog, folk, new wave, pop, post-punk and more to get a showing. If I get organised I might even blog some of the lesser known albums once a week :rock:

Possibly unsurprisingly, The Vinyl Frame in the downstairs cloakroom is - wait for it - a signed copy of Terraplane by Steve Earle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here