Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 4 fixtures today and tomorrow

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Middlesborough v Sheffield Wednesday
Preston v Hull
Brighton v Ipswich
Leeds v Derby

On paper Hull have the easiest of the 4, our fixture seems the toughest but Steve Evans has made Leeds harder to beat.
Boro with the extra rest should have too much for Wednesday but sometimes strange results happen over Christmas and new year

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Not such a bad thing if mboro beat Wednesday and we can beat Ipswich. Would confirm a solid play off position for us.

If mboro beat Blackburn in their game in hand they are effectively six points ahead of us with goal difference.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'd say Weds ( :laugh: ) have the toughest test there, we're not even away.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I was basing it on current form. They've had better results of late. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Not such a bad thing if mboro beat Wednesday and we can beat Ipswich. Would confirm a solid play off position for us.

If mboro beat Blackburn in their game in hand they are effectively six points ahead of us with goal difference.

We don't want a solid play off position saafend. We want auto.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Middlesborough v Sheffield Wednesday
Preston v Hull
Brighton v Ipswich
Leeds v Derby

On paper Hull have the easiest of the 4, our fixture seems the toughest but Steve Evans has made Leeds harder to beat.
Boro with the extra rest should have too much for Wednesday but sometimes strange results happen over Christmas and new year

Changing the subject slightly -has anyone else realised that surely for the first time ever, ( could be wrong with this) there are no Albion matches over Easter. I keep checking the dates, as I assumed that I must have got it wrong, but there only two friendly internationals then, hence the postponement. I had always thought that the Fulham and QPR games, being so close together, were the Easter fixtures, but they are two weeks or so afterwards. Check your diaries, and if I am right, has this happened before in living memory?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I really can't see us beating Ipswich tomorrow to be honest as we're not creating and don't look like scoring...Its a case of waiting til Jan to improve the squad and any points from now on will be a bonus.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Changing the subject slightly -has anyone else realised that surely for the first time ever, ( could be wrong with this) there are no Albion matches over Easter. I keep checking the dates, as I assumed that I must have got it wrong, but there only two friendly internationals then, hence the postponement. I had always thought that the Fulham and QPR games, being so close together, were the Easter fixtures, but they are two weeks or so afterwards. Check your diaries, and if I am right, has this happened before in living memory?

This is because of the stupid international break, as Easter is a moveable feast this is probably the first time they've clashed.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I really can't see us beating Ipswich tomorrow to be honest as we're not creating and don't look like scoring...Its a case of waiting til Jan to improve the squad and any points from now on will be a bonus.

We’ll draw (at least) with Ipswich and January is just days away

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think we can win tomorrow night. It will be tight but i think we can get a result at least. I'd like to see Harper get a bench place. We don't have a game changer on the bench at the moment. I'd go with Zamora and Hemed up front then bring Wilson on to stretch the game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Easy to conclude that, but Ipswich is probably the most winnable of the last five games, and we've come desperately close to winning two of them.

We've beaten them already, and we are top. Even with being decimated by injury, I still fancy us to be competitive. I'm 50/50 as to whether it'll be a home win or a draw.

We do badly need reinforcements but we are still well in the mix, especially if we do win this one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The gap to 7th has been what I have been watching all along and it's down to 8 points now with Wednesday in that slot currently.

I'd happily let Middlesbrough run away with it, including a win today.

I think Wednesday are the second best side I've seen though and they seem to be in good nick, having scored 7 in their last two games. That said, they seem pretty poor away from home - their last win on the road coming at Rotherham in October.

So, in summary, a Boro/Albion win combo would stretch the gap to 7th place to 11 points and I'd be happy with that.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Easy to conclude that, but Ipswich is probably the most winnable of the last five games, and we've come desperately close to winning two of them.

We've beaten them already, and we are top. Even with being decimated by injury, I still fancy us to be competitive. I'm 50/50 as to whether it'll be a home win or a draw.

We do badly need reinforcements but we are still well in the mix, especially if we do win this one.
Murphy and VLP are not firing and kayal and Stephens look tired.Our strikers are not getting the service and our bench has just Zamora on it that can improve our starting 11.
Then you have a makeshift second choice defence although Greer being out isn't a bad thing.

Reckon the tractor boys will Nick it 2-1 sadly,but hopefully we'll dig deep and get a result.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Mick McCarthy has now joined the growing list of managers and pundits who see Boro and Derby as nailed-on for the automatic places. Based on the past couple of months and the current squads, it's a compelling case. You only need look at the goal difference column to see how much they have now pulled ahead, even if their points advantage is negligible. I can see one or the other pulling away and possible emulating Leicester in the ease in which they secure promotion. But the odds are against BOTH doing this, simply because of the variables, stated below:

1) No team can guarantee against injuries to key players (see Albion)

2) We have an upcoming transfer market. There will be some big winners among the top half clubs - and a few flops.

3) At least two clubs will start a season second-half surge. This happens every year when clubs throw caution to the wind and the lure of promotion gives them added impetus.

4) Like the rest, Boro and Derby have to play all the top teams - and each other.

5) I'd still like to retain some hope/sentiment Albion can clinch an automatic spot

6) The Championship has proved to be the most unpredictable when it comes to promotion/relegation in past seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here