Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber? Cheaper, more convenient, cleaner?

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Cheaper, more convenient, cleaner?

Got an Addison Lee MPV to take 5 of us from KT17 to Stansted at the ungodly hour of 0430 last Weds, £170. Pristine new vehicle, class. Top driver.

On the way back my 20's kids told me to Uber it, quick and responsive, yes,... but knackered Seat Alhambra, stank of fags, wanted to go the wrong way round the M25 and the bill in the end was £177.

Hmm. Any thoughts?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If you ordered an Uber Pop you can't complain about the type of car. But it shouldn't stink of fags for sure. Email customer service. You may well get a refund.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Cheaper, more convenient, cleaner?

Got an Addison Lee MPV to take 5 of us from KT17 to Stansted at the ungodly hour of 0430 last Weds, £170. Pristine new vehicle, class. Top driver.

On the way back my 20's kids told me to Uber it, quick and responsive, yes,... but knackered Seat Alhambra, stank of fags, wanted to go the wrong way round the M25 and the bill in the end was £177.

Hmm. Any thoughts?

When uberring you can turn down options or drivers based on their ratings so you could have checked that first but still no guarantees I guess.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Would they über from London to Brighton ? Just asking as late night gigs in London are a pain to get back from sometimes, and I'm getting old !

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My bro in law just left to go home after visiting for Christmas he is a London cabbie.
We had a conversation about uber suffice to say he is very angry and sensitive about the subject.
Regarding uber there are two sides to every story but uber seem to be a very cut throat company ( for example when bombs go off and everyone just wants to flee in a cab their fares triple instantly)
On the other hand London cabbie are the world champions at moaning and wingeing.
Having listened to his side of the story it seems that Boris and London have let down the cabbies, it's complicated and no time to go into detail. But watch out for uninsured uber drivers there are a few about.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My bro in law just left to go home after visiting for Christmas he is a London cabbie.
We had a conversation about uber suffice to say he is very angry and sensitive about the subject.
Regarding uber there are two sides to every story but uber seem to be a very cut throat company ( for example when bombs go off and everyone just wants to flee in a cab their fares triple instantly)
On the other hand London cabbie are the world champions at moaning and wingeing.
Having listened to his side of the story it seems that Boris and London have let down the cabbies, it's complicated and no time to go into detail. But watch out for uninsured uber drivers there are a few about.

Wasnt there a legal case in the States that ruled they are emloyees not contractors?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I always supported black cabs until a couple of years ago when one wanted to charge me £65 for 3 mile cab ride from Heathrow Terminal 5 to Ashford Middlesex. When I complained to their body I was told as it entailed going outside London they can charge whatever they want. Go for it Uber.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I always supported black cabs until a couple of years ago when one wanted to charge me £65 for 3 mile cab ride from Heathrow Terminal 5 to Ashford Middlesex. When I complained to their body I was told as it entailed going outside London they can charge whatever they want. Go for it Uber.

We had similar many years ago, Heathrow to Northolt, Ashford is just around the corner as well.
The cabbie was well pissed off because he had waited in the Heathrow rank for ages.
Truth is that if they do not get a decent fare into London they can get a ticket that allows them to go straight back to the terminal.
I also doubt that Ashford counts as outside London so that sounds very wrong considering it was a short journey.
Often black cabs shoot themselves in the foot as I told my bro in law.
Also remember on many occasions a few years ago coming out of west end places at 2 or 3 am and asking to go south of the river (Bromley) and they just did not want to know and there were not many cabs around either.
Like I said, 2 sides to every story, but I still feel that black cabs in general have been let down.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
We had similar many years ago, Heathrow to Northolt, Ashford is just around the corner as well.
The cabbie was well pissed off because he had waited in the Heathrow rank for ages.
Truth is that if they do not get a decent fare into London they can get a ticket that allows them to go straight back to the terminal.
I also doubt that Ashford counts as outside London so that sounds very wrong considering it was a short journey.
Often black cabs shoot themselves in the foot as I told my bro in law.
Also remember on many occasions a few years ago coming out of west end places at 2 or 3 am and asking to go south of the river (Bromley) and they just did not want to know and there were not many cabs around either.
Like I said, 2 sides to every story, but I still feel that black cabs in general have been let down.

As Ashford comes under Spelthorne Council and is not an 020 phone number it's classified as outside London and they have a right not to use the meter. Also, they do not have to join the feeder rank if they return within, I think, half an hour. I used to work at terminal 3 and cabbies would sleep in their cabs overnight just to get the fare into London in the morning.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As Ashford comes under Spelthorne Council and is not an 020 phone number it's classified as outside London and they have a right not to use the meter. Also, they do not have to join the feeder rank if they return within, I think, half an hour. I used to work at terminal 3 and cabbies would sleep in their cabs overnight just to get the fare into London in the morning.

Then that is wrong and uber wins this one hands down as it is a very short journey.
I hear that the surrounding streets around Heathrow are chocker with uber cabs and residents can't park.
It's all gone a bit mad in London on the cab scene what with Addison Lee and others as well.
If uber come to Plymouth I think there would be riots.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
:clap2:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Always interesting to see these kind of topics on nsc. Brighton is definitely way behind London in a lot of trends. Uber is one of those, I believe it's coming to Brighton soon and will do with well. It's been life changing for me, and has made me a lot lazier in London and I use it a lot abroad as well. It's so much cheaper than black cabs.

As for the guy asking whether uber will do London to Brighton, they will......I got one for £110 .... Incredible value.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Then that is wrong and uber wins this one hands down as it is a very short journey.
I hear that the surrounding streets around Heathrow are chocker with uber cabs and residents can't park.
It's all gone a bit mad in London on the cab scene what with Addison Lee and others as well.
If uber come to Plymouth I think there would be riots.

Addison Lee are the largest private hire company in the country, I think. I've stopped a few of their cars before & there were some in quite shocking condition (mechanically: I can't speak for their fragrance or seat covers...). So I guess the same applies in the mainstream private hire industry as well as Uber.

I do think there's something quite special about the traditional black cab drivers & the Knowledge, even if they are a bit pricey at times. I'm not sure any other city in the world has anything quite like that. It's not just the streets they know, they have to learn about shops, museums, attractions, places of worship and so on. It's phenomenal. It'd be sad if that was lost because of Uber & co.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do think there's something quite special about the traditional black cab drivers & the Knowledge. It's not just the streets they know......

It's absolutely ****ing everything. Ask them anything and they'll have an opinion on it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here