Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Is Freesat that much better than Freeview?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I have a Sat dish on my house which I have never used.

I HATE Sky with a passion so will never subscribe to their services but was wondering if Freesat offers any advantages over Freeview which I already have?

Thanks.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Just binned sky and bought a humax freesat hd box. I have freeview on the tv already but it seems there are slightly different channels on freesat but the big advantage for me is the box can do all the recording and pause live tv stuff that my tv can't

A Google search will show you what channels appear on both freesat and free-view and which are only on each

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Apologies, I have seen which channels are available on Freesat vs Freeview but not sure anything stood out which would make me be bothered to shell out for a Freesat box.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who provided the satellite for FreeSat? Indeed, who provides the satellite for Sky?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My memory tells me that Freesat was a bit political to allow viewers without access to good aerial reception access to multi channel TV.

I have both oddly since I watch bigger all telly, but bought TVs with both installed and a bit of a nerd who works in the industry. I have a NOWTV box for watching Brighton on SKY for instance that I bring out just for the purpose.

All has changed with the tinternet though particularly with the newer boxes. If you were going to buy a freeview box, I'd say no and get a without subscription BT Youview box. It has Netflix and an EPG that frankly pisses all over anything else free.

Basically a freeview box with catch up. Go back on the menu click on a programme and it launches IPlayer, 40D etc. Probably all most people need to be honest and no need to record.

Currently packed away :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here