Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has an Albion goalkeeper ever scored a goal?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For us, I mean, not own goals. Prompted by Stockdale's wind-assisted punt just wide of Button's goal yesterday.

I can't think of any, and if that's the case, then it's an enormous & disappointing gap in our history.

If Stockdale ever scored a goal for us- ideally a 97th minute overhead kick in the opposition penalty box (you just know he'd try it if it was on)- I honestly think my Albion-watching career would peak there and then.

Come on Dave. Make it happen :clap:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In 40 years of following the Albion I can't recall it. One may have taken a penalty, perhaps.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Be interesting to know how many clubs' keepers have scored for them. Only ever used to be the classic hoof forward that catches the wind and sails over the opponent's head. Now you get the occasional last-ditch going-up-for-a-corner routines. I can't imagine Gordon Banks ever fancied that.

Steve Ogrizovic definitely scored a punt for Coventry. Paul Robinson scored twice for Leeds I think. Pretty sure Kasper Schmeichel has one for Leicester, and his old man did the same for Man United. Jimmy Glass, memorably, for Carlisle to keep them in the league. And there's been one at Stevenage this season, though I can't recall if it was for or against them.

Can't ever remember seeing one in an Albion match though, either for or against us. Boooooooooo.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Don't recall a Brighton Keeper doing it,but seen the late Iain Hesford score one for Maidstone in 1991 and Nikki Bull for Aldershot in 2003.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another one for the non-Albion list. Brad Friedel for Blackburn.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great thread. If anyone can Stockers can, best keeper with his feet we have ever had.

We need to get him taking penalties to break this abysmal record.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Great thread. If anyone can Stockers can, best keeper with his feet we have ever had.

We need to get him taking penalties to break this abysmal record.

Yes, definitely a keeper scored against us in a penalty shootout . Fulham keeper FA cup late 80's (both ties had been dismal 0-0's )

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Be interesting to know how many clubs' keepers have scored for them. Only ever used to be the classic hoof forward that catches the wind and sails over the opponent's head. Now you get the occasional last-ditch going-up-for-a-corner routines. I can't imagine Gordon Banks ever fancied that.

Steve Ogrizovic definitely scored a punt for Coventry. Paul Robinson scored twice for Leeds I think. Pretty sure Kasper Schmeichel has one for Leicester, and his old man did the same for Man United. Jimmy Glass, memorably, for Carlisle to keep them in the league. And there's been one at Stevenage this season, though I can't recall if it was for or against them.

Can't ever remember seeing one in an Albion match though, either for or against us. Boooooooooo.

Paul Robinson and Peter Schmichel scored for a couple of clubs

Howard scored for Everton as has Forster for soton

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
First I ever saw must have been Pat Jennings in the 60's against manure for spurs

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Chilavert the eccentric Paraguyan keeper definitely took some penalties but I have a feeling suicidally some free kicks too.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The best goalie was rene higuite (spelling). People remember his scorpion kick off redknapp after the whistle had gone in a friendly but surely a drag back to lose a World Cup match deserves more mention. To think that four years later that poor Columbian defender got shot for an own goal.

http://youtu.be/tT790tEixVA

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Paul Robinson and Peter Schmichel scored for a couple of clubs

Howard scored for Everton as has Forster for soton

I don't remember Forster doing it for Southampton. Asmir Begovic did it against Southampton a few season ago for Stoke but Artur Boruc was in goal for Southampton that day.

I agree with the OP, seeing an Albion keeper score either from a punt down field or when coming up for a last gasp corner would be the pinnacle of my Albion supporting life. Nothing would top it, not even winning the Champions League (winning the Champions League is more likely at the moment as we never send keepers up).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't remember Forster doing it for Southampton. Asmir Begovic did it against Southampton a few season ago for Stoke but Artur Boruc was in goal for Southampton that day.

I agree with the OP, seeing an Albion keeper score either from a punt down field or when coming up for a last gasp corner would be the pinnacle of my Albion supporting life. Nothing would top it, not even winning the Champions League (winning the Champions League is more likely at the moment as we never send keepers up).

apologies - you are correct. - I knew it was Stoke - Southampton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here