Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton City reaches for the sky in bid to reverse its ‘lost decade’ of neglect

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"When it [Brighton] has been bold and imaginative it has been successful. When it has been safe and inward looking it has failed. Brighton and Hove must now move into a ninth era and become an international city or it will slip back again into the mediocrity that characterised so much of the postwar era.”

Couldn't agree more with this.

"When it [Brighton] has been bold and imaginative it has been successful. When it has been safe and inward looking it has failed. Brighton and Hove must now move into a ninth era and become an international city or it will slip back again into the mediocrity that characterised so much of the postwar era.”

Couldn't agree more with this.

The only bold design in the last 40 years has been amex house and the amex stadium.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just been on the seafront and the the 360 thing is a fricking eyesore! The shoreham power station was a lovely structure but this new heap of shite already disrupts the views. Shame on you brighton city:shit:
Another negative post.

However, on this occasion, you'll be glad to know, you have my full support. [emoji20]

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Very good article, these are exciting times to live in Brighton provided these things actually happen.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I just don't see the Sky Doughnut being popular.

London has hundreds of historic landmarks to look at.
All of Brighton's can be seen before even reaching the tower to take your 'flight'.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Difficult to judge the 360i until the viewing dome is added, at the moment just looks like a chimney, so is never going to appease the anti's just yet.

I have lived in Brighton or its suburbs all my life and have fallen in and out of love with it, seemed a little dirty and tired in the early 80's but seems to have got itself together in recent years, personally I think it will be great.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm involved with the tourist business in Brighton and, with 8,000,000 plus visitors a year and rising, I ask how the city would manage without this income.
Blackpool, a town I am also involved with, spends big (although most is European money). Brighton needs to invest in the future. As an example, does the Pier just sit back and wait for the tourists, NO. Each year it spends money staying up to date, as do all the other shops and bars. The council need to keep up with us regarding spending to encourage tourists that Brighton IS the best place in Europe to visit. But spend wisely. They keep putting up tourist signs pointing to places to go but they are rubbish. Each year they try a new system and all fail to work. A big change made a few years back was to move a crossing on the seafront road which encouraged people to go up East St. Great except that it killed another business elsewhere.
This winter I will again spend around 10% of last years profit on sprucing up my business, repairs, painting and new signage.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Brighton was a bit grubby and smelly last time I visited.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Brighton was messed up by the Greens look at what they left, the lewes road ,viaduct road, stacked packing boxes where the Cobbler them once stood, no money spent of the under cliff which is now in such a state parts are being taken down, plus the heart of Brighton given over to Student accommodation with nothing to draw people into the city and to crown it all the 360l hope it looks better finished as it looks awful at its present stage

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There has always been old moaners who object to everything. They are responsible for the west pier, the state of the marina, king aldfred, london road, the brighton centre. The list goes on! These people don't care about the city they just want it to stay the same and rot around us.

Have to agree. Far too many people who just want to say no to everything (some even objected to the wind farms proposed/being built off of our coast - on what possible grounds I do not know, no pollution or noise and the bonus of FREE energy, oh yeah, the view was being spolit!). Brighton was on the verge of going down like Blackpool/Margate back in the late 70's, our economy got lucky with the completion of The Marina and the Brighton Centre at roughly the same time, that combined with the house price boom since then and our proximity to London has kept us going for a long time.

But without wishing to get too party political, recent years have seen our city slipping backwards again, looking tatty and smug in equal measure. If we continue to ignore the investment required (King Alfred, Brighton Centre, Madeira Terraces, Marina) in things like the Kings Road Arches and effectively close our city down by closing main thoroughfares, discouraging motor traffic and hitting motorists with outrageous parking charges then we will see our city confined to the fate of aforementioned resorts.

Welcome to the i360, and I encourage more brave decisions to be made, and the nimbys like the Regency Society can take their place in the past rather than our city!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brighton was messed up by the Greens look at what they left, the lewes road ,viaduct road, stacked packing boxes where the Cobbler them once stood, no money spent of the under cliff which is now in such a state parts are being taken down, plus the heart of Brighton given over to Student accommodation with nothing to draw people into the city and to crown it all the 360l hope it looks better finished as it looks awful at its present stage
Spot on! It was the Greens who were responsible for a hundred years of wear and tear and not maintaining the undercliff along Madina Drive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to agree. Far too many people who just want to say no to everything (some even objected to the wind farms proposed/being built off of our coast - on what possible grounds I do not know, no pollution or noise and the bonus of FREE energy, oh yeah, the view was being spolit!). Brighton was on the verge of going down like Blackpool/Margate back in the late 70's, our economy got lucky with the completion of The Marina and the Brighton Centre at roughly the same time, that combined with the house price boom since then and our proximity to London has kept us going for a long time.

But without wishing to get too party political, recent years have seen our city slipping backwards again, looking tatty and smug in equal measure. If we continue to ignore the investment required (King Alfred, Brighton Centre, Madeira Terraces, Marina) in things like the Kings Road Arches and effectively close our city down by closing main thoroughfares, discouraging motor traffic and hitting motorists with outrageous parking charges then we will see our city confined to the fate of aforementioned resorts.

Welcome to the i360, and I encourage more brave decisions to be made, and the nimbys like the Regency Society can take their place in the past rather than our city!

Totally agree... especially your Regency Society comment.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
There has always been old moaners who object to everything. They are responsible for the west pier, the state of the marina, king aldfred, london road, the brighton centre. The list goes on! These people don't care about the city they just want it to stay the same and rot around us.

Reference the west pier I understood it was the owners of the Palace pier (Brighton pier) whom argued it was unfair competition as they had to pay for any repairs/upgrades themselves.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surprised anything gets built locally due to the moaners.

The one thing that is clear, is that around the world there are many people that enjoy views from up high, such as the Shard and Walkie-Talkie in London, CN tower, Top the rock, etc in Manhatten. I would therefore expect the i360 to prove to be popular with visitors.

Personally I think it should have been called the i180 given that half the view will just be the sea,

Also given the increasing population, and lack of space, that unless there is a desire to build on the doors, the only way to accommodate everyone is to build upwards. This doesn't have to be the estates that associated with the 60s but can be a combination of commercial, living and leisure in new designs that are not just straight line buildings.

It should be a period of progress but I fear the moaners will slow things down and the decay will continue.

Difficult to judge the 360i until the viewing dome is added, at the moment just looks like a chimney, so is never going to appease the anti's just yet.

I have lived in Brighton or its suburbs all my life and have fallen in and out of love with it, seemed a little dirty and tired in the early 80's but seems to have got itself together in recent years, personally I think it will be great.

Walking along the seafront it cuts completely through the view! A giant doughnut will not help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here