Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Brentford

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yet another game of two halves. We were totally inept in the first half and upped our game to "poor" in the second, with a few patches of decent football in amongst the dross. Sad to see how much the quality of our play has dropped alarmingly.

Stockdale 9. Without him we would have been heavily defeated. Super goalkeeping.
Bruno 7. Some moments of brilliance, but overall not at his best.
Greer 4. Wearing that awful yellow colour he really should have been able to pick out his team-mates. Instead he found it easier to pass to Brentford players.
Dunk 7. A reasonable performance apart for dithering with the ball for too long on at least one occasion in the first half.
Calderon 4. Not a LB. Did his best, but one of a number of weak links.
Stephens 7. Some decent stuff, but silly yellow card and could have got a completely unnecessary second.
Kayal 7. Good in patches. Some impressive stuff.
Murphy 5. Very poor first half, better second. Unlucky not to score.
VLP 6. Some very good runs, but let down by quality of crosses.
Wilson 5. One mazy run, but not much else.
Hemed 5. Not the striker we need. Far too slow and doesn't hold the ball up well enough.

Subs:
Crofts 6. OK. Didn't notice him too much which may be good, may be bad.
Manu 6. Offside two or three times. May be down to miss-timed runs, or was it delayed passes? Spent far too much time on the ground. He needs to learn to stay on his feet. Certainly quick and I think there's something positive about him. Needs more match time.
Goldson 6. Looked OK.

We need some changes for Tuesday. I would start Goldson with Dunk even if Greer is fit. Chicksen at LB - give the lad a chance. Start Bobby (if he's fit) even if he won't last 90 mins.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale 8
Bruno 8
Calderon 4
Greer 5
Dunk 7
Kayal 5.5
Stephens 6.5
Van la Parra 5
Murphy 6
Wilson 4
Hemed 5.5

Elvis 5
Goldson 6
Crofts 6.5

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale - 9 - 3 superb saves, no idea how he got to that header. No-brainer for MOTM for me.

Greer - 5 - didn't seem to be organising things at the back

Dunk - 7 - steady

Bruno - 7.5 - thought he had a good game. Showed good skill several times and made some great challenges

Calde - 6 - love the bloke but he is so out of position. Lack of a left foot has been totally worked out by opposing teams and massively limits our left sided attacking outlet. We need to give Chicksen a shot.

Kayal - 6 - bit subdued I thought apart from 20 mins at the start of the 2nd half when he played further forward and made some good runs (but had nothing moving ahead of him). Looking tired.

Stephens - 7 - decent game, started with a proper tackle in the first minute and showed decent energy throughout

VLP - 6.5 - did ok, struggled with the lack of options in front of him, held the ball too long as a result sometimes

Murphy - 6 - better than last game but still not great. Really should have hit the target with his shot at least

Wilson - 5 - off the pace (not surprised he went off unwell)

Hemed - 5.5 - as is becoming the norm. Worked hard but didn't really look like scoring.

Subs

Crofts - 6.5 - we looked a lot better after he came on. Solidified the midfield for a period

Manu - 5 - lively, but HTF can he get caught offside so often ??

Goldson - 6 - won't be a problem if Greer is out, can probably cover

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
People have said this about Manu is Development games too. He needs to be taught the offside rule and how to play it! How did this guy do so well in Holland?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Stephens 7. Some decent stuff, but silly yellow card and could have got a completely unnecessary second

I thought he was quite unfortunate with his yellow card. Yes, it was a foul, but Alan Judge made it into so much more than it was by flinging himself to the ground theatrically and wailing to the officials. I was quite annoyed when the card came out, and fuming later on when a Brentford player tripped (I think) van la Parra in similar circumstances and received merely a free kick against him as punishment.

That said, Stephens did boot one of their players in the challenge later on, and could easily have picked up a second card for that one, so I guess there is some degree of justice in there somewhere.

theboybilly

Stockdale 9 MoM
Bruno 8
Calde 5
Greer 6
Dunk 7
Murphy 7
Stephens 8
Kayal 7
vLP 7
Hemed 6
Wilson 5

Subs:
Crofts 6
Goldson 7
Manu 6

Beefing up the midfield with Crofts stopped us being overrun by Brentford in the 2nd period as we were lucky to go in on level terms at half-time. CH knows how to get a result away from home. It bodes well

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Murphy and Wilson dreadful.

Need baldock and lua lua back urgently. Can they not make the bench now ?
Wilson who was unwell today has scored 2 goals( 1 brilliant) in a few games. Baldock has scored 2 in far more games including an OG which was credited to him.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
People have said this about Manu is Development games too. He needs to be taught the offside rule and how to play it! How did this guy do so well in Holland?

Not sure he really did, wasnt impressed with the video clips. Dutch defences giving him loads of space

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A christmas spent alone all to see today's match, and, whilst i was a little disappointed with our first half performance, and a tad relieved that Brentford had a habit of skying their finishes, it was still worth doing. So...

Stockdale - 9 - certainly our man of the match. One key save, that i thought was in, and steady feet when those around him were rather more shaken.
Bruno - 8 - potentially my all-time favourite player, for his love-affair with the ball, and this season for his defensive attitude. Didn't put a foot wrong and had good fight about him.
Dunk - 5 - the first 20 minutes of the game had those awful Dunkian moments of rash decisions and being taken on all too easily. He settled, but i feel the shuffle of formation at halftime had more of an impact, and protection of the backline, than Dunk's improvement did, if that was much there at all.
Greer - 5 - wasn't in his best form, as a defender or a leader, but i'll be sorry if his hamstring keeps him out for longer than a few days. We need to be strong and steady in these next two games, so it will be vital that Dunk and Goldson are mature in how they carry out their business.
Calderon - 4 - didn't have a good day of it and a lot of Brentford's slick play went over or around him. Highlighted our need for a leftback, which is no secret, but also for that being someone who can comfortably attack down the left to support Murphy.
Stephens - 8 - the stronger of our midfield two and was pumping around the field with a pleasant, to me at least, meanness and toughness.
Kayal - 7 - rather anonymous first half, but with Crofts on and playing further up the field he began to motor and enjoy himself and looked a threat.
Murphy - 6 - should've got that one on target at least, but managed to get a few good crosses in. Second half began to cut inside too, but his jinking runs seem few and far between, so i want his confidence back, as i do throughout the team.
Van la Papegaai - 6 - don't remember much about him today, but that usually means being unupset, so he must've done ok.
Wilson - 5 - played a little like a sickly man and was right to come off
Hemed - 5 - as a striker you have to have that little something about you to want the ball in the back of the net and to make it happen. Here and there these chances come his way, but their accompanied by a fluff or a hoof. I like the guy and feel that his efforts will pay off, but it will have to happen soon.

Croft - 6 - firmed things up at the back.
Manu - 5 - had the face of an unhappy camper. Still don't think he can lead the line as such - maybe he'd be best just behind, bursting through from a distance rather than being repeatedly offside. Took a very long while to clap, when requested a wave, and looked over insulted when we asked him to sing. Hope he cheers up, and grabs the chances he's given.
Goldson - 5 - on for a little while and seemed to do fine.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Stockdale 10 - Faultless
Bruno 9 - Superb. Best defender today by a mile.
Calderon 3 - BHAFC legend. But not a Chanpionship standard footballer anymore. Weak link.
Greer 6 - Solid enough, passing was poor today.
Dunk 7 - Distribution poor today, always sense a mistake in him.
Kayal 8 - Superb, worked his socks off and gave 110%
Stephens 8 - Thanks goodness for him and Kayal, worked his socks off.
Van la Parra 6 - Some great deliveries but needs to stay in games, drifted in and out.
Murphy 7 - Looked like our best chance first half. Drifted out of the game.
Wilson 2 - Should have been taken off after 10 mins. Looked ill and shattered. Could have cost us today.
Hemed 5 - Works hard, just isn't the guy who will get us the goals we need. Shame.

Elvis 1 - Sold down the river here, looked lost and not tactically aware.
Goldson 6 - Not enough time to judge, something about the kid though, one for future.
Crofts 6 - Not the Crofts of old I'm afraid. Poor touches and game the ball away too often.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
A christmas spent alone all to see today's match, and, whilst i was a little disappointed with our first half performance, and a tad relieved that Brentford had a habit of skying their finishes, it was still worth doing. So...

Stockdale - 9 - certainly our man of the match. One key save, that i thought was in, and steady feet when those around him were rather more shaken.
Bruno - 8 - potentially my all-time favourite player, for his love-affair with the ball, and this season for his defensive attitude. Didn't put a foot wrong and had good fight about him.
Dunk - 5 - the first 20 minutes of the game had those awful Dunkian moments of rash decisions and being taken on all too easily. He settled, but i feel the shuffle of formation at halftime had more of an impact, and protection of the backline, than Dunk's improvement did, if that was much there at all.
Greer - 5 - wasn't in his best form, as a defender or a leader, but i'll be sorry if his hamstring keeps him out for longer than a few days. We need to be strong and steady in these next two games, so it will be vital that Dunk and Goldson are mature in how they carry out their business.
Calderon - 4 - didn't have a good day of it and a lot of Brentford's slick play went over or around him. Highlighted our need for a leftback, which is no secret, but also for that being someone who can comfortably attack down the left to support Murphy.
Stephens - 8 - the stronger of our midfield two and was pumping around the field with a pleasant, to me at least, meanness and toughness.
Kayal - 7 - rather anonymous first half, but with Crofts on and playing further up the field he began to motor and enjoy himself and looked a threat.
Murphy - 6 - should've got that one on target at least, but managed to get a few good crosses in. Second half began to cut inside too, but his jinking runs seem few and far between, so i want his confidence back, as i do throughout the team.
Van la Papegaai - 6 - don't remember much about him today, but that usually means being unupset, so he must've done ok.
Wilson - 5 - played a little like a sickly man and was right to come off
Hemed - 5 - as a striker you have to have that little something about you to want the ball in the back of the net and to make it happen. Here and there these chances come his way, but their accompanied by a fluff or a hoof. I like the guy and feel that his efforts will pay off, but it will have to happen soon.

Croft - 6 - firmed things up at the back.
Manu - 5 - had the face of an unhappy camper. Still don't think he can lead the line as such - maybe he'd be best just behind, bursting through from a distance rather than being repeatedly offside. Took a very long while to clap, when requested a wave, and looked over insulted when we asked him to sing. Hope he cheers up, and grabs the chances he's given.
Goldson - 5 - on for a little while and seemed to do fine.

Great post

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
U
Calderon 3 - BHAFC legend. But not a Chanpionship standard footballer anymore. Weak link.

Very harsh assessment

He was fine against Charlton and Derby, one of our better players at QPR, and as good as the rest against Boro

The guy is playing out of position, with a foot injury, ffs. Cut him some slack.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Also displayed quite a taught and chiseled torso at the end.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
U

Very harsh assessment

He was fine against Charlton and Derby, one of our better players at QPR, and as good as the rest against Boro

The guy is playing out of position, with a foot injury, ffs. Cut him some slack.

Foot injury? So we're playing an injured 35 year old out of position rather than a young player who we signed as a LB? In the opinion of the management team Chicksen must be REALLY bad. I'm all for giving the guy another chance.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
U

Very harsh assessment

As I've said, a BHAFC legend but not up to the standard required in The Championship I'm afraid, was clearly targeted early doors yesterday as our weak link and time after time they attacked Calde exposing his lack of pace.

He was also the weak link against QPR and Derby, so not really sure if you were watching those games through your 'Calde Tinted' glasses.

If Chicksen is a worse option than Calderon, he must be terrible.

He's been a loyal servant to the club and deserves all the praise he receives for what he's done in his time here, but for me yesterday was the most evident display that he simply isn't good enough for this standard of football anymore, deep down I think he also realises that, and from some of his reactions when making basic mistakes and the dejected figure he cut when leaving the pitch after the game I feel he knows his body simply can't do what it did 4 or 5 seasons ago where in this division it's essential.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
As I've said, a BHAFC legend but not up to the standard required in The Championship I'm afraid, was clearly targeted early doors yesterday as our weak link and time after time they attacked Calde exposing his lack of pace.

He was also the weak link against QPR and Derby, so not really sure if you were watching those games through your 'Calde Tinted' glasses.

If Chicksen is a worse option than Calderon, he must be terrible.

He's been a loyal servant to the club and deserves all the praise he receives for what he's done in his time here, but for me yesterday was the most evident display that he simply isn't good enough for this standard of football anymore, deep down I think he also realises that, and from some of his reactions when making basic mistakes and the dejected figure he cut when leaving the pitch after the game I feel he knows his body simply can't do what it did 4 or 5 seasons ago where in this division it's essential.

I must be watching a different game, Brentford were putting balls over to the left back position but calderon didnt let us down. If anything it was Murphy not helping him out that was the problem.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here