Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dorset seagulls

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
After finding out my girlfriend was pregnant 5 months ago it became apparant we couldn't afford to live in London anymore so I decided to take a transfer with work to Southbourne (Bournemouth)

I'd really like to start attending more matches when I move next month but online the journey seems to be between 2 and 3 hours! Does anyone travel from these parts to games and offer some tips or advice, for example is it better to drive?

Thank you very much.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Driving can be a real problem through Chichester and Arundel. I tend to drive M3 , M25 but I am further north close to a303 and it's anybody's guess what you will find on the M25. For me it can be anything from 1.5 to 3.5 hours so anticipating timings can be a problem. I believe there are a few that travel from further west so hopefully they can give you more feedback.

Don't know much about trains from southbourne as I have to go to Clapham junction to change

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've done Worthing to Bournemouth socially and for customer visits recently and Arundel/Chichester can be bad especially with the road works there now. Through Worthing at Offington & Lyons farm can be a bit snarled at weekends too. Generally very congested at those parts. Relatively easy drive though once on the move.

I'd say 3 hours at peak times should be reasonable to get to Falmer, but probably could be closer to 2.5 on a good run

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My out-laws live in Dorset, and when staying on extend visits have made the odd visit to Brighton for games. Not being a driver, I am restricted to taking the train. Not the cheapest or quickest of journeys, Poole to Southampton on South West Trains, and then changing to a Southern service to Brighton, which seems to take forever, before joining the throng at Brighton to get to Falmer.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
I drive from just outside of Bournemouth and leave at 10am for Saturday game, use park and ride, if at Mithras House use the Uni bus (nos 25) and can be in Seven Stars sports bar at 12 - 12.15. At the end leave on full time and home by 7pm.

Evening games are a little bit more difficult at 2 - 2 1/2 hours being normally enough time but it is more stressful - home by 12.

As said by others Chichester and Arundel sometimes difficult and evening games often see motorway/A road diversions.......

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The best alternative if you're driving is to go up the A3 from the A27, then cut across via the A272 and A283 via Petersfield, Petworth, Pulborough and Steyning, then rejoin the A27 at Shoreham. It can get a bit congested at Storrington, as it's a well known alternative to the A27, but the hold up should be nothing like the ones at Chichester and Worthing. Train wise, you would have to take the train from Pokesdown (for Boscombe), which is quite close to the Vitality Stadium, to Southampton and change to a Brighton train. Hopefully the Southampton to Brighton section would be on a 377 rather than the old 313s (I think those do the Brighton to Portsmouth journeys).

el punal

After finding out my girlfriend was pregnant 5 months ago it became apparant we couldn't afford to live in London anymore so I decided to take a transfer with work to Southbourne (Bournemouth)

I'd really like to start attending more matches when I move next month but online the journey seems to be between 2 and 3 hours! Does anyone travel from these parts to games and offer some tips or advice, for example is it better to drive?

Thank you very much.

There are a few of us from Bournemouth/Dorset/Southampton area who are committed Albion fans. If you travel by train, Bournemouth/Boscombe to Southampton Central is a frequent service (Waterloo final destination). From Southampton, for Saturday games, there is an hourly Southern Trains service direct to Brighton, leaving at approx.30 minutes past the hour. Specifically, 09.33/10.33/11.33 which take about 1hour 45 minutes. Same amount of time on the return journey.

For mid-week fixtures I'm afraid train travel is a no-no, unless you leave the match after 60 minutes! So it's a car journey or nothing. From where you are (Southbourne) get onto the A31 which then joins the M27 at Cadnam. Keep going eastbound for ever (it's the A27 by then) through Chichester, Arundel, Worthing etc. past the A23 junction and come off at Hollingbury exit to go down Coldean Lane and onto Lewes Road to go to Mithras House Park and Ride. Same route to go return.

As with any car journey time is determined by traffic conditions. From Southampton the journey can vary from 1hour 15 minutes to 2 hours. Anyway, all worthwhile if we end up with a decent three points!

theboybilly

I commuted from Shoreham to Eastleigh for three years and it was hard to find a reliable route. The A272 is a lovely scenic road but it's only a single carriageway for much of it and Midhurst can get busy during the day as can Storrington. I always left with plenty of time to spare. If I did use the A27 I invariably left it at Fishbourne and headed through the small towns like Nutbourne and Emsworth as the dual-carriageway was always susceptible to a pile-up. I don't envy you.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Thank you for your responses.

Seems like it would be a bit of a pain! At least I should be able to make plenty of saturday 3pm kick offs if i leave plenty of time.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I travel to all home games and quite a number of away games from Poole.

It's all about avoiding the traffic on the Chichester ring road and through Worthing/Lancing. For 3pm games we normally leave at 10:30/10:45 and get to Mithras House P&R without any hold-ups. We're usually home by 7:30.

For midweek/evening games I generally take the afternoon off. If I can't do that I leave work (Ringwood) at 4:30 and the journey is a bit of a nightmare! I still manage to get to Mithras P&R in time. I'm usually home just after midnight, but that entails a sprint from the West Stand Upper to join the P&R queue!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here