Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT's Biggest Ever Sale

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Anyone keep track of their prices? They seem to run adverts all the time boasting of "Our Biggest Sale Ever" and yet they are still amongst the most expensive. When are their prices normal under the trade descriptions act? Are they the new Carpet Right or DFS?
As a reference, just renewed at £151 for a year unltd b/band and w/end calls with EE home.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone keep track of their prices? They seem to run adverts all the time boasting of "Our Biggest Sale Ever" and yet they are still amongst the most expensive. When are their prices normal under the trade descriptions act? Are they the new Carpet Right or DFS?
As a reference, just renewed at £151 for a year unltd b/band and w/end calls with EE home.

Is that incl line renatal? I pay about £20 a month line rental etc & broadband but it's absolutely shocking broadband - they need to send me new router but not got round to asking...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Is that incl line renatal? I pay about £20 a month line rental etc & broadband but it's absolutely shocking broadband - they need to send me new router but not got round to asking...

Broadband may be bad with any company as it is the line not who you are with. Is it better using the cable direct to the router. Who you with.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BT are stupidly overpriced I left them two years ago for fixed phone line after they wanted me to pay more money up front when my account was in credit of £90. What was astonishing was the sales woman assured me this really was their best ever deal despite pointing out several times to her she was asking for more money up front when I was well in credit.

Switched to EE where we already had the broadband and far cheaper and they even suggested as my current contract had expired I ring their sales people to ask for a better deal and hey ho they offered the broadband half price.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Broadband may be bad with any company as it is the line not who you are with. Is it better using the cable direct to the router. Who you with.

SKY mate. Thing is, had O2 before & it was much better. Don't trust the sky router - doesn't go through walls well... Also just put price up £7 so I'm gonna go talk talk for £10 less a month and see. In laws talk talk signal is excellent... Also get a free love to shop voucher of £60 :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Best deal I ever got was a year or two back when BT were offering a free sub to BT Sport plus a hundred quid Saino's voucher plus a 12 month fraction of the cost of my broadband AOL sub. Complete no-brainer. Didn't even have to change my line rental... from BT :lol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
BT are stupidly overpriced I left them two years ago for fixed phone line after they wanted me to pay more money up front when my account was in credit of £90. What was astonishing was the sales woman assured me this really was their best ever deal despite pointing out several times to her she was asking for more money up front when I was well in credit.

Switched to EE where we already had the broadband and far cheaper and they even suggested as my current contract had expired I ring their sales people to ask for a better deal and hey ho they offered the broadband half price.

I had the a sales talk after I told them that I could get a Sky line and broadband for £16 a month. They then came from the angle that I would lose BT Sport for the £5 a month I pay. #ClutchingStraws.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's all down to Ofcom forcing BT to offer services to other licensed operators (OLOs) at a wholesale price. For example (and I'm making the figures up but the general principal applies), BT charges it's customers £20 for a phone line, so it has to offer the exact same service to it's competitors for £18; the competitor then says to customers "we'll provide a phone line for £19". All they have to do it pass the order to BT and cream off £1. Scale that up to half a million customers and there's a tidy profit for doing very little.
Added to that, BT has to provide space in it's exchanges for OLOs to install their own equipment (can you imagine if Tesco had to let Lidl have a little shop in every store, and had to sell them the produce cheaper than it was sold on it's own shelves).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
SKY mate. Thing is, had O2 before & it was much better. Don't trust the sky router - doesn't go through walls well... Also just put price up £7 so I'm gonna go talk talk for £10 less a month and see. In laws talk talk signal is excellent... Also get a free love to shop voucher of £60 :)

Does your sky just randomly cut out?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does your sky just randomly cut out?

Occasionally mate but it's more the through the walls issue. Get signal ok ish on one side of bed and little to none the other! Hardly live in a mansion either - most annoying!

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Occasionally mate but it's more the through the walls issue. Get signal ok ish on one side of bed and little to none the other! Hardly live in a mansion either - most annoying!

I have sky broadband, used to have router problems (I live in town house and couldn't get internet on top floor )

So when I renewed contract got them to send me a new router, now I have no problems with signal and it never cuts out, find sky broadband very reliable!

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I have moved house and after enjoying 100mb broadband with Virgin, BT seems like a massive downgrade. I have paid for 76mb but it averages around 35mb. The TV (incl BT sport ) is unreliable at best and the telephone exchange is constantly routing calls made to mobiles to my landline!

I am getting to the customer service people by name.

Suffice to say I am rather underwhelmed by BT so far and won't be recommending them anytime soon.

I am hoping Virgin will rock up in my area soon.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Sky do a deal that works out £5 per year for phone and broadband. They have done it tiwice in the last year and I got it the first time around. It's free broadband for a year, half price line rental(works out at £8 per month) and £100 bill credit(almost covers the whole bill for the year). You can add the anytime call package at £8 per month that includes 08, 03 numbers etc but as we all have mobiles is pointless.
The internet is fine and I get between 16-22 MB depending on when I check it. This effortlessly powers two game consoles, a smart TV, laptop, tablet and various phones.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here