Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
40 years ago Christmas Eve 1975 a group of BHA fans were in the pub The Bosun in West Street Brighton, trying to come up with ways of getting a chant going that would get everyone joining in. After a few beers and much discussion the name of SEAGULLS came about. Little did we realise the name of SEAGULLS would still be in use today and the nickname of our beloved club. The fans that the table were Lee Phillips (who shouted out the name SEAGULLS), Jeff Walls, Pete Warland, John Bayley, Kevin Bayley, Steve Smith and Derek Chapman.
I hope the attachment is readable.
HOME-PC - IMG-20151224-WA0000.jpgIMG-20151224-WA0001.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
40 years ago Christmas Eve 1975 a group of BHA fans were in the pub The Bosun in West Street Brighton, trying to come up with ways of getting a chant going that would get everyone joining in. After a few beers and much discussion the name of SEAGULLS came about. Little did we realise the name of SEAGULLS would still be in use today and the nickname of our beloved club. The fans that the table were Lee Phillips (who shouted out the name SEAGULLS), Jeff Walls, Pete Warland, John Bayley, Kevin Bayley, Steve Smith and Derek Chapman.
I hope the attachment is readable.
attachment.php
attachment.php
One year later I watched my first Albion game......brilliant.
Any of these lads on NSC?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
One year later I watched my first Albion game......brilliant.
Any of these lads on NSC?
well . . . me! and I'm sure Steve Smith pops on occasionally but I don't know his username.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought the Seagulls chant came about in '75 as a response to Palace's chant of Eagles?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Isn't that pretty much what the article states?
I thought it was a spontaneous response rather than put through a committee and auditions.

D

Deleted User X18H

Derek Chapman. You chaps do raise that's Derek Chapman current Albion director and stadium hero.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
well . . . me! and I'm sure Steve Smith pops on occasionally but I don't know his username.

I know Smith is a common name but do you know where he lived in his teens?
Older than myself, but I remember an Albion fan called Steve Smith that lived in the road I grew up in , this was in Brighton.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I thought the Seagulls chant came about in '75 as a response to Palace's chant of Eagles?

I remember that night as if it was yesterday - it remains one of my favourite Albion matches. The memory of the Seagulls chant gathering momentum and reverberating
around the Goldstone for the first ever time still shivers my timbers.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I know Smith is a common name but do you know where he lived in his teens?
Older than myself, but I remember an Albion fan called Steve Smith that lived in the road I grew up in , this was in Brighton.
Mafeking Road, just off the Lewes Road, Brighton. He now lives in Newhaven.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mafeking Road, just off the Lewes Road, Brighton. He now lives in Newhaven.

Thanks, that's him then.
His mum and my mum were friends and my sister was good friends with his sister.
Didn't really know Steve as I'm guessing he's 10 years older than me, I would have been at junior school when that photo was taken. But I remember him and his family as everyone seemed to know everyone in that road at the time.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I remember that night as if it was yesterday - it remains one of my favourite Albion matches. The memory of the Seagulls chant gathering momentum and reverberating
around the Goldstone for the first ever time still shivers my timbers.
The Seagull chant was sung at home matches prior to the Palarse match but this was the big one that had everybody around the ground singing (just as we hoped it would do). It made the club think 'what is this seagulls thing', as you said, the Seagull chant was verberating around the ground.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
40 years ago Christmas Eve 1975 a group of BHA fans were in the pub The Bosun in West Street Brighton, trying to come up with ways of getting a chant going that would get everyone joining in. After a few beers and much discussion the name of SEAGULLS came about.
Do you remember why Seagulls was chosen?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Do you remember why Seagulls was chosen?
It was one of the Eureka moments. It just sounded perfect, just a single chant that could go on and on and Brighton by the sea with seagulls all around and it would get up the noses of Palarse fans (If I remember right).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here