Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Specsavers John Cleese advert.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Fawlty Towers stopped being funny years ago, so I doubt it will make much difference.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Amazing what hard cash can do to ones moral code.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We all know he needs the money following divorces but some things are best left alone. Stopped the show after 12 episodes to maintain the quality, but believe this will spoil the memories we all have of the original

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a straight redux would probably disapoint. sounds like its been reworked a bit for modern era, with Cleese its going to be funny.

Jul 7, 2003
He did this years ago when he ran a training video company so it is nothing new.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Fawlty Towers stopped being funny years ago, so I doubt it will make much difference.

They only made 12 episodes many many years ago, so are you saying you found it funny back then then found not so after further viewings?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They only made 12 episodes many many years ago, so are you saying you found it funny back then then found not so after further viewings?

I just found it funny when I was a child, but I don't find it funny at all as an adult.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I just found it funny when I was a child, but I don't find it funny at all as an adult.

Totally agree. I loved it until a few years ago and can't sit through it now. People have told me my humour has changed but I still love Only Fools and Porridge, for context. I just don't think Fawlty Towers is actually funny.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So you actually meant , you stopped laughing at it rather than it stopped being funny :)

No, I meant it doesn't age very well as a comedy. Like a lot of comedy shows which were funny at the time, but aren't really funny now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, I meant it doesn't age very well as a comedy. Like a lot of comedy shows which were funny at the time, but aren't really funny now.

See what you mean now, but I'm a big fan of classic British comedy, I don't really find most stuff on TV today that funny.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
See what you mean now, but I'm a big fan of classic British comedy, I don't really find most stuff on TV today that funny.

Oh I love a lot of classic comedy, it's a lot better than Mrs Brown's Boys and the like. FT just doesn't float my boat, I'm aware a lot of people still love it though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh I love a lot of classic comedy, it's a lot better than Mrs Brown's Boys and the like. FT just doesn't float my boat, I'm aware a lot of people still love it though.

Mrs Brown's boys is not the favourite comedy show of NSC users :lolol:
I'm not the sort of person that could sit and watch a FT box set over and over, but I do laugh if I watch it now and again.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Totally agree. I loved it until a few years ago and can't sit through it now. People have told me my humour has changed but I still love Only Fools and Porridge, for context. I just don't think Fawlty Towers is actually funny.

I never liked FT, and maybe humour has changed, but this afternoon on Gold I watched a programme on Morecambe and Wise, followed by Steptoe and son and then a couple of episodes of Only fools and I chuckled all the way through.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Couple of things-
If you like Faulty then get to see the Fawlty Dinner experience (Thistle/now the Waterfront, Brighton) very very very funny if you are a fan.
Meanwhile didn't Cleese make a mint from the recent Python O2 shows?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Oh I still find Fawlty Towers absolutely hilarious. Totally irreverent of course, and it couldn't be made today with that content, but it doesn't stop it from being funny in my book.

Which leads me to wonder if some sort of spin off series could be made today. Off the top of my head, perhaps with Basil and Sybil in a retirement home? Andrew Sachs is still around of course, so he could reprise his role as Manuel. Maybe Connie Booth could co-write, and appear in it too. Obviously the humour would need to be far more politically correct.

No, on second thoughts it would never work. Best to carry on laughing at the old episodes, and let sleeping dogs lay.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Next thing we know they will be announcing a film version with different actors playing the key roles! Sacrilege!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Next thing we know they will be announcing a film version with different actors playing the key roles! Sacrilege!
]

I understand where you are coming from but I am actually looking forward to this film.

I still like FT and OFAH,

I liked Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when it first came out. Thought it was crap when I watched it again recently. Life of Brian is still a classic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here