Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gurr in the running to hit goals target as Albion Women change styles [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Charlotte Gurr admits the manager got her running a bit more than usual in Albion Women’s last outing before Christmas.
But the net result was two more goals and three more points towards her personal and team targets.
Albion’s top scorer enjoyed a revised role in the 4-1 win at home to Tottenham which stretched their lead to nine points over Charlton, who have three games in hand.
Jay Blackie and goal-getting substitute Lisa Fulgence also netted as Seagulls boss James Marrs changed their playing style to great effect.
Albion usually dominate possession and play a short-passing game with Gurr very much at its heart operating behind the striker.
But they went a bit more direct this time and it worked a treat.
Gurr told The Argus: “It wasn’t our best performance with the ball but we had a game-plan and we stuck to it.
“It was very effective with how Tottenham play.
“We played more balls over the top.”
Asked how that changed things for Gurr, she replied with a laugh: “More running!
“There was a lot of third-man running to get up with the strikers but one of the goals cam from me getting on the end of a cross and just tapping it in.
“It’s something we’ve worked on a lot, having more than one way to play.
“It’s good to know we can change things if we have to.”
Gurr's afternoon was not just about tap-ins.
She fired in direct from a free-kick and forced a fine save with an audacious chip from at least 30 yards.
Gurr is now on 17 league and cup goals for the season and is headed among Premier League south players only by Portsmouth’s Ini Umotong, who has 20.
The Albion star could be on level terms with a bit more luck from her trademark free-kicks.
She added: “It’s a lot better than last season.
“I’m getting in more dangerous areas and, with a lot of the goals, I couldn’t really miss.
“I have to thank my team mates for getting me those opportunities.
“I was out injured for a few weeks last year but the year before that I got 23 so I’m aiming to do better than that.”

Albion now go into a break in fixtures – but not training. They worked on Tuesday and are back at it straight after Christmas.Fixtures resume when Luton visit Culver Road in the FA Cup on Sunday, January 10.
Gurr, whose previous clubs include Arsenal and Millwall, would love to help Albion continue their push for a Super League place in the New Year.
But she also hopes 2016 brings another challenge after applying to take her UEFA B coaching badge.
She already does some coaching with Marrs and Amy Merricks at the club’s academy and coaches Albion’s under-11s at the centre of excellence.
“I enjoy doing the under-11s and they come to most of our games, which is nice,” she said.
“The UEFA B badge would give me more opportunities but it’s mainly for use in the future.
“It’s something I want to be doing when I’m past playing – but that won’t be for a few years yet.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here