Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Awful journalism in the Argus ... again

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This headline appeared in the Argus online:

TWO children returned home from a visit to the shops to discover their mother had unexpectedly died.

UNEXPECTEDLY died??? What other kind of "died" is there unless someone has been seriously ill? Who writes this crap? And who edits it? They should be ashamed.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
What's the problem? A woman with two child-aged children (sic) who dies while the kids are at the shops sounds "unexpected" to me.

Plenty of other deaths (cancer, heart trouble, old age, hospitalized) can be classified as expected, or at least not out-of-the-ordinary. This sounds out-of-the-ordinary, and, well, unexpected.

Are you on Angry Pills, or something? :kiss:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
At least it didn't finish with a Brian Owen postscript reporting that the children had admitted they were upset.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

TWO children returned home from a visit to the shops to discover their mother had unexpectedly died.

UNEXPECTEDLY died??? What other kind of "died" is there unless someone has been seriously ill? Who writes this crap? And who edits it? They should be ashamed.

2 children have just lost a parent and only a couple of days before Christmas, and you want to use their loss as the basis of some sort of point scoring thing against the Argus for reporting on it

I'd think again as to who should be ashamed if i were you.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure the write up has a huge grammatical problem. Feel sorry for those kids.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Keep it light. Have a mince pie.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You've answered your own question. If someone pops out and comes home and their gravely ill relative has died, it's not a story. Making it clear the death is unexpected makes it clear that the tragedy is from the unexpectedness as well as the death.

I really don't see the problem.

If you were to highlight that there has been an increase in reporting victims of crimes as 'local' as if that makes it somehow worse compared to visitors to the town being the victims of crimes.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You've answered your own question. If someone pops out and comes home and their gravely ill relative has died, it's not a story. Making it clear the death is unexpected makes it clear that the tragedy is from the unexpectedness as well as the death.

I really don't see the problem.

If you were to highlight that there has been an increase in reporting victims of crimes as 'local' as if that makes it somehow worse compared to visitors to the town being the victims of crimes.

In my opinion it's the word "unexpectedly" that is totally out of place. What's wrong with: TWO children returned home from a visit to the shops to discover their mother had died. ? Seems to cover the story just fine.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In my opinion it's the word "unexpectedly" that is totally out of place. What's wrong with: TWO children returned home from a visit to the shops to discover their mother had died. ? Seems to cover the story just fine.

Sounds a bit like you're trying to back track a bit now!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
When NSC sides with the Argus over you, it is certain you have spectacularly failed.

I could have just written 'failed', but felt the adverb helped emphasise the meaning of my sentence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here