Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Louis van Gaal standing up to reporters

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...nts-apology-for-false-man-utd-sacking-reports

Good for him. He has every right to sit there, look the journalists in the eye and challenge them to apologise for the lies they're printing and tweeting, there should be some opportunity for him to address that and he did in the right way in my opinion.

Full respect to a man so obviously heading for the sack, but is holding Man United back so you can't dislike him too much.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
LVG can be a touch explosive from time to time, but, fair play to him, when the press has a manager in its sights they chip chip chip away making more of a story if they can. mind you, I have to agree with your last sentence too.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Surely intense media scrutiny is part of being the Manchester United manager along with the multi million pound salary and the prestige. Naturally with Man U struggling and Mourinho available the press are going to devote a lot of coverage to the story. I thought flouncing out the way he did made him look weak. He would've emerged with more credit if he had faced the media's questions with 'we are still in the title race and I'm still in a job' stance. Surely as an ex manager of Bayern Munich and Barca he must be used to rumour and speculation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely intense media scrutiny is part of being the Manchester United manager along with the multi million pound salary and the prestige. Naturally with Man U struggling and Mourinho available the press are going to devote a lot of coverage to the story. I thought flouncing out the way he did made him look weak. He would've emerged with more credit if he had faced the media's questions with 'we are still in the title race and I'm still in a job' stance. Surely as an ex manager of Bayern Munich and Barca he must be used to rumour and speculation.

This. A bit of humour wouldn't have gone a miss either. I think this press conference is probably the penultimate nail in his Man U coffin.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Funny how people can read a situation so differently. I see him walking away from them as strong, confident and a man in control. He didn't flounce, he told them he wasn't happy with the way they're going about this business and he asked if any of them felt the need to apologise for the content of their reporting. None of them did, so he said enjoy the wine and mine pies, but I'm off.

Good for him. He's the man in charge... for now.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't like the fellow - but I think that Man Utd should show faith in him - the league position is by no means a disaster. I think they are progressing (although not as positive as many would prefer)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In some cases the people telling lies/getting the story wrong wouldn't have been in the room with him. After Swansea lost 3-0 at home to Leicester, I wrote that Monk would be sacked the next week. The paper in question rewrote my copy to say he'd be sacked after the Man City game the following week. Like LVG, I have yet to receive an apology for that one ...

But I certainly agree that he should stay. He's been hilariously bad.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I really could not give a sxxt if he stays or goes, but football (press and fans, and directors) should remember Fergie's first season.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I really could not give a sxxt if he stays or goes, but football (press and fans, and directors) should remember Fergie's first season.

Exactly. He looked like a dead man walking!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Maybe it's a language issue but he comes across as an arrogant idiot as far as I am concerned.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In some cases the people telling lies/getting the story wrong wouldn't have been in the room with him. After Swansea lost 3-0 at home to Leicester, I wrote that Monk would be sacked the next week. The paper in question rewrote my copy to say he'd be sacked after the Man City game the following week. Like LVG, I have yet to receive an apology for that one ...

But I certainly agree that he should stay. He's been hilariously bad.

Isn't it a little bit sad that people are so keen to write about other people getting the sack? Monk's case in particular, the storm of negativity surrounding him seemed to come from nowhere to me - after they beat Man Utd he could do no wrong, and then all of a sudden he's lost the plot and gets the sack. Do you wonder if there hadn't been speculation, he might have been given a fair chance to turn it around?

Man Utd can't keep hiring and firing managers, they need to pick someone and give them the chance to manage the club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just watched it. Gone within a couple of weeks I reckon. Largely incoherent, detached from reality and bordering on irrational. Looked utterly tortured.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has Wenger played LVG for a fool? He comes out and defends the Dutchman, this makes LVG think he's in the right so he comes out and attacks the media. Consequently the hole for LVG has become that much deeper. Bravo Arsene!

With Mourinho in the market, Pep looking for his next club and Giggs getting restless it's no wonder LVG is doing his nut. I can't see it getting any easier for him either.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Isn't it a little bit sad that people are so keen to write about other people getting the sack? Monk's case in particular, the storm of negativity surrounding him seemed to come from nowhere to me - after they beat Man Utd he could do no wrong, and then all of a sudden he's lost the plot and gets the sack. Do you wonder if there hadn't been speculation, he might have been given a fair chance to turn it around?

Man Utd can't keep hiring and firing managers, they need to pick someone and give them the chance to manage the club.

The players had lost confidence in Monk. He did a decent job with Laudrup's team at first, but results were tailing off and all was not well - players refusing to sit on the bench etc. All the locals knew that Monk would go, and once he had, the team put in a decent shift at Man City.

Players get managers sacked more often than papers do - ask Jose Mourinho. I actually think that the players are doing what LVG is asking them to, but that he's slipped behind the times tactically. As someone who dislikes Manchester United, I hope he stays.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here