Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Android TV box help.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I'm thinking of getting one of these and was wondering if anyone out there can advise me. I've been researching and shopping around on the internet and I find that there are loads of these tv boxes that vary in price from as little as £25 up to over £100. I've read reviews and the MINIX Neo X8-H Plus seems to come out on top at £99, but you just get the box with very little pre-loaded on it. There are others on eBay for about £50 which are jailbroken, preloaded with tonnes of apps and software and free accessories thrown in, but I've also read that there are a lot of fake clones and that the hardware isn't what it says in the description. Now I don't know whether there are any genuinely good boxes for around £50 that work well without any lag or buffering, or whether I should just go for the highly rated £99 box? Does anyone have one? Can you tell me what you've got, what you paid for it, and how well it performs? And most important of all, can you get free footy on it? thanks.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Haven't got an android TV device. I presume you mean nexus player or something similar? I have a couple of Chromecast devices which are great, main problem is they don't have an app for Amazon prime but I can cast the screen well enough from my phone or computer etc. I guess that's how you could cast footie?

albionite

May 20, 2009
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MXQ-Quad-...248861?hash=item25a0e6795d:g:9gcAAOSwQItUF7EI

I have bought about five of these and they literally are plug and play. Kodi is already installed, which includes all your sports channels, movies, boxsets, entertainment channels etc. When I say all I mean ALL

That's an old box now, better and faster ones out there that stream smoother.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T8-PRO-Fu...bc5eec&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=16&sd=262186383335

Believe this is the latest one.

Currently have the m8 box which was a vast improvement on the mx box.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm such an old fogie I use my PS3.

I get NetFlix and Now TV (when the Albion are on) it also has Love Film plus all the catch up channels.

I've had it for years, no buffering an all round cracking bit of VFM kit.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Download Kodi and you can get sky sports, sky movies, bt sports, the lot... so i've read

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Download Kodi and you can get sky sports, sky movies, bt sports, the lot... so i've read

You read correct. Kodi is the gateway to streaming pretty much anything. I installed Kodi on my laptop a few weeks back and so impressed with it have now bought a fire stick for it and connected it straight to my telly. Its the nuts !

Lychpole

Mar 2, 2009
Very tempted - I'm getting fed up with freesat and can't afford sky. Anywhere sell these over the counter local ? I'm in Eastbourne or are they mail order only ? Got a Maplins near me

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Have a look at Argos. I bought my fire stick there but not sure on the set top boxes. Failing that I do know of someone local who supplies and sets up the boxes but what you pay him is more expensive than doing it yourself but its not hard to setup if your a little IT literate.

Lychpole

Mar 2, 2009
Thank you for your help- I will have a look around after Xmas - might arrive in time for the darts final hopefully

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Thank you for your help- I will have a look around after Xmas - might arrive in time for the darts final hopefully

If you have Amazon prime, they are available next day delivery for £25. They may be the older boxes(so someone one here said) but they still work perfectly. I doubt that you could name a channel that I can't get

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Well I may well have just wasted £50, but I've gone for the Minix Neo X8 Plus at £99, the reviews say the picture quality is pristine and performance blows all the others out of the water. I hope I haven't just spent £99 on something I could have got for £50 that does exactly the same thing, but as I'm looking to get several years worth of use out of it, I may as well pay the extra and get the best, and peace of mind knowing that I haven't bought a fake, I don't trust a lot of those eBay sellers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well I may well have just wasted £50, but I've gone for the Minix Neo X8 Plus at £99, the reviews say the picture quality is pristine and performance blows all the others out of the water. I hope I haven't just spent £99 on something I could have got for £50 that does exactly the same thing, but as I'm looking to get several years worth of use out of it, I may as well pay the extra and get the best, and peace of mind knowing that I haven't bought a fake, I don't trust a lot of those eBay sellers.

Just seen this thread. Let us know how you get on. I've got the MXQ and even though I've updated with the latest version of Kodi I am having all sorts of niggle issues. Movies (via Genesis) is OK although can't get anything on HD. Sports Devil and Phoenix has stopped working pretty well completely as has UK Turks. Film on TV which I use for live TV is unwatchable due to buffering

Not sure if it's config stuff but if there really is something that is plug and play and works well then I'll switch

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
I went for the Droidbox T8 earlier in the year. Great bit of kit with Kodi already installed. Just be prepared to have to search or update add-ons from time to time as they do some times become unavailable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here