Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brewdog Xmas teaser for you business accountant types

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, Camden Town Brewery sold for 85m apparently. Using this as the basis, what is Brewdog worth? And in turn how much is a single Brewdog share worth?

A number of us on this site made small investments well before the brewery took off and I'm interested how much these are now worth.

Calling [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Every business is purchased for different reasons and it's therefore not wise to say if one sold for X another is worth Y. There can be huge assets in a business, such as property, land, IP, or it can be bought for a strategic reason which inflates its value. Either way it's safe to say craft brewery shares are on the up and brewdog shares are "probably" worth having!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Every business is purchased for different reasons and it's therefore not wise to say if one sold for X another is worth Y. There can be huge assets in a business, such as property, land, IP, or it can be bought for a strategic reason which inflates its value. Either way it's safe to say craft brewery shares are on the up and brewdog shares are "probably" worth having!

I understand this, and appreciate it's far from an exact science, but valuations on businesses can be made. In fact when the initial crowd funding happened a number of city analyst types tried to put a price on the business.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brewdog are almost certain to do a ten-for-one share split when they finally go public. Currently busting crowdfunding records by a country mile, building a nifty property portfolio and seem to have their headbanger heads well and truly screwed on with their canning and expansion plans. The ultimate local business for local people, in this case the people of Ellon, Aberdeenshire. Confounding the industry experts left right and centre. But then you knew all that anyway. So... to answer OP's original question... no idea what they're currently worth but in an Albion-stylee WELL worth sticking along for the ride :thumbsup:

What a coincidental thread as I bought 42 shares in the latest round on Crowdcube for £1995, so each share cost me £47.50. The share price is pretty hefty, but this is a company that interests me, both in terms of their products, marketing, ambition & community edge. Am going along for the ride - should be fun & the beer is pretty tasty too!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I understand this, and appreciate it's far from an exact science, but valuations on businesses can be made. In fact when the initial crowd funding happened a number of city analyst types tried to put a price on the business.

Indeed, and agreed. One of my current businesses is in the digital customer experience space, trying to value this is the biggest finger in the air guess work you could ever imagine. Great business though. (Modesty has never come easily for me!)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So, Camden Town Brewery sold for 85m apparently. Using this as the basis, what is Brewdog worth? And in turn how much is a single Brewdog share worth?

A number of us on this site made small investments well before the brewery took off and I'm interested how much these are now worth.

Calling [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Can be valued in a number of ways

1: By comparing to deals of similar sizes

2: By projecting the cash flow the business generates

3: By valuing the individual assets (although this tends to give a low figure).

Sorry I only just spotted this, have been too busy being called an 'obsessed nonce' by QPR fans for pointing out a few FFP related things in their financial affairs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure I saw a definitive price when SABMiller bought Meantime earlier this year, but I saw figures of £40-50m mooted. Prior to that, it's 2014 figures were a profit of c£500k on sales of c£17m.

I note Brewdog has been pretty scathing about the Camden Town sale to AB InBev, as it had been for Meantime previously. Same old publicity whores, I guess.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm not sure I saw a definitive price when SABMiller bought Meantime earlier this year, but I saw figures of £40-50m mooted. Prior to that, it's 2014 figures were a profit of c£500k on sales of c£17m.

I note Brewdog has been pretty scathing about the Camden Town sale to AB InBev, as it had been for Meantime previously. Same old publicity whores, I guess.

Spot on....great beer biggest pair of self publicising tits going. They've turned a great brand that makes great beer into a political model to suit their own needs and egos.

This article just about sums up how I feel about them now:

http://beerisyourfriend.org/2015/11/06/jeez-brewdog-shit-me-to-tears/

It should be about making a great product that people enjoy not polishing your own over inflated ego. They have the first bit nailed so why do they feel the need to do the latter. They are the brewing equivalent of Bono or Chris Martin.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Spot on....great beer biggest pair of self publicising tits going. They've turned a great brand that makes great beer into a political model to suit their own needs and egos.

This article just about sums up how I feel about them now:

http://beerisyourfriend.org/2015/11/06/jeez-brewdog-shit-me-to-tears/

It should be about making a great product that people enjoy not polishing your own over inflated ego. They have the first bit nailed so why do they feel the need to do the latter. They are the brewing equivalent of Bono or Chris Martin.

You mention in your article they could promote women's rights. They'd have to go a ****ing long way to reverse the amount of mysogeny they showed in the first 5-10 years. Vulgar company and the only bottle beer I've ever bought of theirs wasn't all that.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
have been too busy being called an 'obsessed nonce' by QPR fans for pointing out a few FFP related things in their financial affairs.
That must be the biggest complement anyone on here has received from anyone.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You mention in your article they could promote women's rights. They'd have to go a ****ing long way to reverse the amount of mysogeny they showed in the first 5-10 years. Vulgar company and the only bottle beer I've ever bought of theirs wasn't all that.

Can't take any claim to the article I'm afraid. Simply a blog I occasionally read. Just struck a chord how I feel about them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

to be fair, brewdog have always been about their ego and politics. they've had to turn up the volume as theres a dozen or so others doing something similar nationally. punk went mainstream, but they still want to stand out.

i hadnt heard of the beer in the blog, and reckon they've jumped the shark there, as i understand it male hop plants dont produce the flowers containing the alpha acids, so are next to useless in brewing.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I reckon that part of the high price of the Camden Town Brewery was partly down to the Camden Town in their name. It is a place with global recognition. The big multinational could sell their craft beer no problem most places around the world and people would recognise the name Camden Town and think 'ah, that's cool'.

I've never actually had a Camden Town Brewery ale, I don't think. I just know the Camden Hells Lager is the omnipresent craft lager of choice in a lot of pubs around London. Personally I reckon that Hells is overpriced pish and your Heinekens etc are actually better. It was certainly one of the lagers that pioneered regularly being over five quid a pint.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I reckon that part of the high price of the Camden Town Brewery was partly down to the Camden Town in their name. It is a place with global recognition. The big multinational could sell their craft beer no problem most places around the world and people would recognise the name Camden Town and think 'ah, that's cool'.

I've never actually had a Camden Town Brewery ale, I don't think. I just know the Camden Hells Lager is the omnipresent craft lager of choice in a lot of pubs around London. Personally I reckon that Hells is overpriced pish and your Heinekens etc are actually better. It was certainly one of the lagers that pioneered regularly being over five quid a pint.

Good point about the name. I hadn't thought of that.

PS craft beers will be more expensive due to their more expensive ingredients and often much longer production time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some Brewdog Xmas news, just announced :xmas:

'BrewDog toasts £213m US private equity investment

BrewDog, the Aberdeenshire-based craft brewer, is now worth more than £1bn after selling a stake to a US private equity firm.

The brewer has raised £213m from TSG Consumer Partners, for a 22.3% stake.

The deal will see about £100m paid out to the brewer‘s co-founders, a further £100m go into the business and the rest used to buy shares from early investors.

BrewDog earlier relied on crowdfunded cash and has 55,000 small investors.

Founders James Watt and Martin Dickie had previously said they would never sell to a multinational beer maker, but Mr Watt told the selling a minority stake to the US firm would “give us the fire power to compete globally”.

Close to £13m will be available to smaller investors who responded to BrewDog‘s earlier crowdfunding efforts. They will this week get the chance to sell shares, but can only sell up to 15% of their holdings, up to a maximum of 40 shares.'

https://stockdailydish.com/brewdog-toasts-213m-us-private-equity-investment/

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Some Brewdog Xmas news, just announced :xmas:

'BrewDog toasts £213m US private equity investment

BrewDog, the Aberdeenshire-based craft brewer, is now worth more than £1bn after selling a stake to a US private equity firm.

The brewer has raised £213m from TSG Consumer Partners, for a 22.3% stake.

The deal will see about £100m paid out to the brewer‘s co-founders, a further £100m go into the business and the rest used to buy shares from early investors.

BrewDog earlier relied on crowdfunded cash and has 55,000 small investors.

Founders James Watt and Martin Dickie had previously said they would never sell to a multinational beer maker, but Mr Watt told the selling a minority stake to the US firm would “give us the fire power to compete globally”.

Close to £13m will be available to smaller investors who responded to BrewDog‘s earlier crowdfunding efforts. They will this week get the chance to sell shares, but can only sell up to 15% of their holdings, up to a maximum of 40 shares.'

https://stockdailydish.com/brewdog-toasts-213m-us-private-equity-investment/

Tough choice.

Sell 22% to the corporate whores and get World Domination plus £50m each for the founders or build World Domination over decades or keep the whole of the business pure.

I’d take the £50m keeping 78% of the business ‘Punk’ if I was one of the founders.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is an amazing rise from humble beginnings and the reason I’m pleased to see it is because although I totally ‘get it’ with their aggressive marketing they still produce an excellent product.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is an amazing rise from humble beginnings and the reason I’m pleased to see it is because although I totally ‘get it’ with their aggressive marketing they still produce an excellent product.

By all accounts they treat the people who work for them very decently also.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here