Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good place to buy beer near Brighton

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I need to buy some beer for a family get together over Xmas. Where's a good place to buy real ale/ craft beer. Any local breweries have good shops. I need a reasonable amount so a choice other than bottles would be good too.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Harveys shop is expensive and the only option other than bottles doesn't keep. Want to pick up tomorrow for boxing day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Harveys shop is expensive and the only option other than bottles doesn't keep. Want to pick up tomorrow for boxing day.

you'll find craft beer from small shops will be expensive where ever you go. a polypin will keep for a week after opening.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
you'll find craft beer from small shops will be expensive where ever you go. a polypin will keep for a week after opening.

Yes I'm aware that things cost money. Harveys shop does take the piss though. If Asda can knock out bottes of hophead for £1 why does a 500ml bottle of beer cost £2.50 .

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Dark Star Hophead £17.40 for 10 litre kegs?

we all wish (or for the loverly Partridge), but thats about 1/3 the price. oddly Dark Star don't seem to sell pins of casks themselves, at least not on their site, though others do???

[MENTION=481]Voroshilov[/MENTION], would have to ask Asda. £1 are you sure, normally £1.70-2. local shops tend to sell all local beers for 230-280, i recall one selling Harveys bottles for £4 !

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Yes Im sure. I bought quite a few, because a) I don't go to asda that often and b) I assumed it would be a very limited offer.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
no exactly local, place called Cobbett's in Dorking seems to do a good range. its a bit of a mystery to me, when theres a number of small local breweries, there isnt more outlets for non-bottle options. maybe cause we go to the pubs? same thing when i wanted to get into home brew, very thin on the ground in Sussex, with places found on google actually shut.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has anyone sampled the craft beers of Bedlam Brewery or visited their brewery shop in Albourne?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You could try Quaff - they have shops in Portland Road and Ditching Road - I don't know how price competitive they are but they usually stock a reasonable range of beers

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Another vote for Dark Star at Partridge Green. In fact I'm off there tomorrow to pick up my Xmas supplies. I think the previous poster may have meant 5L rather than 10L as I normally pick up their APA for around £20 for 5L. If you don't want to go Partridge Green then Quaff on Portland Road in Hove which also sells 5L of various beers.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but as it's on a similar theme, does anyone know of any off licences with a particularly good rum selection in B&H? Have been asked to get someone "a rum I haven't tried before" for Xmas and all the offies I've been in just had the same half a dozen common-as-muck bottles. I get the impression that since the 'craft beer' craze took off places are giving over so much of their shelf space to bottled beers (so they can boast of stocking over 150, 200 or whatever beers) that spirits are now largely ignored...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes i meant 5 litres.

I put the 5L to 9 pints and rounded it up to 10 litres. Christmas head on today. Apologies.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Dark Star do six or seven of their beers in 5 litre, 17 pint and 36 pint containers. You can arrange to pick them up from the Evening Star pub near Brighton station if getting out the brewery is a problem. It might be too late to get for Christmas now, but ring the brewery sales line on 01403 713085 for prices, details etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here