Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SASTA - what an absolute shower

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we all know that "Southern Are Sorry To Announce" are undoubtedly the worst company in the country. They are utterly utterly terrible. Words cannot describe just how terrible they are. My 7:23 Redhill to Vic, for example, has been cancelled five times in five weeks. In that same time frame, it has also had fewer carriages than the designated 12 on 3 occasions (it once turned up with just four carriages) and today was ten minutes late. Ten minutes? It only actually started 7 miles down the line FFS.

But oddly enough, this isn't a rant about the dreadful train service they provide. It's about customer service. I just felt this snippet from the local Facebook rail group about something that happened last night and I think deserves a wider audience:

There was an exchange at Redhill ticket office this evening with one rail user having finished work for the year trying to get his 2016 season ticket starting January 4 that I thought might be of interest.
Ticket office: you need to come back on January 4th or one week before
Rail user: but you are closed between Xmas eve and Jan 4 morning (he didn't confirm but there are no trains from Redhill in this period so likely the ticket office is closed and he didn't deny it). On the website it says you can use your discretion in relaxing the week before requirement.
Ticket office: why don't you renew on January 4th?
Rail user: because I get the 5.34 and the ticket office is closed at that times
Ticket office: can you come back on Xmas eve?
Rail user: but I have now finished work for the year and you want me to come to Redhill station especially on Xmas eve to spend 4 grand on my season ticket?
Ticket office: yes
Man puts head in hands and leaves. I also leave as I was about to have exactly the same discussion. What a joke of customer service.

I thought improved customer service was one of the benefits of privatisation? I guess that's put that one to bed.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Have you ever got involved with the 'Meet the managers' at Victoria?

I walk past them and see people chatting away and wonder what they're saying. Where do you start?!

It's a f*cking diabolical, overpriced shambles where the paying customers are utterly irrelevant to your cackhanded perpetually failing attempts to hit ludicrously lenient targets, I guess.

My only pleasure from commuting is submitting delay repay claims.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did commute for 2 years, £10k spent in that time. So glad I am out of it.

My 62 mile drive twice a week, including the M25 & M3 (with all the road works there) is LESS stressful than my time commuting. Absolute shambles

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Have you ever got involved with the 'Meet the managers' at Victoria?

I walk past them and see people chatting away and wonder what they're saying. Where do you start?!

It's a f*cking diabolical, overpriced shambles where the paying customers are utterly irrelevant to your cackhanded perpetually failing attempts to hit ludicrously lenient targets, I guess.

My only pleasure from commuting is submitting delay repay claims.

Delay Repay.
Mess of a scheme yet tedious enough that Southern have done the math and yup, infuriatingly I don't get round to doing it either and waste a small fortune.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I did commute for 2 years, £10k spent in that time. So glad I am out of it.

My 62 mile drive twice a week, including the M25 & M3 (with all the road works there) is LESS stressful than my time commuting. Absolute shambles

On balance I'd probably take the 2 day a week M25 option. Make it 5 days a week and I'll suffer the trains instead though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have only had to use SASTA twice in December. Both times earned a Delay Repay claim. Going to QPR (the first of them) I actually told Southern's ticket man at Portslade what was happening.

Us: Any news on the 13.47 please?
Him: It's on time.
Us: It can't be, it's now 13.48, it is not in sight and the level crossing isn't down.
Him: But it says on the display up there "on time"
Us: Yes, however, my National Rail app shows it hasn't left Littlehampton.
Him: It's on time
Us: Here's the app
Him: Oh, it's probably delayed then.

No announcement was made. It never showed up and we went via Brighton.

:facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When it comes to delays, "Signalling problems" appears to cover basically ANYTHING. A guard admitted as much to me on the way back from the QPR game.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
The past three weeks the trains out of Redhill and Reigate have been a joke. I get the 0727 Reigate to London Bridge it ran this morning for the first time in about two weeks.

I take it the lack of train crew is down to Southern doing it on the cheap and not having enough people to cover sickness and people using up leave at the end of the year? Anyone know the reasons behind it?

I claim for every train that is late or cancelled, F@@@ them.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
It never ceases to amaze me how bad their customer service is.

Although I don't commute daily, I maybe visit our office or construction sites in London on 8-10 occasions a month and the "service" from Uckfield to London Bridge and back this year has been a shambles. However, from 4 January - 19 February 2016 there are NO trains to Buxted or Uckfield (there is a joyful replacement bus service).

This is due to platform extensions. On a line where, during the day, there is only one service an hour, surely it could have been kept open?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The past three weeks the trains out of Redhill and Reigate have been a joke. I get the 0727 Reigate to London Bridge it ran this morning for the first time in about two weeks.

I take it the lack of train crew is down to Southern doing it on the cheap and not having enough people to cover sickness and people using up leave at the end of the year? Anyone know the reasons behind it?

Not sure about Southern but the new winter timetable has been set up in such a way that Thameslink train crews can't make their connections! Thameslink and SASTA are now the same company effectively.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yes, yes they have.

As for claiming, I see that Which! are on the warpath now, they are doing something about making delay repay that much easier. Regardless, it is my NY resolution to actually claim for their dire utterly shithouse "service".

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Delay Repay.
Mess of a scheme yet tedious enough that Southern have done the math and yup, infuriatingly I don't get round to doing it either and waste a small fortune.

Do it - cashing in those vouchers is a nice feeling. Completely undermined by knowing that they'll just bump up the ticket price to cover it, but sticking it to them even just a little bit feels great.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Yes, yes they have.

As for claiming, I see that Which! are on the warpath now, they are doing something about making delay repay that much easier. Regardless, it is my NY resolution to actually claim for their dire utterly shithouse "service".

You'd have thought the technology would be there to enable Southern to automatically pay out those that have signed up to their funky new 'Key' card when they are delayed.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
My most recent experience of rail travel with Southern was for the QPR game when signals failures and staff shortages due to sickness were cited as the causes of the delays. It was not an experience I would wish to repeat and my sympathies go out to all those of you who have to use the "services" of this company to get to work. I can only imagine what it must be like - even on a good day I would imagine the peak hour trains are uncomfortable, hot and overcrowded - but on a bad day ......................... and you pay them £5k pa for the privilege???

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have never understood why it is not possible to buy season tickets early, they have a start and end date, and clearly are not valid before the start date so what is the problem in issuing early at anytime of the year.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Yes, yes they have.

Once setup with a login for Southerns website each claim takes about 2 minutes. I did two this morning.Surely the more people that claim the more Southern are mot likely to employ a few more people.

Very frustrating when they run a train into Reigate but you can't board it as there is no guard. The damn thing just departs empty.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Once setup with a login for Southerns website each claim takes about 2 minutes. I did two this morning.Surely the more people that claim the more Southern are mot likely to employ a few more people.

Very frustrating when they run a train into Reigate but you can't board it as there is no guard. The damn thing just departs empty.
And that's another thing:

http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/train-crew-recruitment

How many other companies send out shitty press releases like that because they haven't got enough people to provide the service they're paid to do? We're short staffed here at my firm. We just have to work harder and if we can't recruit the right people, the management are accountable to further up the food chain to explain why not. This sort of thing at SASTA is an utter joke.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
"Delay Repay"....had some criticism this week, but I recently claimed a refund. I thought it was easy . Of course the train should have been on time in the first place ...

That will be the delay repay that assumes you (STH) travel every day of the year (but woe betide you if you claimed but hadn't) and doesn't count if the delays are 'planned'. So who on earth can efficiently use the trains to get to London and back next week? Should be an automatic payment every day there is a > 15 min delay, that would get things sorted, make sure they have enough staff to cover etc etc.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I have never understood why it is not possible to buy season tickets early, they have a start and end date, and clearly are not valid before the start date so what is the problem in issuing early at anytime of the year.

I guess because we would all by them before January 1st when the prices get hiked and that isn't what Southern want. They are transparently underhanded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here