Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] John Byrne tweet.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Received this off a QPR chum at work today.
John Byrne still reminiscing.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG-20151221-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20151221-WA0002.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 5,471

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had almost forgotten how bleak the East could be !

D

Deleted User X18H

Helicopter hovering probably around West Blatchington windmill

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Still miss it in someways as nice as the Amex is.

Same, miss the feel of the north stand. As great as the Amex is the Goldstone had an old school atmosphere that modern grounds cannot create

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Didn't look that nice in real life :)

Looking at that it amazes me that we could get a fair bit more in there than the Amex

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Oh for the smell of the urinals as you were buying your burger at the back of the North Stand.....!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Top of the chicken run you could watch boats going up and down the channel if the football was boring and keep your eye on your Lambretta parked by the park

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The North stand was the best place on earth

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn't look that nice in real life :)

Looking at that it amazes me that we could get a fair bit more in there than the Amex

Hmmm.... if nearly everyone stood in the Amex we'd take 50,000 easily. I was at the Goldstone among, 32,000 versus, I think, Reading. It was an absolute nightmare, and we saw nothing.

My feelings about the place at the time (late 60s onward) was that it was small, crappy looking (especially the North West corner and South East corner), and a bit embarrassing, yet of course I LOVED it there. However, if I were a kid now, my heart would skip a beat every time I got close to the Amex. As far as my grumpy old self will allow, it pretty much does, actually.

The thing about the 60s, 70s, 80 and 90s is . . . . they're gone! Gone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Same, miss the feel of the north stand. As great as the Amex is the Goldstone had an old school atmosphere that modern grounds cannot create
It's just a shame that, on the whole, the atmosphere at the Goldstone was on a par if not worse than what is currently generated at the AMEX.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hmmm.... if nearly everyone stood in the Amex we'd take 50,000 easily. I was at the Goldstone among, 32,000 versus, I think, Reading. It was an absolute nightmare, and we saw nothing.

My feelings about the place at the time (late 60s onward) was that it was small, crappy looking (especially the North West corner and South East corner), and a bit embarrassing, yet of course I LOVED it there. However, if I were a kid now, my heart would skip a beat every time I got close to the Amex. As far as my grumpy old self will allow, it pretty much does, actually.

The thing about the 60s, 70s, 80 and 90s is . . . . they're gone! Gone.

In the glory days 75-79 we used to get to the ground at 130 to secure a place above the walkway on the East Terrace. Perfect view, but that 85 minutes before the teams emerged used to drag so slowly. [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION] used to stand just along from me with her Dad. It seemed like we won every week. Wardy was our idol, of course. But Nobby was the heartbeat of the Goldstone for me.

By the first division I was 16 and had migrated to the North. Different ball game, we won less but they were more memorable. Wardy's return to beat Man U at the death. Gary Williams' screamer against Shilton. Thumping John Bond's City in the Cup. The north jammed full an hour before ko against Palace, Boxing Day, Nobby's emphatic penalty sending us all cavorting to victory.

Great memories.

PG

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Those away fans arrived early...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports