Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suggestions for Andy Murray's weekend in Worthing...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the BBC is reporting that Andy Murray has been invited to visit the seaside resort by the official town crier, Bob Smytherman.

Given that the original quote referred to Murray being duller than a WEEKEND in Worthing it stands to reason that a mere daytime visit by the great man would not constitute a weekend and therefore he'd have to overnight in Sussex's second metropolis in order to lay the ghost to rest.

I suggest a few frames of snooker Slick Willie's Snooker Hall, a meal at the China Palace, a couple of cocktails at Tangerine, disco action at One Club Retro Bar then crash out at The Burlington Hotel. What's not to like about THAT?!?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Is Rutherford's night club or it's successor still going on Worthing pier? If it is, worth a visit Andy (but don't tell the wife) ... #pulltastic :rave:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
There are good places to eat in Worthing, but pubs and club wise forget it.

One club is the biggest dump in town. Bar 10 is shocking. Bar release is merely tolerable on the basis of the cheap cocktails.

Forget a night on the town in Worthing. Utter crap.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Shall we just clear this up once and for all.
Murray did not say that Worthing is dull or boring. What part of that are people not understanding.
It was an article and its more about reputation sometimes undeserved but it sticks.
Worthing and Bexhill are boring.
Tunbridge Wells is full of disgusted people.
And Slough is such a dump that it needs a bomb dropped on it, according to a poem. (that one is accurate though)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Osmond's at the Assembly Hal but I think he might have missed that gem

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shall we just clear this up once and for all.
Murray did not say that Worthing is dull or boring. What part of that are people not understanding.

We know that Raleigh, the story has moved on. The Vintner's Parrot beckons...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Is Rutherford's night club or it's successor still going on Worthing pier? If it is, worth a visit Andy (but don't tell the wife) ... #pulltastic :rave:

Rutherford's is long gone. It's now a thriving live music venue and daytime cafe.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Rutherford's is long gone. It's now a thriving live music venue and daytime cafe.

Disappointing news had many happy memories there. There was one by the station (west worthing?) as I recall do you know if that is still going?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Disappointing news had many happy memories there. There was one by the station (west worthing?) as I recall do you know if that is still going?

If you mean the club attached to Chapman's/Grand Central It is still there although not sure what sort of state it's in these days.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Plenty to do and enjoy in Worthing - I'd suggest most people's dismissive comments are based on a view of the town that's way out of date. It's changed a lot in the last few years: plenty of decent music, comedy and theatre on, some nice restaurants, Worthing football and rugby on the up, some decent coffee shops, pubs that serve good beer, and plenty of community events. Can't comment on the club scene - was never into that even when I was young enough :lolol:

el punal

I see the BBC is reporting that Andy Murray has been invited to visit the seaside resort by the official town crier, Bob Smytherman.

Given that the original quote referred to Murray being duller than a WEEKEND in Worthing it stands to reason that a mere daytime visit by the great man would not constitute a weekend and therefore he'd have to overnight in Sussex's second metropolis in order to lay the ghost to rest.

I suggest a few frames of snooker Slick Willie's Snooker Hall, a meal at the China Palace, a couple of cocktails at Tangerine, disco action at One Club Retro Bar then crash out at The Burlington Hotel. What's not to like about THAT?!?

How about a sleep-over?

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
A tour of the kebab and burger bars that proliferate around the station and Clifton Road followed by a beer in the Cobden will convince.

Last time I was in the Cobden they looked at me and my partner like I had just kicked their dog up the bum, very welcoming. I also had to sit on a very low chair whilst my partner sat on a very high chair with a tiny little table in between. If Andy goes, he could sit in the high chair and pretend he was in charge for once.

I agree about the Kebab houses around the station though, they're top notch after several pints :moo:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If you mean the club attached to Chapman's/Grand Central It is still there although not sure what sort of state it's in these days.

Chapman sold his string of pubs but after 10 years i believe he owns the Alehouse next to Bar 10, may even own Bar 10.
Brews beer in the Alehouse pub, £2-50 for a nice pint of ale and choices, and a free pint after 8 have been brought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here