Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uckfield

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Please bear with me on this one.
A while until our next game so not a bad time for a non Albion thread.
Can you please post your thoughts about Uckfield, the place and more specifically the people who live there.
Any posters welcome but I would prefer people of a certain age that remember Uckfield from 10,20, 30 years ago to what it is like now.
After I have read some posts (hopefully) I will then say why I am asking, but, just for fun, I am doing this arse about face.
All will become clear.
Hint, I am not thinking of moving there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can you please post your thoughts about Uckfield, the place and more specifically the people who live there.
Any posters welcome but I would prefer people of a certain age that remember Uckfield from 10,20, 30 years ago to what it is like now.
After I have read some posts (hopefully) I will then say why I am asking, but, just for fun, I am doing this arse about face.
All will become clear.

How very mysterious.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
End of a crap train line so its inhabitants (along with Buxted) get a very raw deal as any problems then services often get terminated at Crowborough.

Not great for a drink.

Does have a pretty decent high street with a cracking independent cinema.

Prone to flooding.

Two McDonalds.

Very good but expensive golf course(s) just up the road.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Lived there from the age of 0 to 18, don't now but parents still do. Think it's very "average" in terms of the people that live there. Not sure what you're getting at? Don't think it's changes a great deal, but has gradually got a lot bigger.

It has quite a lot of facilities for a small town but is utterly crap for pubs.

Lovely surrounding countryside.

A fair share of chavs.

Very frustrating 6 mile gap in the railway line between Lewes and Uckfield.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Uckfield since the 1950s has always had a real conflict with Crowborough , not so much now I believe but when my Mum was younger she said the lads from Crowborough & Uckfield would always fight along with T Wells too.
Most of the people back when I were a lad were proper arse heads in Uckfield , (not saying there weren't some in Crowborough either though) about 30 years ago. All the " faces" seem to have either died, moved away or are still in jail.
The thing is now Uckfield is a thriving town but is much smaller than Crowborough but seems to have everything in it that one would need, Pubs , loads of decent shops, Maccy Ds a Cinema etc etc where as Crowborough doesn't.
I've always found that very very odd considering Crowborough is the largest inland town in the whole of East Sussex.
I'm really puzzled why you're wanting to know about Uckfield ? Why ? What Reason ?
Would i live in Uckfield now ? Yes I probably would do as its facilities far out rival Crowboroughs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A guy I used to work with lived there for a while. He was originally from Wolverhampton. One day the postman put a letter through his door that had been addressed to "The Wolves fan who lives in Uckfield". That was it, no post code, street name or actual name. At the time I was impressed but, on reflection. it makes it seem a little Royston Vasey.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I like the fact that the sign by the River Uck has been fashioned in such a way as to make it graffiti proof.

I used to love driving past this as a kid. I always wanted to really annoy the graffiti'ites by changing it to Duck before they could get their F on there.

Last I saw it had been narrowed but you could still use the thick black outline and just put two lines out of it? Highlight of the trip down to my Grans that used to be

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A godson of mine was one of the idiots that burned down half the high street three or four years ago. Thankfully the Picture House was unharmed.

Now we are getting somewhere. Stupid to hold on any longer, I will just go for a smoke and then let you know what I am banging on about.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Last I saw it had been narrowed but you could still use the thick black outline and just put two lines out of it?

Do you mean like this? :D

iecgBQM.png

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My daughter plays rugby there so I have to go to the place more often than I'd like to. The cinema looks great and I like the sports shop but it appears to have no other redeeming features. It looks like a good place to go if you fancy getting your head kicked in at the weekend

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All will become clear.

Are you rewriting the Doomsday book?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Uckfield since the 1950s has always had a real conflict with Crowborough , not so much now I believe but when my Mum was younger she said the lads from Crowborough & Uckfield would always fight along with T Wells too.
Most of the people back when I were a lad were proper arse heads in Uckfield , (not saying there weren't some in Crowborough either though) about 30 years ago. All the " faces" seem to have either died, moved away or are still in jail.
The thing is now Uckfield is a thriving town but is much smaller than Crowborough but seems to have everything in it that one would need, Pubs , loads of decent shops, Maccy Ds a Cinema etc etc where as Crowborough doesn't.
I've always found that very very odd considering Crowborough is the largest inland town in the whole of East Sussex.
I'm really puzzled why you're wanting to know about Uckfield ? Why ? What Reason ?
Would i live in Uckfield now ? Yes I probably would do as its facilities far out rival Crowboroughs.

Crowborough's nearness and relatively easy access to Tunbridge Wells probably accounts for its lack of facilities compared with Uckfield, which only has a similar sized Lewes nearby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here