Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is the best cinema screen / room in or close to Brighton?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm after a decent size screen, good quality sound, and not too big a room, to watch Star Wars in 2D.

With that in mind, which is the best screen in or close to Brighton (cinema and screen number)?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Odeon main screen about 800 capacity double the size including the screen of any other in Brighton

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm going to Werving.

Only £6 odd, and I can have a pint in my seat. Jobs a goodun.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
These days I only ever go to Komdedia or dukes, caus im an old man and I can't stand being surrounded by ignorant scum. (unless I'm going to the IMAX for huge explosions and visceral sound etc)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm going to Werving.

Only £6 odd, and I can have a pint in my seat. Jobs a goodun.
There are of course many things that make a good cinema - how easy it is to book, price, food and drink, parking, screen, sound, seating, whether the audience come from Crawley or not, etc.

For this particular viewing I'm interested in:
Screen
Sound
Seating
Audience behaviour

Nothing else.

There's the Odeon, Marina, Picture house in Uckfield, Crawley imax (the 2D isn't 70mm, which I thought was the whole point, but perhaps the sound is good).

I've really no idea which is best.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Duke of Yorks seems the ticket

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
These days I only ever go to Komdedia or dukes, caus im an old man and I can't stand being surrounded by ignorant scum. (unless I'm going to the IMAX for huge explosions and visceral sound etc)
I also don't want to be surrounded by scum, but I want the great visuals and sound (of the film, not the audience).

I don't want to be at a cinema where the audience thinks their participation is welcome.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are of course many things that make a good cinema - how easy it is to book, price, food and drink, parking, screen, sound, seating, whether the audience come from Crawley or not, etc.

For this particular viewing I'm interested in:
Screen
Sound
Seating
Audience behaviour

Nothing else.

There's the Odeon, Marina, Picture house in Uckfield, Crawley imax (the 2D isn't 70mm, which I thought was the whole point, but perhaps the sound is good).

I've really no idea which is best.

Fair enough. I'm clearly not quite as discerning as you, as I don't notice a great deal of difference from one screen to another once I'm watching and "into it".

That said, I'd put a high priority on avoiding one that has an audience that feels the need to whoop, holler and generally interact with the film in an extrovert manner - that would VERY rapidly jump all over my tittage. I'd put that top of my list of no-no's.

How much is it to watch at the IMAX in Crawley, out of interest ? Do you need to arrange an overdraft beforehand ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. I'm clearly not quite as discerning as you, as I don't notice a great deal of difference from one screen to another once I'm watching and "into it".

That said, I'd put a high priority on avoiding one that has an audience that feels the need to whoop, holler and generally interact with the film in an extrovert manner - that would VERY rapidly jump all over my tittage. I'd put that top of my list of no-no's.

How much is it to watch at the IMAX in Crawley, out of interest ? Do you need to arrange an overdraft beforehand ?

Cost me just shy of £15 to watch Star Wars in 3D at Crawley IMAX last week.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cost me just shy of £15 to watch Star Wars in 3D at Crawley IMAX last week.

That's a lot cheaper than I thought.

I'm sure I got mugged off to the tune of nearly £20 by the Odeon for Avatar 3D a few years back (my first and only 3D film, total gimmick and not worth the extra).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough. I'm clearly not quite as discerning as you
I wouldn't go as far as discerning. I notice if everyone's packed in like sardines, I notice if the screen is a bit small, and I notice when the sound is impressive. But I very rarely go to the cinema these days (once every couple of years) as it's easy to have a good screen at home, and you don't need a baby sitter.

So I wouldn't say discerning, but I just thought someone here would know the best choices for screens etc in Brighton - I expect we have some avid movie goers here, what know these things.

Agreed.

Lol. No idea. I've seen people here say they have to go there for films, but I am concerned about the audience. It is Crawley. We went to the Odeon screen 4 last week and I liked it, as you didn't feel like you were lost in a mass of people, but the screen was still a fair size. But instead of just going back there I thought I try and find out if there was a better option - maybe go for something bigger this time.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
It's arty and shows a great variety of films, but are the sound and visuals top notch?

I'm getting the feeling I should go to them all, and write a review.

Dukes closed for a while earlier in the year to install a new sound system. However, since then, I've only seen a couple of lo-fi features and some documentaries there so can't really vouch for the sound's full potential yet...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I can affirm that there was zero whoopin' and hollerin' going on at the Crawley IMAX, though it was the 7:15am showing so a decidedly odd experience for all.

The screen is MASSIVE and the sound is very LOUD, but they don't half bang on about it before the film starts. You've got your adverts, your trailers and then loads of examples of why your current audiovisual experience is going to be the most filmgasmic thing you've ever done, so please wipe down the seat in front afterwards. It gets on your nerves when you're just waiting to watch ****ing Star Wars.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Theatre Sluts is my favourite cinema.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Tonight at the Dome in Worthing it is only £3 to go see Star Wars. Sold out, so no good for OP but worth keeping in mind. Cheap popcorn and can take in a pint.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Chichester cinemas are pretty decent, maybe a little far, but better option than Crawley.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I can affirm that there was zero whoopin' and hollerin' going on at the Crawley IMAX, though it was the 7:15am showing so a decidedly odd experience for all.

The screen is MASSIVE and the sound is very LOUD, but they don't half bang on about it before the film starts. You've got your adverts, your trailers and then loads of examples of why your current audiovisual experience is going to be the most filmgasmic thing you've ever done, so please wipe down the seat in front afterwards. It gets on your nerves when you're just waiting to watch ****ing Star Wars.

Is IMAX that much better than normal cinema screens? I've never been and as I have yet to see the new Bond film, thought I might try IMAX for one of them just to see if its worth the trip.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here