Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who came out with this PEARL of Managerial WISDOM?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pearl Wisdom.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Winner

wolves gwtp 9.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
He got sacked at the end of the FOLLOWING season

Seem to recall we gave Wolves a hiding that day. Although I thought this was the 85/86 season. On the last day of the 84/85 season promotion was still mathematically possible, although extremely unlikely. And it was Sheffield United we played that day.

That said, it was a long foggy time ago.

Edit: It was the 84/85 season, but Catlin was wrong when he said promotion was impossible.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Seem to recall we gave Wolves a hiding that day. Although I thought this was the 85/86 season. On the last day of the 84/85 season promotion was still mathematically possible, although extremely unlikely. And it was Sheffield United we played that day.

That said, it was a long foggy time ago.

Edit: It was the 84/85 season, but Catlin was wrong when he said promotion was impossible.

Yes, we nobbed Wolves 5-1 then went to Grimsby and scored 3 in the last 5 minutes to win 4-2. A 1-0 win against Sheffield United then got everyone on their transistors, but not for long.

Promotion was mathematically possible going into that game, but heavily dependent on other teams slipping up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, we nobbed Wolves 5-1 then went to Grimsby and scored 3 in the last 5 minutes to win 4-2. A 1-0 win against Sheffield United then got everyone on their transistors, but not for long.

Promotion was mathematically possible going into that game, but heavily dependent on other teams slipping up.
I remember this. We needed Birmingham to beat Leeds (they did), but Pompey to fail to beat Huddersfield (they won 2-0) and Man City to lose to Charlton (they won 5-1)

As for the Wolves game, it was the only one I missed that season as I fell asleep on the sofa after coming back from a school trip to Germany. :(

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
And it was Sheffield United we played that day.

Was that the day of the pitch invasion? I was at Ardingly and we had Saturday school so I couldn't go, but a fellow Albion fan managed to bunk off Saturday afternoon activities and go and I seem to remember him telling me about it. Possibly a boring fact, though I found it interesting as I was there: the day after the Sheffield United match, the Albion came up to East Grinstead FC to play a friendly. Either the players had too good a night on the Saturday or they were tired, as EG dominated the match and won it, with Gary O'Reilly scoring quite a memorable own goal.

-> Brighton & Sussex -> Alliance -> Alliance & Leicester -> Santander ? ???

Did they have an advert on the County Ground covers? I remember the Alliance Building Society doing so, but can't remember if Sussex County did before them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here