Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Gives up F1 Rights

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Amazing isn't it?, the bastion of the British sporting calendar, and for so many years proudly served by the BBC . . . The Grand National, The University Boat Race, Test Match Cricket, and now Formula 1, all hived off to independent channels.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Test Match Cricket was a far greater loss to my mind.

The moment Bernie started taking the dirty money for hosting races in whatever country and dropping the classic European circuits, he grew a foreign market, but he loses his traditional one. F1 is about history and he is frankly is happy to piss all over it.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Brilliant! The money saved should allow them to concentrate on making more utter sh*t like bake off,pottery throw down etc. etc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Amazing isn't it?, the bastion of the British sporting calendar, and for so many years proudly served by the BBC . . . The Grand National, The University Boat Race, Test Match Cricket, and now Formula 1, all hived off to independent channels.

And The Open.

Still, at least we get to watch lots of people making cakes.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Will Channel 4 coverage be the Sky coverage re-transmitted? Can't see them having the money to spend to send their own people out.
Personally, I watch every race but record it and then fast forward to the best bits. Two hours of the same cars in the same order going around a track would bore me otherwise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And The Open.

Still, at least we get to watch lots of people making cakes.

Which is still more exciting than watching F1 contrived nonsense and overpaid drivers with egos bigger than pretty much every footballer you'll ever hear from.

F1 lost the plot when it decided to award double points for the final race. That's a bit like when losing a game 2-0, it is decided with 5 mins to play that "next goal wins". BBC are well out of that one.

Which is still more exciting than watching F1 contrived nonsense and overpaid drivers with egos bigger than pretty much every footballer you'll ever hear from.

F1 lost the plot when it decided to award double points for the final race. That's a bit like when losing a game 2-0, it is decided with 5 mins to play that "next goal wins". BBC are well out of that one.

They only did the double points once, then binned it. Clearly a terrible idea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm not a big fan of F1 anyway, but its depressing to see the gradual erosion of sport on a channel we all pay for, especially as when they DO cover sport they generally do it very, very well. Just look at the state of the Football League Show now that's been binned off to Channel 5.

All the BBC seem bothered about these days is churning out endless cooking shows, dancing shows, and thoroughly depressing soaps.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not a big fan of F1 anyway, but its depressing to see the gradual erosion of sport on a channel we all pay for, especially as when they DO cover sport they generally do it very, very well. Just look at the state of the Football League Show now that's been binned off to Channel 5.

All the BBC seem bothered about these days is churning out endless cooking shows, dancing shows, and thoroughly depressing soaps.

I think that's harsh. Their on-line content leaves others trailing in their wake, and I'm not sure the public wants the public purse being spent on obscene sports contracts. And let's be clear, F1 and most of the football is ridiculously expensive. I do think the BBC should be looking at both Premiership and Superleague rugby though, which I'd think would be no more expensive than FA Cup football.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Back to ad breaks, then. :down:

Shame it had to come to this. The BBC coverage is always excellent and its a shame they couldn't deliver all the races. I wonder if the deal will be the same with Channel 4 only showing 10 races live. I guess the very existence of the Sky channel depends on it, sadly

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

and those long term contracts for the World Cup, Wimbledon, the FA Cup, the Olympics, Match of the Day, UK Athletics and the World Athletics Championships, the Euros, live Rugby League, Snooker, the London Marathon, the Boat Race etc etc and rather a lot of sport on 5 Live.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I just don't understand how it has got to this point?

Surely they have a relatively guaranteed revenue? They know how much they will get from the TV license and government funding and that is the budget to work toward?

To me as an ex water company employee (and I am more than happy to be told I am wrong) it is much like a lot of the water companies. they know the money that will come in and therefore how much they can spend but a lot of them get a bit arrogant about it and overspend. They know it will catch up with them but don't really care at the time.

It's a shame as the BBC used to be brilliant but I barely watch any of the channels any more. I will listen to 5 live coverage and that's about it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
and those long term contracts for the World Cup, Wimbledon, the FA Cup, the Olympics, Match of the Day, UK Athletics and the World Athletics Championships, the Euros, live Rugby League, Snooker, the London Marathon, the Boat Race etc etc and rather a lot of sport on 5 Live.

Many of which are protected by OFCOM to be on free-to-air on terrestrial TV, so the BBC are obligated to retain some of its sporting content. I wonder how much more they'd ditch if they weren't under that obligation.

As an aside, I AM a big fan of the BBC. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says, their online content is superb and provides a veritable oasis of ad-free coverage. And when they cover sport, they do a great job. Which is why it depresses me to see this erosion of sports continue. Its depressing that major sporting events such as Test cricket and the British Open is given up completely, not to mention other sports which have fallen by the wayside like boxing, which now receives a tiny audience compared with days gone by. I suppose its market forces, with big hitters like Sky and BT on the scene who the BBC don't even try to compete with.

The writing was on the wall once they binned Sportsnight. I'm surprised they can even scrape the footage together to put SPOTY on these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here