Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Polio on the verge of being wiped out

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That's cool. Though, I thought polio was wiped out years ago.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I once met an Indian girl who lived in the UK and suffered terribly with polio. It's an awful ******* of a disease, so this is very welcome news.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's cool. Though, I thought polio was wiped out years ago.

In the UK yes, but not throughout the globe, until now, which is great news. I have to say that there has been great progress on many of the Millennium Development Goals, which set 2015 as its year of measure. See:

http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/2015_MDG_Report/pdf/MDG 2015 rev (July 1).pdf

The ones where there have been problems with is Goal 1 (where they've had to shift the measurements to hide rises in poverty, inequality and hunger), and Goal 7 (which ignores carbon emissions, which is incredibly problematic given its supposedly about Environmental Sustainability).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In the UK yes, but not throughout the globe, until now, which is great news. I have to say that there has been great progress on many of the Millennium Development Goals, which set 2015 as its year of measure. See:

http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/2015_MDG_Report/pdf/MDG 2015 rev (July 1).pdf

The ones where there have been problems with is Goal 1 (where they've had to shift the measurements to hide rises in poverty, inequality and hunger), and Goal 7 (which ignores carbon emissions, which is incredibly problematic given its supposedly about Environmental Sustainability).

One would have thought with the billions we give away in foreign aid each year this could be sorted by now? Oh well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Another species on the verge of extinction :facepalm: when will the human race ever learn?

I remember, as a child, being warned not to swim in dodgy ponds or lakes, for fear of catching polio. Fortunately, a programme of vaccination had been developed, but it was not taken up universally until the sugar cube replaced the jab as the means of delivery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here