Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Backpass Magazine - Ray Clarke interview

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy all,

Just to let those of you out there of a particular age know that I've done an interview with Ray Clarke, our ex-centre forward from the 1979/80 season, for the latest edition of Backpass magazine (Issue 48, Christmas & New Year), a title I know many of you are familiar with.

I've spoken to Ray on quite a few previous occasions but this time he happened to stun me with one particular piece of information, namely that he had polio as a child. I never knew this and, in fact, can't think of anyone who has gone on to play professional football (particularly at such a high level) having come through such an experience. A thoroughly good bloke and there's plenty in there about he went from Division Four with Mansfield to playing for the great Ajax team of the seventies. Can't think there are many out there who have done that.

All the best and a happy Christmas to all of you,
Spencer Vignes

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've spoken to Ray on quite a few previous occasions but this time he happened to stun me with one particular piece of information, namely that he had polio as a child. I never knew this and, in fact, can't think of anyone who has gone on to play professional football (particularly at such a high level) having come through such an experience.

It may be unknown in football but golfer Jack Niklaus and test cricketer Bhagwath Chandrasekar both had polio as children and went on to successful sporting careers. Kudos for Clarke for doing so - he was good player for the Albion. Not one of the glamour players from those days, but did a job

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It may be unknown in football but golfer Jack Niklaus and test cricketer Bhagwath Chandrasekar both had polio as children and went on to successful sporting careers. Kudos for Clarke for doing so - he was good player for the Albion. Not one of the glamour players from those days, but did a job

From what I recall he did not do too much apart from the all important thing and be clinical in front of goal When given a chance, he was good at taking it. I believe he left us for Newcastle and then rather disappeared.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
From what I recall he did not do too much apart from the all important thing and be clinical in front of goal When given a chance, he was good at taking it.

You could probably say the same about Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker though - I'd happily take someone like that now (note: I'm not saying that Clarke was anyway close to being as good as those two, but the principle holds)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Didn't Garrincha, Brazil's winger at the '58 and '62 World Cups have polio as a child? His spine was deformed, his right leg bent outwards and his left leg was six centimetres shorter and curved inwards. He must have had a superb tailor!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
You could probably say the same about Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker though - I'd happily take someone like that now (note: I'm not saying that Clarke was anyway close to being as good as those two, but the principle holds)

Oh yes very much so. He was what we needed at the time and did well. Goals are what count !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here