Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Many Selectable Players do we have in our Squad

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Given CH reluctance to play Chicksen or Elvis, how many players do we actually have available for selection? My biggest fear is that should we suffer another injury we will be in difficulties. We are clearly now missing Solly and Lua Lua and why CH has no faith in Chicksen I have no idea, I struggled to see where would score from yesterday and with no service to young Wilson we were devoid of any significant opportunities. I think our realistic squad is currently 15 players and that's not enough to be promoted automatically or to reach the play offs.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Well there was the eleven that started yesterday, six on the bench of which CH won't play two of them, Towell who signed for us in a fanfare and hasn't made the team sheet. So that's sixteen players of which two are goalkeepers. That's running thin.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well there was the eleven that started yesterday, six on the bench of which CH won't play two of them, Towell who signed for us in a fanfare and hasn't made the team sheet. So that's sixteen players of which two are goalkeepers. That's running thin.

Towell isn't allowed to make the team sheet until January.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, that puts us down to 15 then, its worse than I thought!

Off the top of my head, you're not including Dunk who was out suspended, just for the one game, and also Baldock is possibly due back Boxing Day?

You're right, we are very thin on the ground, but January is only just around the corner.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Off the top of my head, you're not including Dunk who was out suspended, just for the one game, and also Baldock is possibly due back Boxing Day?

You're right, we are very thin on the ground, but January is only just around the corner.

Yes January is only just around the corner, but tempting clubs to part with their best assets mid season is notoriously difficult, and very expensive.

I have a sneaky feeling that, in the main at least, we will only be signing loan players.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Indeed. Fully fit squad and we've got 20 selectable players at least, that's sufficient. A couple of additions in January will be about right, more than that and the.difficulties are different ones. The current picture is skewed by those injuries.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

PS : Baldock and Lua Lua are due back in full training this week.

PPS: We have 30 members of the first team squad, Towell isn't registered until Jan 1st, 3 are out on loan (Rea, COG and Walton), March out til end of season and Rosenior, Uwe, Bong aren't likely to back until Jan at earliest.

Which leaves 22. Lets discount Ankergren which leaves 21 players to pick from if you assume Dunk, Baldock and Lua Lua might be back for the 26th or the 29th.
Lets call it 22 by January 1st if you include Towell.

Now Obviously
Holla, JFC, Manu and Chicksen don't get much of a look in but Hughton has picked all of em in the squad this season and all have played some minutes. Hardly "unselectable" - whatever that means. Things haven't got so bad for Hughton that Holla is even part of the matchday 18 in the last 3 matches so he's still got some options.

PPPS: Rea and Walton are due back early Jan from Plymouth and Southend.

see: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?504-Brighton-Hove-Albion-Squad-2015-16-Contract-durations

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes January is only just around the corner, but tempting clubs to part with their best assets mid season is notoriously difficult, and very expensive.

I have a sneaky feeling that, in the main at least, we will only be signing loan players.

I make it that, other than the alternating forward duo, ie hemed and BZ, there is literally no one able to come in who has had sufficient playing time, and could realistically be considered as like for like, assuming that Uwe is unavailable. This is an unbelievable situation, probably unparalleled in all my 55 years of supporting the Albion.
As you rightly say, January is around the corner, but there is perhaps one chink of light here, quite apart from your observation about price. In contrast to the largely mediocre crop of loanees last year, the club is now in a far better position to attract players of pedigree, who would not only be a useful addition to the Championship, but, critically, also good enough for the PL. A loanee would see their chance to earn a contract with the Albion at the end of the season if all goes to plan, so they would presumably be very keen to impress.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
PS : Baldock and Lua Lua are due back in full training this week.

PS: We have 30 members of the first team squad, Towell isn't registered until Jan 1st, 3 are out on loan (Rea, COG and Walton), March out til end of season and Rosenior, Uwe, Bong aren't likely to back until Jan at earliest.

Which leaves 22. Lets discount Ankergren which leaves 21 players to pick from if you assume Dunk, Baldock and Lua Lua might be back for the 26th or the 29th.
Lets call it 22 by January 1st if you include Towell.

Now Obviously
Holla, JFC, Manu and Chicksen don't get much of a look in but Hughton has picked all of em in the squad this season and all have played some minutes. Hardly "unselectable" - whatever that means. Things haven't got so bad for Hughton that Holla is even part of the matchday 18 in the last 3 matches so he's still got some options.

PS: Rea and Walton are due back early Jan from Plymouth and Southend.

see: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?504-Brighton-Hove-Albion-Squad-2015-16-Contract-durations

Good break down, thanks.

I didn't mention Lua Lua when I mentioned Baldock as there's a nagging doubt there which really worries me. Perhaps it's fueled by rumours that he may have a career ending injury?, but we keep being told he's due back soon only for that to be put back and put back. If and when he does come back fully fit I think we'll all be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good break down, thanks.

I didn't mention Lua Lua when I mentioned Baldock as there's a nagging doubt there which really worries me. Perhaps it's fueled by rumours that he may have a career ending injury?, but we keep being told he's due back soon only for that to be put back and put back. If and when he does come back fully fit I think we'll all be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Have a listen to CH on Player after yesterday's game. Think he said Sam is back 'very soon', Lua Lua in Jan and Bong/Rosenior in Feb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here