Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I missing something here?

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
You draw 6 games and get 6 points. You win 3 and lose three and get 9 points. What's the point of having a massive unbeaten run, if you're not actually winning matches?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
And using your fine example of having an additional 3 points unless they were decent wins by clear margins it would've put us 2nd at best. We're doing far better than expected in spite of the draws and the 3 points for a win and a defeat being better than 2 draws has been mentioned many times on here.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You are missing something. Draws and Wins make up an unbeaten run. Our 22 match unbeaten had wins in them.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Middlesbrough haven't had a massive unbeaten run and have lost 4 games. However, they have three more points than us and a vastly superior goal difference. I'm not convinced that I am missing something.
You are missing something. Draws and Wins make up an unbeaten run. Our 22 match unbeaten had wins in them.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Firstly, you don't lose and build a non-losing mentality. Then work on converting draws to wins.
What you're missing is we were in a relegation battle this time last year.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Middlesbrough haven't had a massive unbeaten run and have lost 4 games. However, they have three more points than us and a vastly superior goal difference. I'm not convinced that I am missing something.

It was you just your example mentioned draws in an unbeaten run not wins. The thing for me that is important is average points per game, for the first time in a very long time we have an average of under 2 points per game. We now need to win against Brentford to get back our 2 point per game.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You draw 6 games and get 6 points. You win 3 and lose three and get 9 points. What's the point of having a massive unbeaten run, if you're not actually winning matches?

Mathematically true, but nothing like our record. We weren't drawing six, we were winning three and drawing three. That's 12 points. We have won half of our games. That's the fourth best number of wins in the division. We are in third not fourth because we have lost only one compared to Hull's five. The old cliche says win at home and draw away equals promotion. Until yesterday that is, in effect, what we were doing. Had we won half and lost half as in your example we would be ten points worse off and outside the top six.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
That it the reason they brought in three points for a win. In the old days both scenarios would create 6 points. It's to encourage positive play. I suspect that Hughton's phylosophy at the beginning of the season was to tighten up the defence. I don't think he considered that we would just about score sufficiently more goals than we concede. To be fair, where we are in the league is a bonus that few of us saw coming. Now we are where we are I like the school of thinking that we could invest in January and maintain our place at or near the top.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Firstly, you don't lose and build a non-losing mentality. Then work on converting draws to wins.
What you're missing is we were in a relegation battle this time last year.

What you say is very true of course, but I think however well the team does, some people will always want, and expect, more.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So does a record of P46 W 23 D 0 L23 get you promoted with 69 points?

Also if you look at all tables at the end of the season, it is usually teams with the lowest number of losses that ate near the top.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What you are missing is the fact this his been chewed over a bazillion times already on NSC.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You miss the psychological advantage the unbeaten run gave us.. However, now it's over, I'd rather we went for the jugular in some of those away games if we're drawing with 10 to go :)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Yes, you've missed the fact that we won 50% of our games and drew the other 50%. Which is better than win one lose one. I would have thought that would be obvious.

In case its not obvious, win one draw one would leave a team with 92 points at the end of the season which would almost certainly win you the league. Win one lose one would give you 69 points which would almost certainly mean you finish outside the play offs. Now, given the choice of winning the league or finishing 8th or so which would you choose?

I think that's the point of the unbeaten run.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the purpose of the game and the league is to win, not have an unbeaten run. so the points have been deliberatly biased to encourage going for the win. unbeaten runs are great, if there are lots of wins, as it builds momentum and gets points on the board.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If we hadn't had such a torrid injury list, some of those draws could have been wins. The team is doing the best that it can.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here