Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's a manager worth?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
With Pep Guardiola leaving Bayern the cheque books must be out for him in the PL. Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea must be after his signature, but at what cost. It was revealed that Sir Alex had a clause in his contract that his wage would be equal to the highest paid player (Rooney?) but are they worth more or less than a star player. Rarely is a transfer fee involved but there is always a pay off when they are sacked (Jose is rumored to be getting £10's millions).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Lots.

I think our own has done a brilliant job. I wonder if another manager could have done the same job with the same set of players.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
In the long term, studies show changing manager makes little difference to a team's performance. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517 for an example study.

But there are exceptions. Eddie Howe seems to have a Midas Touch at Bmuff and, I agree, CH has done a fine job for us. Moot point whether anyone else could get same from these players, to my mind the acumen he has shown is getting a group pf players together who are strong mentally and well as good technically. After yesterday, the mental strength will be tested with two very losable games to follow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With Pep Guardiola leaving Bayern the cheque books must be out for him in the PL. Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea must be after his signature, but at what cost. It was revealed that Sir Alex had a clause in his contract that his wage would be equal to the highest paid player (Rooney?) but are they worth more or less than a star player. Rarely is a transfer fee involved but there is always a pay off when they are sacked (Jose is rumored to be getting £10's millions).

I have read that the standard approach for sacked Chelsea managers is to continue paying them until they get a new job.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have read that the standard approach for sacked Chelsea managers is to continue paying them until they get a new job.

What an incentive to go on a very long vacation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here