Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-3-3

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Was wondering whether yesterday might just see us shore up midfield and tweak the line up, especially with Solly out for the season, VLP only on loan and Baldock coming back. Another body in mdfield and Wilson going left and baldock going right with either BZ or Tomer in the middle. Wilson and Baldock would certainly have the pace to worry most teams in this division. Love 4-4-2 but yesterday showed that a big physical and technical team like Boro can play round a two in midfield especially with two overlapping full backs.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Was wondering whether yesterday might just see us shore up midfield and tweak the line up, especially with Solly out for the season, VLP only on loan and Baldock coming back. Another body in mdfield and Wilson going left and baldock going right with either BZ or Tomer in the middle. Wilson and Baldock would certainly have the pace to worry most teams in this division. Love 4-4-2 but yesterday showed that a big physical and technical team like Boro can play round a two in midfield especially with two overlapping full backs.

Why?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Crossed my mind. I think they were just better than us given we were depleted. Not sure any formation would have got us a result

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Have you not noticed we are third in the league and beaten just the once? I don't understand your point?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
You do realize if we'd played 4-3-3 and lost Hughton would have been crucified for changing a winning system? Play the formation we play the best in, there is nothing to fear in this division. Unfortunately the players looked tired and made some clumsy errors early on giving us no chance yesterday.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You do realize if we'd played 4-3-3 and lost Hughton would have been crucified for changing a winning system? Play the formation we play the best in, there is nothing to fear in this division. Unfortunately the players looked tired and made some clumsy errors early on giving us no chance yesterday.

This. Karanka mentioned the tiredness himself:

“Today was a really good example of how this league is. I think the changes I made today from Tuesday was the key. I felt we were better and fitter, sharper, than them, they looked tired at times.”

If CH made a mistake, it was not looking at Derby, QPR and Boro as 3 tough games in 8 days, and therefore need to look at the very limited rotation options he has. There is lot to be said for continuity in team selection, but there have been defensive cracks appearing before Derby. It might have seemed strange to do so, but I wonder whether Goldson and Manu should have played more (any in Manu's case) of a part, and started BZ in one of the games. I know options were limited by injuries, and there are doubts about Manu, but in hindsight Karanka's comment says it all.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The 4-2-3-1 that Boro play seems quite effective for away games.

I tend to think that Stephens and Kayal are overloaded in midfield and they could use the help of an extra midfielder. Not just the Boro game.

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
4-3-3 relies on having good wide players so i'm not sure why you're suggesting to change to it now Solly's out?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need a holding defensive midfielder to take the shackles off of Kayal and Stephens and to add the
defensive quality we have lost with LR being injured. Perhaps Richie Towell could be that man if not I wonder who could become available in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here