Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The definitive "this is what we need in the transfer window" thread.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
We have a squad that is depleted, and probably over achieving. They have been brilliant. 2 key players are due to return soon, but they will hardly be able to hit the ground running.

We have a chance of the big time now. How do we bolster the squad to give ourselves the best chance?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
My thoughts:

Left Back: with Bong out till early Feb, and Rosenior probably March it's clear that we need back up in this area. A loan till the end of the season will do. Ward or Pagnocelli are the best shouts for me.

Winger: Sign Van La Parra till the end of the season, or permanently.

I'd also think about signing another, based on Hughton's preference for 4-4-2.

Midfielder: It's clear that Hughton doesn't rate JFC or Holla. I'd expect that he make a move to get competition in this area and sell these two.

Striker: Once Baldock is back we have a strong striking line. Callieri or Balanos would make this exceptionally strong, and it's an area the club are actively exploring.

Other Options: Manu has done nothing so far - although he's hardly been given a chance. Perhaps a run in the team might settle him down. The youth set up is incredibly strong, a run out for a creative player may provide a spark that catalyses the rest of the team (Harper?).

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
In the last week I have seen two players who would immeasurably benefit our squad - Charlie Austin and Albert Adomah. Unfortunately we will not get either of them

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
LB is a must. Sooner rather than later
Now March is out for season and LuaLua no one knows we are a little light. An attacking creative winger be good. Especially if he can cross from set plays.
CM is an area I feel could do with an extra quality body in. Kayal and Stephens are great but are playing 90 mins every game often against 3 CM. Although we have numbers I don t see anyone of their quality unless Towell steps straight up

CF we have 4 good players in there. Personally would only add to it if Wilson is recalled or a special player came on to the market. (Has been a long winded rumour about one such player)

CB again if a Upson type player became available who would tighten up the defence be silly not to take him as we are currently conceding more than the rest of top 5

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Physicality. We got outmuscled at times by qpr and for 90 minutes by Boro.
1. A physical striker who can also defend at corners (Charlie Austin would be ideal, but not realistic).
2. A real threat on the wing to replace Solly/ Kaz
3. A truly dominant CB to replace GG who's suddenly looking his age. An Upson of 3 years ago.
4. And a LB of course.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I will assume all injured are back except Solly.

We need a striker. Priority one.

Another winger. We have good options but need a Solly replacement

LB yes

That i think is it. Keep the great team spirit

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
In order of importance

1. Permanent left back who can cover for Bong, a Rosenior type who can play at both LB and RB would be ideal to provide competition, think Calde will be on his way at the end of the season.

2. Centre back with top flight experience, think Greer's time may well be up at the end of the season,he just doesn't have the legs to perform consistently in every game anymore which is what is required to compete at the top. Loan out Goldson for the rest of the season

3. Winger- With March out for the season we need one, Van La Parra perhaps but he doesn't provide the defensive cover Hughton likes especially away from home. With Baldock and LuaLua hopeful to be back in the next month this hopefully won't be of desperate importance, but think it's still a necessary signing. Loan out Manu for the rest of the season

4. Striker- Hemed off form, Zamora can't play 90 minutes, I personally think Wilson will stay for the season but we need someone to compete with Hemed for a starting spot.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
My thoughts:

Left Back: with Bong out till early Feb, and Rosenior probably March it's clear that we need back up in this area. A loan till the end of the season will do. Ward or Pagnocelli are the best shouts for me.

Winger: Sign Van La Parra till the end of the season, or permanently.

I'd also think about signing another, based on Hughton's preference for 4-4-2.

Midfielder: It's clear that Hughton doesn't rate JFC or Holla. I'd expect that he make a move to get competition in this area and sell these two.

Striker: Once Baldock is back we have a strong striking line. Callieri or Balanos would make this exceptionally strong, and it's an area the club are actively exploring.

Other Options: Manu has done nothing so far - although he's hardly been given a chance. Perhaps a run in the team might settle him down. The youth set up is incredibly strong, a run out for a creative player may provide a spark that catalyses the rest of the team (Harper?).

Lb essential
Winger - probably
Goal scorer - yes please

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
LB is a must. Sooner rather than later
Now March is out for season and LuaLua no one knows we are a little light. An attacking creative winger be good. Especially if he can cross from set plays.
CM is an area I feel could do with an extra quality body in. Kayal and Stephens are great but are playing 90 mins every game often against 3 CM. Although we have numbers I don t see anyone of their quality unless Towell steps straight up

CF we have 4 good players in there. Personally would only add to it if Wilson is recalled or a special player came on to the market. (Has been a long winded rumour about one such player)

CB again if a Upson type player became available who would tighten up the defence be silly not to take him as we are currently conceding more than the rest of top 5
We already have the attacking CM option covered with Towell, don't we? Let's hope he brings his form to Championship level.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
In order of importance

1. Permanent left back who can cover for Bong, a Rosenior type who can play at both LB and RB would be ideal to provide competition, think Calde will be on his way at the end of the season.

2. Centre back with top flight experience, think Greer's time may well be up at the end of the season,he just doesn't have the legs to perform consistently in every game anymore which is what is required to compete at the top. Loan out Goldson for the rest of the season

3. Winger- With March out for the season we need one, Van La Parra perhaps but he doesn't provide the defensive cover Hughton likes especially away from home. With Baldock and LuaLua hopeful to be back in the next month this hopefully won't be of desperate importance, but think it's still a necessary signing. Loan out Manu for the rest of the season

4. Striker- Hemed off form, Zamora can't play 90 minutes, I personally think Wilson will stay for the season but we need someone to compete with Hemed for a starting spot.

Agree with this.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In the last week I have seen two players who would immeasurably benefit our squad - Charlie Austin and Albert Adomah. Unfortunately we will not get either of them

Albert Adomah signed a new 2 year deal with his boyhood club QPR. Think they will go well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here