Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boro set pieces, etc

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
After returning home from the game late yesterday afternoon, I did something I never normally do if we lose & watched my Sky Sports recording of the game. Well at least their three goals against us.
They'd obviously worked out many weeks ago that our main weakness was often set pieces or good balls into the box, even more so now Dunk was going to be missing. They seem to have a team of giants especially the five at the back.
Just like Bournemouth did against Man Utd last weekend, they must have been practicing set pieces hundreds of times in the days leading up to the game. If you study them closely, clearly every player moment is planned in detail. In fact they would have scored from one more had it not been for a fine save by Stockdale. Ok perhaps they were lucky at least two came off so successfully, but obviously all their really hard work leading up to the game paid off big time.
They also knew that should they score the first goal of the game as they have in so many of their games so far this season, with that amazingly organised defence of theirs they were pretty much home & dry in going on to winning the game.
They are a strong excellent side Boro who will clearly go on to gain automatic promotion this season if they escape the horrendous injury problems we've had recently, They've shown every other promotion challaging team that they are by far the best team in this league, but with the money they've spent in the summer I suppose they should be. I do think though we may well have have given them a much tougher game had we played them in the first six weeks of the season when I think we looked at our most dangerous. But good luck to Boro, even though they've stopped our unbeaten run, no one can really complain when you lose to a much better side on the day.:clap2:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Looks to me like our defence are being coached by a wrestling expert. We look disorganised and inept defending set pieces aswell as toothless when the other way around

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
After returning home from the game late yesterday afternoon, I did something I never normally do if we lose & watched my Sky Sports recording of the game. Well at least their three goals against us.
They'd obviously worked out many weeks ago that our main weakness was often set pieces or good balls into the box, even more so now Dunk was going to be missing. They seem to have a team of giants especially the five at the back.
Just like Bournemouth did against Man Utd last weekend, they must have been practicing set pieces hundreds of times in the days leading up to the game. If you study them closely, clearly every player moment is planned in detail. In fact they would have scored from one more had it not been for a fine save by Stockdale. Ok perhaps they were lucky at least two came off so successfully, but obviously all their really hard work leading up to the game paid off big time.
They also knew that should they score the first goal of the game as they have in so many of their games so far this season, with that amazingly organised defence of theirs they were pretty much home & dry in going on to winning the game.
They are a strong excellent side Boro who will clearly go on to gain automatic promotion this season if they escape the horrendous injury problems we've had recently, They've shown every other promotion challaging team that they are by far the best team in this league, but with the money they've spent in the summer I suppose they should be. I do think though we may well have have given them a much tougher game had we played them in the first six weeks of the season when I think we looked at our most dangerous. But good luck to Boro, even though they've stopped our unbeaten run, no one can really complain when you lose to a much better side on the day.:clap2:

They've still lost 4 games to our 1 though so you shouldn't lick their arse too thoroughly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I don't disagree with anything in the original post, I did feel that the ball bounced very kindly for Boro yesterday.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
They've still lost 4 games to our 1 though so you shouldn't lick their arse too thoroughly.

Don't think the OP was licking arse, simply stating it as he saw it.

I have to agree with most of his sentiments, as you don't keep as many clean sheets as 'Boro do by accident. Yes they have lost more than us, but they have won more than we have, consequently they are 3 points clear of us!

Hopefully the Albatross of the unbeaten run is off from round our necks, so hopefully we can throw caution to the wind a little more in some of our away games, after all a win and a defeat is better than 2 draws.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whilst our set pieces are all terrible. Did we get the ball past the first man even once? Their 3rd goal was a perfect example of where to flight the ball. We waste every single set piece.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whilst our set pieces are all terrible. Did we get the ball past the first man even once? Their 3rd goal was a perfect example of where to flight the ball. We waste every single set piece.

It wasn't just set pieces, we didn't get past the last man with the ball, we have no-one at present who can terrorise defences, we desperately need Lua Lua back, on the form he was at the start of the season, or failing that we need to buy a new lively wing man in the transfer window. I may be wrong, but it felt like every ball van La Parra hit was underhit and found the first 'Boro defender, and he doesn't appear to run past defenders, but in to them!

Also Bruno will continue to be tied to his defence duties all the while we have no one in front of him that will allow him to go forward creatively.

We need some decent cover brought in during the transfer window to bolster the squad and that goal a game striker we are so desperately missing...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

They may well have lost four, but they still have more wins and less draws than us.. The inability to turn some of our draws into wins could ultimately prove crucial come the end of the season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here