Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you've seen the new Star Wars film, right? If not, get out of this thread already, and come back when you've seen it.

What did y'all think?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It was a fun film, but it wasn't a great film. I do think how it's received historically will depend largely on the follow up films - if they're good then it'll be seen as a good starting point that introduced some interesting characters; if the follow ups are poor, it'll feel like a missed opportunity with some massive mistakes.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was five when the first film came out in 1977 and remember going to see it at the cinema and being hooked. I tolerated the prequels bit little more and had set my bar accordingly low for The Force Awakens. However, I loved it. Really, really enjoyed it. It made me feel as though as I was 11 or 12 again, as I got swept away in it (and I don't tend to watch anything action/Marvel related these days). It's pretty faithful to its roots and feels a lot more tangible than the prequels as quite a bit less of it is spat out of a computer. It will work as a stand-alone film for the new generation but I reckon there's enough there to please most long standing watchers.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
So Han will come back as a ghost and Kylo is now the enemy that needs to be vanquished.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Absolutely loved it and would go and see it again. Was excited from the opening credits to the end. Ok I am a bit of a Nerd!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I saw it it Thursday evening and still can't stop thinking about it, I was 8 when I saw New Hope funnily enough the same cinema and remember walking out with the same feeling of euphoria then, the goose bumps when Luke turns round at the end were goosey and cold

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Initial impressions are that the plot is just a rehash of 4 and 6, but they used the old characters well. I did try to imagine Mark Hammill's first look at the script. *Flicks through page after page* "So, when do I get to speak?"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
They ****ing killed Han Solo!

Given there ages and story arc at least one of the original cast was bound to be waisted.

i think it could become a bit of a Turkey, I am sure the guy fin and others addressed the girl by 3 different names.Ray, Raya Rayam? woeful editing or continuity?

Also the blurb about a female villain was an anticlimax. I found it more like an episode in a TV Series than a movie.tbh. Was good fun to watch but then so was The Phantom Menace.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
On the whole I thought it was great, with the feel or the original trilogy.
No idea they were going to kill Han so that shocked me.
Main things I didn't like were the slightly cartoonish way they bounced the Falcon off the ground so much and the overly Lord of the Rings feel to Supreme Leader Snoke. I know it's Andy Serkis so it's going to look like that, but it just felt wrong in the movie.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It was ok - a bit too much of a copy of Episode IV for me (very similar narrative), and my partner thought that Snoke looked like something out of a Harry Potter film - she's got a point. But I thought it was fine but as I'm not 7 years old any more, I was slightly underwhelmed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wish I hadn't opened this thread now.

Say it ain't so!
Er, you're not supposed to open the thread if you haven't seen the film. I gave fair warning, and didn't give away anything in the opening post.

Given there ages and story arc at least one of the original cast was bound to be waisted.
For the story purpose, Ben did it because he didn't like the conflict within himself, and he hoped it would relieve the pain. The writers may have done it to make us dislike him more.

i think it could become a bit of a Turkey
What? No chance.
Also the blurb about a female villain was an anticlimax.
Which bit is that?

Can the Force not bring him back?
I can't promise anything, but I'll give it a go.

On that subject, it is said of comics and this type of thing that no one is dead until you at least have a dead body, and we didn't see Han die. He could have landed on Captain Phasma and been rescued, but that would be annoying, and I don't think that's the intention at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here