Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Experienced CB needed in January?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Expecting to be flamed, but here goes.

Greer- Gone off the boil massively since the start of the season, the trademark Greer aimless hoof was back in full force today, maybe as a result of tired legs after previous 2 games

Dunk- Error prone this season, need to be patient with him though

Uwe- Looks good, most of the time, but has made a couple of costly mistakes

Goldson-?

For me, we are missing a player in the Upson mould. Played at the highest level and makes very few mistakes. You cannot afford to give the top sides easy goals from set pieces like we have in the past 3 games.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
It is looking essential. We are conceding too many goals at the moment.

Yep, 7 conceded in 3 games is relegation stats. OK against 3 good sides, but too many set-piece goals being conceded. Greer lets Ayala go for their second, then lets him get free again in the second half. Accept everyone makes mistakes, but don't repeat them

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No. Other areas to worry about first. I'd only want enough CB if we sold Dunk.

Which areas? Genuine question, for me when you score two goals in each of the last two away games we'd be expecting 6 points under Garcia and Poyet. We've only failed to score in 3 games this season too.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
No.

3 good CB's (I'd say 4 but I can't comment on Goldson, even after his debut today). They've not often had a bad day at the office but today was one. No need to replace them though, just clearly some things to work on in training.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The defence is looking very vulnerable right now. I think the season has caught up with up Greer, which given his age, is not surprising. We conceded much too easily today and had we held on against QPR, today would not have been such a blow.

I agree that a quality centre back could make all the difference.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes. Greer and Dunk are great and give their all but if we want to stay top 2 we have to be ruthless. Boro have six clean sheets in a row which is more than we've managed all season.

The simple question is, if the 2012 version of Matthew Upson was available now, who would NOT put him straight into the starting XI?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'd far rather see us get cover for left back, right back and in the wings. If the full backs keep getting beaten the crosses will keep coming in.

Whilst I agree we need cover in these positions, I don't think Calde has done much wrong at left back, which I would have said was the big worry coming in to these 3 games. Greer's challenge vs Derby and Dunk losing his head vs QPR are the moments that have cost us.

Feb 14, 2010
Anyone who saw the defending against Derby and QPR will know the answer. Looks like again poor footballing decisions might costs us. Did we let the wrong players go when they let the youth team lads go to Bournemouth? Question has to be asked.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Anyone who saw the defending against Derby and QPR will know the answer. Looks like again poor footballing decisions might costs us. Did we let the wrong players go when they let the youth team lads go to Bournemouth? Question has to be asked.[/QUOT

Bit late for that now. Too many individual errors creeping in now though, lunging in, letting players get the wrong side. Basic defending, and surprising to see given CH and CC were defenders, and we've generally looked decent defensively last few seasons

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Anyone who saw the defending against Derby and QPR will know the answer. Looks like again poor footballing decisions might costs us. Did we let the wrong players go when they let the youth team lads go to Bournemouth? Question has to be asked.

Oh shut the **** up about the past.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Whilst I agree we need cover in these positions, I don't think Calde has done much wrong at left back, which I would have said was the big worry coming in to these 3 games. Greer's challenge vs Derby and Dunk losing his head vs QPR are the moments that have cost us.

Agree about Calde, but we do keep shifting goals down the right, Bruno must be knackered so I'd like to see a left back come in so Calde can cover for Bruno.

Feb 14, 2010
Oh shut the **** up about the past.

Define "the past". If strict definition then most people wouldnt talk about anything. If not the strict definition then what time scale are we allowed to go back to? The Youth team lads are now playing top flight football in the top flight whist we are not in the top flight. That isn't past, that is present.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I think we are fine for CB cover, we just need some set piece training sessions.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

Yes exactly. One must expect days like this from time to time but the key is when things do go our way to take advantage. We did not do that against Derby and QPR. This was one really hard game too many !!!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Define "the past". If strict definition then most people wouldnt talk about anything. If not the strict definition then what time scale are we allowed to go back to? The Youth team lads are now playing top flight football in the top flight whist we are not in the top flight. That isn't past, that is present.

It's the past that you seem to be completely and utterly hung up on decisions we've made on players in the PAST. Things that happened years ago. There's nothing to suggest they would have had the same careers and the same progression had they stuck with us. As it stood, they were either injured for long periods (Elphick) or rotting in the reserves behind players who were better at the time (Cook).
Everyone else has moved on, time to join us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here