Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

help from computer geeks re watching football highlights on PC please

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I consistently have problems watching the BBC or sky highlights from our games, always stop start, buffering juddering etc and always assumed it was because my puter was too old.
Its probably 3-4 years old.
When checking specs for new machines a lot of them are not much better than what got.

my broadband speed check says I'm getting 55.2 mb/s

And spec of puter is as below, is a new computer the answer or is the problem elsewhere?

puter.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Right click the bar at the bottom of your screen, bring up Task Manager, go to the processes tab, sort in memory order and post up the screen

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If you've got BT Hub 5 then that maybe an issue, the wireless on mine is s**t get up to 70mps but keeps dropping. I've tried everything, now buying an alternative

How does it run if you stick an ethernet cable in between router and laptop?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Also it seems you are using Chrome. Try typing about:chrome in the address bar and let chrome check for updates. Another thing I do over here is set my dns servers to use Google dns rather than the ISPs, but lets start with the easy stuff

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wow - I knew Chrome was crap but that is .... well ... stupidly stealing your PC's memory. Change browser, I'd recommend Firefox.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If you've got BT Hub 5 then that maybe an issue, the wireless on mine is s**t get up to 70mps but keeps dropping. I've tried everything, now buying an alternative

How does it run if you stick an ethernet cable in between router and laptop?

It is connected to a Virgin "super hub 2" via ethernet which i have just checked speed at 55.20 Mb/s

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why do you seem to have so many Chrome tasks running?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
i don't have any problems watching highlights from Sky or BBC using Chrome, but streaming from Sky won't work, as mentioned further up, try firefox. Some apps work better on different browsers, no bad thing to have a couple available to you.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It could also be overheating, clean the fan.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Definitely end the chrome tasks and try Firefox or some other browser. If still an issue, plug the pc direct to the router with an Ethernet cable and retest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Presumably you have a smartphone. Have you tried watching a YouTube video on it using your WiFi ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Highlight the Chrome tasks and end process bottom right hand corner for starters.

Then get a decent browser.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Presumably you have a smartphone. Have you tried watching a YouTube video on it using your WiFi ?

I have smartphones and tablets (iphone and ipad) but don't use them for video playback just browsing, Guess what you saying is it a puter or a connection issue?
will give it a go on them and see if they work ok.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here