Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] WARNING CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS! Official Star Wars discussion thread.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
WARNING CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS!

I just got back from seeing The Force Awakens today, it was bloody great in my humble opinion.

WARNING CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS!

I can't believe Han Solo gets killed, that was shocking, but that scene was very well done.

I also liked Finn and Poe's 'bromance'.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
The lightsaber fights were a bit of a let down though. But at least they had more emotion in them than perfect choreography, unlike the ones in the prequels.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Thought it was OK. nothing special. Harrison Ford is the only star wars character with charisma, hence his movie career and lack of with others and I include the 2 stars here in the parade of average actors..

Wouldn't make my top 5 films of the year. Average.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's mildy well known that Harrison Ford had tried to convince George Lucas to kill off Solo. Also, there's the general pattern that an older guy dies in the first of a trilogy, so it seemed to me to be an obvious plot development, especially as there was no Luke until the very end. I also felt that there wasn't enough of Han and Ben to really give that scene the resonance it deserves. It seems to be more about our connection to Han, than about the father/son betrayal.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He made a very moving speech.

Didn't seem to have aged much since the original movies.

11246204_1127009697325492_1322734444_n.jpg

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I thought it worked well not only as a continuation of the original trilogy, but also how it introduced the new characters. Kylo Ren could easily have been a Darth Vader style villain, all grand quotes and controlled actions, but instead he's wilful and petulant.

The most interesting thing for me was seeing characters from when you were a kid.......... grow old.

Hopefully there'll be more of Poe in the next film, and Rey is the best female action hero in ages. She kicks ass.

Such a fun film, with liberal doses of nostalgia. LOVED IT.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Thought it was fantastic.
So much better than the prequels and I thought really captured the feel of the original 3 films.
Didn't know before the film that Han would die but was predictable once he walked onto the bridge.
Can't wait for the next one now!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The lightsaber fights were a bit of a let down though. But at least they had more emotion in them than perfect choreography, unlike the ones in the prequels.
What was wrong with them? There were no sabre fights between jedi, Rey was bound to be a bit less skilled with one, and Kylo Ren was injured.

Thought it was OK. nothing special. Harrison Ford is the only star wars character with charisma, hence his movie career and lack of with others and I include the 2 stars here in the parade of average actors..

Wouldn't make my top 5 films of the year. Average.
Sacrilege! Daisy Ridley (Rey) was brilliant, as was Adam Driver (Kylo Ren). I liked Boyege (FInn) too.

Just kidding, shame about Hans though. I presume he died a hero?
Nope, he didn't die fighting, he was murdered.

I also felt that there wasn't enough of Han and Ben to really give that scene the resonance it deserves. It seems to be more about our connection to Han, than about the father/son betrayal.
I agree. It would have been good to have seen something between them earlier, even if it was a flash back, but I guess that would have been difficult.

Didn't seem to have aged much since the original movies.
Why would he? Wookies live for about 400 years.

I thought it worked well not only as a continuation of the original trilogy, but also how it introduced the new characters. Kylo Ren could easily have been a Darth Vader style villain, all grand quotes and controlled actions, but instead he's wilful and petulant.
Ren was brilliant. Aggressive and Angry, messed up with obvious issues, but still torn between the light and dark.

Hopefully there'll be more of Poe in the next film, and Rey is the best female action hero in ages. She kicks ass.
I know, she too was great. I thought her expressions throughout the film were spot on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here