Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A result of us doing so well...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...is that, for me, I've become quite a football obsessive.

I wouldn't normally bother watching much other stuff beyond our own action, which I'd supplement with a bit of the Football League Show and, on Sunday evening, MotD2.

I'm now consuming nearly all the football I can get, including all of the live Championship games that are on.

Am I alone in this?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have also been like this so far this season but I think I've reached the point where the Prem this season is sh1t and if the Championship games don't involve us, Boro, Derby or Hull they're a waste of time.

Otherwise, I'd rather watch the rugby.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have also been like this so far this season but I think I've reached the point where the Prem this season is sh1t and if the Championship games don't involve us, Boro, Derby or Hull they're a waste of time.

Otherwise, I'd rather watch the rugby.

?! Chelsea nearly in the relegation zone, Leicester top, this is one of the best Prem seasons in aaages!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm pissed off because I never get a haircut until we lose. I look like a godarned hippy.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
...is that, for me, I've become quite a football obsessive.

I wouldn't normally bother watching much other stuff beyond our own action, which I'd supplement with a bit of the Football League Show and, on Sunday evening, MotD2.

I'm now consuming nearly all the football I can get, including all of the live Championship games that are on.

Am I alone in this?

I am exactly the same, Such a transation from last year where I didn't even care about our games let alone rushing home to watch Cardiff play!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
MotD is good viewing, yes.

Except Palace and Bournemouth games obviously, with their tin pot fans and crappy stadiums. Although I might watch either when they've lost.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
?! Chelsea nearly in the relegation zone, Leicester top, this is one of the best Prem seasons in aaages!

It's been exciting, but in the same way as, say, watching two chav birds fighting in a street over a can of Diamond White.

What I'm saying is the quality is not high.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's been exciting, but in the same way as, say, watching two chav birds fighting in a street over a can of Diamond White.

What I'm saying is the quality is not high.

Bollocks to quality. Competitiveness is more important, say I. Where's the fun in watching Bayern win the league by 32,000 points?

Fair enough - a bit more quality wouldn't go amiss.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm all over the Championship games, watched a bit of the FA Cup but haven't really bothered with the top league through a combination of it having nothing to do with us and the fact that palace are doing reasonably well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bollocks to quality. Competitiveness is more important, say I. Where's the fun in watching Bayern win the league by 32,000 points?

Fair enough - a bit more quality wouldn't go amiss.

I don't disagree with you, it's just that at 47 and having watched the great Liverpool sides of the 70s and 80s, the great Man Utd sides under Ferguson and the invincibles of Arsenal I know that what I'm watching presently is sub-standard. Bournemouth have proved this in the last couple of weeks by beating Chelsea and Man Utd. No disrespect to Bournemouth, but a young Spurs side ripped them apart 5-1, then that same Spurs side got turned over by Newcastle.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'm the complete opposite. Despite our success this season, football is still very much down the pecking order in terms of sports that I follow.
I have no idea who is doing what in the Premier League (apart from Chelsea are doing badly, & Leicester doing well) & I have no idea where anyone else is in our division except the couple around the Albion. I never watch MOTD or The FL Show, & I very rarely watch any football games on TV either...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't disagree with you, it's just that at 47 and having watched the great Liverpool sides of the 70s and 80s, the great Man Utd sides under Ferguson and the invincibles of Arsenal I know that what I'm watching presently is sub-standard. Bournemouth have proved this in the last couple of weeks by beating Chelsea and Man Utd. No disrespect to Bournemouth, but a young Spurs side ripped them apart 5-1, then that same Spurs side got turned over by Newcastle.

It's a tricky one, because that is also balanced out by old football being rubbish. The overall average technical standard nowadays is lightyears ahead, but at the same time we are devoid of many absolutely top, top class players now Suarez buggered off. Aguero and Ozil I suppose, but not many others now.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm the complete opposite. Despite our success this season, football is still very much down the pecking order in terms of sports that I follow.
I have no idea who is doing what in the Premier League (apart from Chelsea are doing badly, & Leicester doing well) & I have no idea where anyone else is in our division except the couple around the Albion. I never watch MOTD or The FL Show, & I very rarely watch any football games on TV either...

Are you Ian Holloway ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a tricky one, because that is also balanced out by old football being rubbish. The overall average technical standard nowadays is lightyears ahead, but at the same time we are devoid of many absolutely top, top class players now Suarez buggered off. Aguero and Ozil I suppose, but not many others now.

But how old is old football? Bergkamp, Zola, Keane, Giggs, Schmeichel, Shearer, Adams, Walker, Butcher, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker, Gazza were all plying their trade 20-25 years ago and all would walk into any of the Top 4 sides in the Prem. How many players in today's Prem can be considered as good as that lot? Terry and Ya Ya Toure are past their best, Hazard's having a mare as is Rooney. I'll give you Sergio Aguero, and that's about it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Aguero, Ozil, Kompany, Martial, Alexis Sanchez, and of course Wilfred Zaha.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But how old is old football? Bergkamp, Zola, Keane, Giggs, Schmeichel, Shearer, Adams, Walker, Butcher, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker, Gazza were all plying their trade 20-25 years ago and all would walk into any of the Top 4 sides in the Prem. How many players in today's Prem can be considered as good as that lot? Terry and Ya Ya Toure are past their best, Hazard's having a mare as is Rooney. I'll give you Sergio Aguero, and that's about it.

Fair point, well it's a sliding scale isn't it? My point is your average player at, say, Everton, is going to be of a higher basic technical ability than the equivalent player 30 years ago - probably in large part due to the influx of foreigners back in the 90s. It's also that players are physical athletes now, and I read some stats regarding average ground covered nowadays vs 1985 and there was a stark contrast.

Your list there has made me realise how old I'm getting as well, scary.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Aguero, Ozil, Kompany, Martial, Alexis Sanchez, and of course Wilfred Zaha.

I think Martial's got a while to go to prove he deserves to be in that company. Zaha goes without saying, he's alongside Bebe, Jordi Cruyff and Eric Djemba-Djemba in the true greats of United's past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here