Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon prime. Do you use it? We have it and did not realise.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I picked up my wife's iPad and went to order on Amazon. I noticed a little box saying Prime. She knew nothing about it. I looked into it further and found that she had been given a months free trial from Dec 4th and on jan 3rd we will automatically be billed £79 on our credit card if we want to continue. So be aware. Check up on your account if you or your wife have used it recently.
On the other hand how good is Amazon prime ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Very good. Lots of TV & Films, plus of course the quick delivery.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I thinks its good value, what with the delivery and TV/Films. For the delivery aspect it depends on how much stuff you order. But as Amazon sells pretty much everything for less then most other places I find we order quite a lot. I figure the membership pays for itself as I typically downgrade delivery (unless I really need it quick) to get the digital promotional credits which I use to fund book purchases for my Kindle reader.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Many have fallen for this trick, best avoid Prime in my book.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Have to admit I was 1 of the 1000's that fell for the "3 months free Prime" to get a delivery quickly once and completely forgot to cancel it, and didn't realise until they took £79 from bank account.

I know it is 100% my fault, but I really do think it is an abhorent practice to do it the way they do. Here, have something for free, but if you forget in 3 months time we're going to charge you £79. :nono:

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
To be fair, you're never automatically given a free trial without you knowing, you have to actually click 'try amazon prime'.

Although their automatic renew policy is a load of shite yes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Happy to have Prime for the free/quick delivery. I'm still to wade in for this Christmas.

It now includes the old LoveFilm (TV shows and films) as well as Prime Music (c1m tracks I believe), Prime Photos (free back-up of all your photos) and a Kindle lending library (a limited selection of e-books you can borrow to read free of charge).

Well worth it, I think.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
To be fair, you're never automatically given a free trial without you knowing, you have to actually click 'try amazon prime'.

Although their automatic renew policy is a load of shite yes.

My wife had never even heard of Amazon Prime and unwittingly clicked on something.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Prime is brilliant.........if you use Amazon regularly.

Free next day delivery plus Amazon video (some very good shows, I'm watching the Man in the High Castle at present) and music.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Some discounts work against being a member of Prime. Purchased a birthday present for my nephew last summer along with a pack of batteries and soon realised once he'd started playing with it that the batteries wouldn't last long. An adaptor was available on Amazon for £25 if a Prime member and £6 if you were not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My wife had never even heard of Amazon Prime and unwittingly clicked on something.

I did that when it first came out. I check our bank account regularly and saw £50 come out. I contacted the bank, who contacted Amazon. To be fair to them, they had received quite a few complaints about how clear the instructions were and I got a full refund.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some discounts work against being a member of Prime. Purchased a birthday present for my nephew last summer along with a pack of batteries and soon realised once he'd started playing with it that the batteries wouldn't last long. An adaptor was available on Amazon for £25 if a Prime member and £6 if you were not.

I think you misinterpreted what you were seeing.

If something show a Prime label next to it, it means Prime (fast/free) delivery is available. You can order something else that is not Prime-able and you'll get standard delivery. Non-Prime stuff from some Amazon Marketplace sellers may be cheaper.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Have to admit I was 1 of the 1000's that fell for the "3 months free Prime" to get a delivery quickly once and completely forgot to cancel it, and didn't realise until they took £79 from bank account.

I know it is 100% my fault, but I really do think it is an abhorent practice to do it the way they do. Here, have something for free, but if you forget in 3 months time we're going to charge you £79. :nono:

They don't make it clear, quite the opposite in fact, but if you sign up for the free trial you can cancel straight away and still use Prime until it expires.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bag has it and included Mrs dtg as friends and family. We use it all the time.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Am with Amazon prime and use it frequently. TV /entertainment is good and its useful for my wife to be able to order stuff to be delivered next day as we have two babies at home so getting into the City center isn't always an option.

If for whatever reason delivery is not next day, I fire off an email to Amazon who typically have added 1-3 months membership extension onto my account by way of an appology.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I think you misinterpreted what you were seeing.

If something show a Prime label next to it, it means Prime (fast/free) delivery is available. You can order something else that is not Prime-able and you'll get standard delivery. Non-Prime stuff from some Amazon Marketplace sellers may be cheaper.

Definitely not, my brother, who has a Prime subscription, was going to order the adaptor but was quoted the full price. I then logged into my non-Prime account and was quoted the discount price.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Many have fallen for this trick, best avoid Prime in my book.

Why?

Normally excellent service means I don't have to fight traffic going into town, don't have to pay ridiculous parking charges, free returns. You're right, best avoided. Now where did I put my car keys-I fancy sitting for ages in traffic then paying more than necessary for Christmas gifts?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Definitely not, my brother, who has a Prime subscription, was going to order the adaptor but was quoted the full price. I then logged into my non-Prime account and was quoted the discount price.

I'm sorry, but I still believe you're probably mistaken there.

It won't have been the exact same item from the same merchant. If you are with Prime, Amazon promotes the Prime-able listings, but you'll still have non-Prime-able Marketplace sellers available to you. So what is presented to a Prime member and a non-Prime member (or non-signed in user) may look different as when you are logged in as Prime member, Amazon knows stuff about you which shapes the algorithm as to how things are presented.

The £6 item would have been available to the Prime member, it may not have been as obvious however due to the prominence of the Prime-able item.

I'd be very interested if you were able to find a single example of where the same item is being sold by one merchant at two difference prices based on Prime membership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here