Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next years Championship will be harder

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The Championship this year is settling down with us, Boro, Derby & Hull fighting it out for three places but in reality the top 8 or 9 could easily hold their own with the bottom 8 in the PL. So coming down will be three from Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich, Swansea and other teams who know how to get promoted back up and will have the cash to spend (note I've not put Chelsea). If it's hard this season will next season be harder?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whoever comes down will do so on merit; they will be no better than QPR, Hull or Burnley. Likewise for the teams that get promoted from League 1.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Championship this year is settling down with us, Boro, Derby & Hull fighting it out for three places but in reality the top 8 or 9 could easily hold their own with the bottom 8 in the PL. So coming down will be three from Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich, Swansea and other teams who know how to get promoted back up and will have the cash to spend (note I've not put Chelsea). If it's hard this season will next season be harder?

You could say that most years. I think one of the teams could go into free fall, probably Villa.

I wouldn't discard Burnley this year either.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would still snap your hands of for 5th this season at the moment.

Boro
Derby
Hull
Burnley

As it stands with squads etc I expect them to all finish above us.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Boro
Derby
Hull
Burnley

REALLY?

I would be gutted not to finish in the top 2 now after going so long undefeated.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Every year people think the championship will be 'harder' - i'm guessing it's because the teams relegated always come down with players that they've signed whilst in the premier league and people think that this makes them stronger, which in fairness is sometimes true.

But what about teams like Bolton, Reading, Fulham, Wolves, Blackburn etc etc who have all very much struggled since they were relegated?

If you've watched Villa this season, you'd realise that they would also struggle in this division at the moment, they are utter SHITE.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The first goal is win the next 2, to be top at the halfway point.

Then the goal is to beat Ipswich and Wolves at home to still be top when the injured start to return, and the January new recruits start to arrive :rock:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Boro
Derby
Hull
Burnley

I wonder if Bournemouth would've done the same last year....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"The Championship will be harder next season" - said EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Meaningless truism. Some of the sides coming down look utter SHITHOUSE.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Boro
Derby
Hull
Burnley

And then we'd have to play two of those teams to get through the playoffs. There's no reason we can't keep up our current form, especially if there is a bit of strengthening and/or returns from injuries over the next month or so.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I think the league will continue to improve in terms of quality, but that is more a consequence of the ludicrous money of the premier league and how it filters down when teams are relegated.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]

The only possibly legitimate argument for the Champ becoming harder next year is that FFP relaxation will mean more teams can legally chuck a bit more cash at a promotion punt. But even that doesn't make it 'harder', as a) everyone is in the same boat (cash notwithstanding) and b) it lessens the impact of parachute payments. So I'd say that is spurious as well.

The only real measures of how hard a league is are the number of points required to either get 2nd or make the playoffs and I haven't seen any trends to support this, though happy to be stat****ed.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Surely more money available will just mean the same quality as now but costing more as players and their agents inflate prices accordingly. This increase will, most likely, then be passed on to fans as increased ticket prices and merchandising.

I agree. None of this actually means the league will be any 'harder' next year.

The only way a league gets harder is if external conditions change which allow a greater number of other teams to achieve more, relative to your position. That's not happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here