Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Federal Reserve.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Makes no difference to the UK the only way interest rates will go up is when the housing market is reigned in

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Makes no difference to the UK the only way interest rates will go up is when the housing market is reigned in

One could say that the housing market could be reigned in by increasing interest rates....Carney has indicated that he isen't looking to increase ..but then he said at the beginning of the year he would and hasn't...work that one out

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One could say that the housing market could be reigned in by increasing interest rates....Carney has indicated that he isen't looking to increase ..but then he said at the beginning of the year he would and hasn't...work that one out

Totally flawed and would result in multiple mortgage defaulting as everyone assumes low interest rates are the norm now.

Veterans will remember 15% interest rates

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can't see UK interest rates rising for the foreseeable future, at least 9 months to a year.

With Oil prices still falling, and inflation at 0.1% there's no pressure for a rate rise.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Totally flawed and would result in multiple mortgage defaulting as everyone assumes low interest rates are the norm now.

Veterans will remember 15% interest rates

I'm not saying it is going to happen...but raising rates has been used as a weapon to deflate a housing bubble...seeing as this 'recovery' was built on rising house prices...they are going have to be very careful ...oh yes and I remember those rates ....remember the day (Lamont?) base rate went up 3% to protect the pound against the mark...horrible times..I was working for a bank in commercial mortgages ...total mess....I just think Carney is a bit strange in his comments

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But maybe a small rise wouldn't be a bad thing as it would slow house price rises down.

And give savers some cheer.

There are better rates for savers if you shop around, just bunged all my dosh into my current account as 3% but taxed far better then the shitty building society interest rate

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tories are going to be caught between a rock and a hard place soon, the long term economic plan might just turn out to be a dud

As an ardent blue in more ways than one you are very correct, the economic plan required to get us out of this mess is extremely difficult and there is a very thin line to get it exactly right.

However the economy is improving but the figures on jobless are slightly massaged

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I can't see Carney using interest rates to put the brakes on housing. He's alluded to using other more specific tools to do this if he needs to.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Expected 0.25% increase for us is Spring 2017. Earliest Autumn 2016. Around 1.5% in 2018. As said on here financial markets could determine otherwise.

I have not worked for 18 years due to the withdrawal from the ERM on Black Wednesday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can't see Carney using interest rates to put the brakes on housing. He's alluded to using other more specific tools to do this if he needs to.

Oh I agree.....but if he doesn't think a brake needs to be put on rising house prices (south east only?) at the moment.....I wonder when he thinks he should

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I wonder if we have been historically sold a lemon regarding interest rates, I grew up in a time when interest rates were seen to control every part of our economic life.

Even when we seem to have eased out of economic meltdown we still have an interest rate that will not be back to our usual levels perhaps for a few years and our economy seems working quite well.

Did we always need to be hammered with interest hikes previously ??

For the record we need to treat economists like football managers, make them more accountable why do they seem to misjudge another set of data and how this might effect future rates blah blah. lets have a league table for this lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here